Today's Other Games

Decky

One thing I would say about Villa.  I think they're a more complete team than Man City, I can see Villa finishing in 5th ahead of Everton and City and it wouldn't surprise me if they finished ahead of Liverpool as well.  Been impressed most of the season.

How so? City are better stocked in keeper and defender positions. City and Villa are evenly matched in midfield though Elano's quality stands out. The only place Villa are better stocked is the forward line, but then City could play lone striker and even MPenza and Vassel look decent under Sven. So I wouldn't say that Villa are a more complete team.

Guest kingdawson

How was the ref in your match, Brum? Seems a bit pernickety.

Thought he was ok, really. Didn't notice him to be fair, which is probably a good thing.

Every foul we commited resulted in a yellow card but you lot commit the exact same foul and he just gives you a warning. Every 50/50 went your way to but tbf you lot deserved the win.

Guest kingdawson

One thing I would say about Villa.  I think they're a more complete team than Man City, I can see Villa finishing in 5th ahead of Everton and City and it wouldn't surprise me if they finished ahead of Liverpool as well.  Been impressed most of the season.

How so? City are better stocked in keeper and defender positions. City and Villa are evenly matched in midfield though Elano's quality stands out. The only place Villa are better stocked is the forward line, but then City could play lone striker and even MPenza and Vassel look decent under Sven. So I wouldn't say that Villa are a more complete team.

hmmmmm Villa have the better keeper, both have an excellent defence (prefer villa's though if i have to choose), Midfields is about the same and Villa have better forwards. My team from the 2 clubs would be:

-----------------------Carson------------------------

Corluka-----------Richards-----Laursen-----Bouma

Young------------Elano---------Barry----M Petrov

--------------------Carew--------Agbonlahor---------

and thats me being rather generous to City by putting Corluka on rather then switch Richards to rb and put Mellberg in the centre. Villa have a thin squad though but thats just the same as City tbh.

How was the ref in your match, Brum? Seems a bit pernickety.

Thought he was ok, really. Didn't notice him to be fair, which is probably a good thing.

Every foul we commited resulted in a yellow card but you lot commit the exact same foul and he just gives you a warning. Every 50/50 went your way to but tbf you lot deserved the win.

My criticism of him would be that he failed to spot your penchant for taking free kicks either with the ball stilll moving or absolutely miles away from where they were supposed to be taken (Huddlestone did this several times).

I thought he was ok, by and large.

and thats me being rather generous to City by putting Corluka on rather then switch Richards to rb and put Mellberg in the centre. Villa have a thin squad though but thats just the same as City tbh.

Our squad is far too small - by some way the smallest in the PL. Any Villa fan will tell you that that is our main problem at the moment.

Fortunately, the window is open. We just need to have one of the quality of the last January window rather than the shit one we had in the summer.

I put Villa in 4-3-3, City in 4-5-1

Villa:

Carson (Sorensen)

Mellberg, Davies, Laursen, Bouma (Knight)

Petrov, Reo Coker, Barry (Maloney)

Agbonlahor, Carew, Young (Moore)

City:

Hart (Isakson)

Corluka, Richards, Dunne, Garrido (Onuoha, Ball)

Ireland, Elano, Hammann, Johnson, Petrov (Fernandez, Geovanni, Vassel)

Bianchi (MPenza)

Personally I will prefer City over Villa. And as you say Villa have a very thin squad so I don't think they are any more complete than City. But I suspect that sooner or later both City and Villa would have a mini crash. Everton is my bet to last the marathon of UEFA spots, even though they will lose Yakubu and Pienaar to ANC.

Our squad is far too small - by some way the smallest in the PL. Any Villa fan will tell you that that is our main problem at the moment.

Fortunately, the window is open. We just need to have one of the quality of the last January window rather than the s*** one we had in the summer.

Still think Harewood at 4M? is a good business?  :shifty:

I'd like to see how the two clubs would cope with the kind of recurring injuries to important players we've had this season, Villa in particular.

Are you still in the anti David Moyes camp :shifty: To be fair Moyes changed after the booing last season against someone I can't remember now. He has been a lot more offensive minded and it is good to see him playing 2 strikers now where possible.

Fortunately, the window is open. We just need to have one of the quality of the last January window rather than the s*** one we had in the summer.

Still think Harewood at 4M? is a good business?  :shifty:

No I don't.

We bought Harewood in the summer, which I described as shit.

I'd like to see how the two clubs would cope with the kind of recurring injuries to important players we've had this season, Villa in particular.

wrong teams forum to whinge about injuries after our last couple of seasons...even now allardyce's bolton had the fewest games missed through injury...can anyone think of someone who hasn't been out injured this season for us ?

Carew has had two spells of injury.

We've been lucky though, you are right. Our new training centre, which apparently cost a fortune, has probably had an effect on keeping injuries to a minimum.

However, you could also say that you've got a deeper squad to be able to handle injuries. If we had 3 or so players out, we'd actually struggle to name 11 starters and 5 reserves without calling up nobodies from the stiffs.

No I don't.

We bought Harewood in the summer, which I described as s***.

My apologies I must have mistaken you with someone else

I don't think there's a Villa fan alive who'd describe Marlon at 4m as a good move. I also think that includes MON these days, too.

Guest kingdawson

I put Villa in 4-3-3, City in 4-5-1

Villa:

Carson (Sorensen)

Mellberg, Davies, Laursen, Bouma (Knight)

Petrov, Reo Coker, Barry (Maloney)

Agbonlahor, Carew, Young (Moore)

City:

Hart (Isakson)

Corluka, Richards, Dunne, Garrido (Onuoha, Ball)

Ireland, Elano, Hammann, Johnson, Petrov (Fernandez, Geovanni, Vassel)

Bianchi (MPenza)

Personally I will prefer City over Villa. And as you say Villa have a very thin squad so I don't think they are any more complete than City. But I suspect that sooner or later both City and Villa would have a mini crash. Everton is my bet to last the marathon of UEFA spots, even though they will lose Yakubu and Pienaar to ANC.

Agreed. Everton just keep picking up points in places where you expect them to drop points. Moyes has got them playing some nice football but above everything else, there so fucking hard to break down. Unlike my beloved club, Everton are a team full of fighters (similiar to villa).

You forgot to add Gardner to the villa midfield and whilst were talking about injuries, weve been unlucky with them yet again this season O0

But I suspect that sooner or later both City and Villa would have a mini crash.

I suspect we have already had ours - 1 point from 9 from the start of December. Or was it 1 from 12? Can't remember, but it was a dodgy spell.

Are you still in the anti David Moyes camp :shifty: To be fair Moyes changed after the booing last season against someone I can't remember now. He has been a lot more offensive minded and it is good to see him playing 2 strikers now where possible.

It was against Spurs when the scores were level at 1-1 and Tottenham there for the taking late on. The game was crying out for a striker so he puts Tony Hibbert on at right back. It's probably the loudest booing I've ever heard for a substitution. Then ten seconds later we conceded and lost 2-1.

I was against the boring, cautious management of that period  and felt a change was needed. Since that game he's changed a lot so a new man isn't necessary.

Some of the football we've played this season has been lovely to watch and only Arsenal and Man Utd have scored more goals than us. That booing was one of the best things to ever happen to David Moyes.

Carew has had two spells of injury.

We've been lucky though, you are right. Our new training centre, which apparently cost a fortune, has probably had an effect on keeping injuries to a minimum.

However, you could also say that you've got a deeper squad to be able to handle injuries. If we had 3 or so players out, we'd actually struggle to name 11 starters and 5 reserves without calling up nobodies from the stiffs.

That's more what i was getting at mate :thup:

Agreed. Everton just keep picking up points in places where you expect them to drop points. Moyes has got them playing some nice football but above everything else, there so f****** hard to break down. Unlike my beloved club, Everton are a team full of fighters (similiar to villa).

You forgot to add Gardner to the villa midfield and whilst were talking about injuries, weve been unlucky with them yet again this season O0

I didn't add Gardner because O'Neill seems to mistrust him, Cahill as well. in hindsight I should have put them in if I was going to put Vassell in Citeh squad.

Not only Everton players are grafters, some of them are artists too. Arteta, Cahill, Lescott all have both flair and graft in them. Pienaar and Yakubu have now had hardwork ethic drilled into their brain. This is the benefit of giving a manager sometimes to get the required players. When you look at Moyes track records, he has made many mistakes and he has changed and evolved. This is the benefit of giving some time to a manager, so that he is allowed to learn and change without worrying that he must produce instant dramatic results. Costly s*** signings -> Loan with permanent deal in sight; Too conservative -> More offensive now; All graft and no flair -> Every single player bought in this & last season all have quality in them. How long does it take Moyes to finally produce such a team, with a strong young spine of both graft and flair? 5 years. And Everton are in much better financial health now as well.

I wish some Newcastle fans will be more patient to Sam Allardyce.

Guest kingdawson

Some of the football we've played this season has been lovely to watch and only Arsenal and Man Utd have scored more goals than us. That booing was one of the best things to ever happen to David Moyes.

Sorry mate but i think you'll find that we are the premier leagues leading goalscorers :thup: :thup:

It was against Spurs when the scores were level at 1-1 and Tottenham there for the taking late on. The game was crying out for a striker so he puts Tony Hibbert on at right back. It's probably the loudest booing I've ever heard for a substitution. Then ten seconds later we conceded and lost 2-1.

I was against the boring, cautious management of that period  and felt a change was needed. Since that game he's changed a lot so a new man isn't necessary.

A manager with ears, and something of substance between them.

Sorry mate but i think you'll find that we are the premier leagues leading goalscorers :thup: :thup:

I'll have to brush up on my stats. It was correct as of a couple of weeks ago!