If not Sam, who then?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Big Sam took Bolton to 6th from the bottom of the table on a net spend of practically nothing...

That is because he signed mainly players past there best or players nobody wanted so didn't have to pay much in fee's but wages at Bolton were running at £42 million.

Do you have proof that their wages were running at £42m? I mean, they don't even make that a year do they?

Have this for now http://forum.football.co.uk/about420.html  Gartside mouthing off in 2005 about paying big wages. I will be back as soon as find the article I was reading earlier.

Sorry but that's not proof and he does say they can afford to pay a reasonable wage which indicates Bolton could afford it and therefore them paying footballers thousands of pounds a week is err, no different to any other club.

Anyway I thought that's how a club signs good players, by offering them good wages. Bet most of our lot are on more money.

Guest Knightrider

Read on the L'Equipe website that the German press are saying van Basten will take over at Bayern Munich after Euro 2008....time for a campaign methinks. ;)

Not enough golf courses for  Hitzfeld so |I'd rule him out.

Jol? Two top 5 finishes having spent a s*** load of money, choked it in important matches, both league and cup competitions. Sacked at Spurs for losing 7 in first 10 games or something. So let me get this right, you'd go to the great lengths of sacking Big Sam who has us a few points off 6th for Jol to get us into the top 6? He would need time and money... lots of it.

I'll stick with Big Sam.

As for van Gaal... :lol:

He wouldn't last two minutes here with his weird formations, complex tactics and playing players out of positions, which he loves to do. Big Sam with glitter on.

By glitter you mean... trophies... right?? Well i'll take that! Isn't that what all of us on this forum desire?

Guest Knightrider

Jol? Two top 5 finishes having spent a s*** load of money, choked it in important matches, both league and cup competitions. Sacked at Spurs for losing 7 in first 10 games or something. So let me get this right, you'd go to the great lengths of sacking Big Sam who has us a few points off 6th for Jol to get us into the top 6? He would need time and money... lots of it.

I'll stick with Big Sam.

As for van Gaal... :lol:

He wouldn't last two minutes here with his weird formations, complex tactics and playing players out of positions, which he loves to do. Big Sam with glitter on.

By glitter you mean... trophies... right?? Well i'll take that! Isn't that what all of us on this forum desire?

For van Gaal or anyone for that matter to win trophies here they would need to spend lots of money and be giving some time and even then I still don't think he would win us the league so I'd rather stick with Big Sam, or rather give him the money and time instead. If anything appointing van Gaal would lift already high expectations even higher so you could imagine the pressure he'd be under if we weren't winning the World Cup by game 6.

Anyway, NUFC don't do trophies.

Guest Knightrider

Bilic? Seem's to be taking to management very well and from interviews he sounds very professional and on the ball

:lol:

So sounding professional is a good reason to hire someone?

We may as well appoint Shearer if we're going down that route.

Big Sam took Bolton to 6th from the bottom of the table on a net spend of practically nothing...

That is because he signed mainly players past there best or players nobody wanted so didn't have to pay much in fee's but wages at Bolton were running at £42 million.

Do you have proof that their wages were running at £42m? I mean, they don't even make that a year do they?

Have this for now http://forum.football.co.uk/about420.html  Gartside mouthing off in 2005 about paying big wages. I will be back as soon as find the article I was reading earlier.

Sorry but that's not proof and he does say they can afford to pay a reasonable wage which indicates Bolton could afford it and therefore them paying footballers thousands of pounds a week is err, no different to any other club.

Anyway I thought that's how a club signs good players, by offering them good wages. Bet most of our lot are on more money.

Well I knew that wasnt proof, that was just a filler to keep you at bay man ;D. http://www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/General/0,,1004~1166190,00.html

As for the above it is not the point I was making, I was referring to your remark about Sam & his net transfer spend at Bolton, because I remember Gartside being on TV when fans were on his back about lack of spending & he said at Bolton wages are part of the the transfer budget. A lot of the players he signed at Bolton were  past there peak & had little or no fee but they could still could do a good job for a few years.  I like Fergie but I reckon he would have one of the highest negative net spends in the world of football for his time at Man Utd.  I dont think using simple mathematics as net spend is a good indicator that is my point. Happy Christmas :thup:

HTT your completely up Allardyce's arse and have been since day one, and any manager any one suggests your going to just pick faults with and reject as inferior. So suggesting any other manager for this thread becomes completely pointless.

HTT your completely up Allardyce's arse and have been since day one, and any manager any one suggests your going to just pick faults with and reject as inferior. So suggesting any other manager for this thread becomes completely pointless.

Pretty much summed up what I was just about to post. HTT was the fella who was telling us how brilliant Allardyce is and how great we are going to be when he was linked/took over in his numerous mega posts he likes to make.

Jurgen Klinsmann anyone ?

I cant justify the suggestion with a page length of tactical bullet point facts. Only that he is a well known name which would attract other decent players and he appeared, during the Germany World Cup, to play an attractive, attacking style of play which I am certain would be popular.

We aint going to be able to attract anyone who's CV is laden with European trophies so we may as well think about a younger man just starting his managerial career.

Probably bound for bigger things though

Pretty much summed up what I was just about to post. HTT was the fella who was telling us how brilliant Allardyce is and how great we are going to be when he was linked/took over in his numerous mega posts he likes to make.

Maybe so, but he does have a reasonable point that there are few alternatives. Certainly not many, if any, that are guaranteed to be better.

I never said there are any better alternatives, just that suggesting any in this thread is fairly pointless because of the inevitable response they receive. My opinion on it is that we keep sam, aim to push for 7/8/9th place in the table BUT with Ashley/Mort being ready and very willing to cut Sam loose and pounce on an opportunity if a top manager becomes available.

How sellable is the club to the really top level managers out there? I cant help but think that nufc dont have a great repuataions amongst the managers of the game. Cant really see anyone coming who's already got a proven track record - unless :

(i) they're short of a few... :idiot2:

or

(ii) desperate to join the english premiership

I dont really think that any manager is gonna be sold by the potetial of the club anymore, not after the way the past managers have been treated. If Allardyce was to get the sack, that definitely wont help the reputation.

People can speculate all they like about who would be a suitable replacement for Allardyce, but its a waste of time - Ashley and Mort will have their own ideas, and you can bet every last penny that they WON'T be holding a popular vote amongst supporters as to who that replacement should be, any more than Ashley would give his employees at Sports Direct a vote on who the next CE should be..

What they WILL undoubtedly do is to look at every possible alternative and take the advice of people in whom they trust BUT - at the end of the day they will be making the decision.

They are unlikely to be making any change prior to the end of the season anyway...

Lets be quite honest here - all on this site(with a couple of exceptions)will have more faith that Mort & Ashley will make a better choice for the job than their predecessor - certainly, I do, however the person chosen will not, inevitably, be welcomed by all fans..

As has been shown by this thread, there are several candidates being put forward by different people, most of whom are well-known International figures, but this does not mean that the right guy will come from that list.

I believe that Newcastle IS a difficult club to manage and requires a special sort of person to do it ; many so-called top foreigners would not fit in because the club is culturally different from most other top English sides - I would say that only Liverpool comes close in that respect, but is easier for foreigners to manage there because a) it is closer to London and b) it already has a reputation worldwide.

If NUFC did not have such a big support base, we would simply fall into the same category as clubs like Pompey and Brum - good, but not great , fan-base, with limited worldwide appeal, but we DO have a much bigger potential than most clubs.

Given that many foreigners would be unaware of what this club COULD become, we may be looking at appointing a young and rising British manager who DOES know what could be achieved.

People should remember that Shankly and Clough built great CLUBS from very small beginnings - Shanks went to Liverpool after successful stints at 2 lower league sides, Carlisle & Huddersfield ; he took over a Liverpool who were in the second Div, getting around 15,000 per game - and this was in the early 60s when crowds were decent..he left them in such a good state 13 years later, that they went on to win the European Cup because he built a CLUB, not just a team..

Likewise, Clough was given a chance at Hartlepool at the age of 29 when his career as a CF was ended by injury ; he got them promotion for the first time, went to Derby and made them into a title-winning side at a time when Liverpool were top dogs, then did the same for Forest...

There WILL be someone out there who can do such a job for NUFC, but it IS a massive & unique one - sadly, I have come to the conclusion that Allardyce is not going to be the man for the job and it is beginning to look as if he knows it -  I am glad I don't have to make the choice as to who the right man is, but I wouldn't rule out people like Tony Mowbray, doing a great job at WBA after starting well at Hibs ; young managers like that deserve at least an interview to see what their philosophies on the game are..

The difference between Allardyce & people like Mowbray are that Allardyce has based his past successes at Bolton & Notts Co on long-ball 'fightball' whereas Mowbray's teams play well-structured attacking football - I am sure our fans would accept a season or two of gradual progress as long as they could SEE progress being made, and were being entertained also - something that is NOT happening now...

Mowbray is a NE lad too, so knows about the club's potential and fans..

What IS true, is that the Club and its supporters, deserve the best that can be obtained, both in the manager's office and on the field.

Simple we never hire a champions league manager in the past the next manager should be a past Champion leage manager and my first choice will be Jose Mourinho. Young hungry and ready, if not I will go for Lippi. non of this guys come unless we show them real ambition and loads of money.

People can speculate all they like about who would be a suitable replacement for Allardyce, but its a waste of time - Ashley and Mort will have their own ideas, and you can bet every last penny that they WON'T be holding a popular vote amongst supporters as to who that replacement should be, any more than Ashley would give his employees at Sports Direct a vote on who the next CE should be..

What they WILL undoubtedly do is to look at every possible alternative and take the advice of people in whom they trust BUT - at the end of the day they will be making the decision.

They are unlikely to be making any change prior to the end of the season anyway...

Lets be quite honest here - all on this site(with a couple of exceptions)will have more faith that Mort & Ashley will make a better choice for the job than their predecessor - certainly, I do, however the person chosen will not, inevitably, be welcomed by all fans..

As has been shown by this thread, there are several candidates being put forward by different people, most of whom are well-known International figures, but this does not mean that the right guy will come from that list.

I believe that Newcastle IS a difficult club to manage and requires a special sort of person to do it ; many so-called top foreigners would not fit in because the club is culturally different from most other top English sides - I would say that only Liverpool comes close in that respect, but is easier for foreigners to manage there because a) it is closer to London and b) it already has a reputation worldwide.

If NUFC did not have such a big support base, we would simply fall into the same category as clubs like Pompey and Brum - good, but not great , fan-base, with limited worldwide appeal, but we DO have a much bigger potential than most clubs.

Given that many foreigners would be unaware of what this club COULD become, we may be looking at appointing a young and rising British manager who DOES know what could be achieved.

People should remember that Shankly and Clough built great CLUBS from very small beginnings - Shanks went to Liverpool after successful stints at 2 lower league sides, Carlisle & Huddersfield ; he took over a Liverpool who were in the second Div, getting around 15,000 per game - and this was in the early 60s when crowds were decent..he left them in such a good state 13 years later, that they went on to win the European Cup because he built a CLUB, not just a team..

Likewise, Clough was given a chance at Hartlepool at the age of 29 when his career as a CF was ended by injury ; he got them promotion for the first time, went to Derby and made them into a title-winning side at a time when Liverpool were top dogs, then did the same for Forest...

There WILL be someone out there who can do such a job for NUFC, but it IS a massive & unique one - sadly, I have come to the conclusion that Allardyce is not going to be the man for the job and it is beginning to look as if he knows it -  I am glad I don't have to make the choice as to who the right man is, but I wouldn't rule out people like Tony Mowbray, doing a great job at WBA after starting well at Hibs ; young managers like that deserve at least an interview to see what their philosophies on the game are..

The difference between Allardyce & people like Mowbray are that Allardyce has based his past successes at Bolton & Notts Co on long-ball 'fightball' whereas Mowbray's teams play well-structured attacking football - I am sure our fans would accept a season or two of gradual progress as long as they could SEE progress being made, and were being entertained also - something that is NOT happening now...

Mowbray is a NE lad too, so knows about the club's potential and fans..

What IS true, is that the Club and its supporters, deserve the best that can be obtained, both in the manager's office and on the field.

Agree with you about Mowbray after watching WBA and Charlton game the other week it was probably one of the most entertaining games I have seen in a long time.