Should Sam Allardyce get the Sack? (Main Page Poll)

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where's the evidence to say he won't turn it around? There isn't any, it's all about opinions.

Well, a manager's past performance and record could suggest how able they are to turn it round. But there's nothing concrete I admit.

Where's the evidence to say he won't turn it around? There isn't any, it's all about opinions.

Well, a manager's past performance and record could suggest how able they are to turn it round. But there's nothing concrete I admit.

But their last year of managerial experience doesn't count if its bad.

Oh dear, again putting words into my mouth. In his last year at Bolton he finished 7th. That's what's important, not his record in just 2007

Oh dear, again putting words into my mouth. In his last year at Bolton he finished 7th. That's what's important, not his record in just 2007

But what's also important is how he's finished his last season, very badly. A good start to this season has seen us gain some very valuable points, only this time the wheels fell off early, he couldn't turn it round at Bolton in the final few months, and thats a good indication for me how he's going to fair here with 1000% more pressure on his back.

But what's also important is how he's finished his last season, very badly. A good start to this season has seen us gain some very valuable points, only this time the wheels fell off early, he couldn't turn it round at Bolton in the final few months, and thats a good indication for me how he's going to fair here with 1000% more pressure on his back.

I'll say this one last time and then I'm off. You claim it's important how he finished his last season but is it not more important where he finished in his last season? Yes it is, simple as that.

And, he couldn't "turn it around" because Bolton had a small squad and not a great deal of strength in depth, which wasn't his fault considering the small budget he was given.

I'll say this one last time and then I'm off. You claim it's important how he finished his last season but is it not more important where he finished in his last season? Yes it is, simple as that.

And, he couldn't "turn it around" because Bolton had a small squad and not a great deal of strength in depth, which wasn't his fault considering the small budget he was given.

So anything he does good is his doing, anything bad is someone else fault?

Where he finished, well he didn't quite finish as he quit at the last hurdle, is important, and why he's here, i'm not saying its not, but the form of the man himself in 2007 is extremely poor, and the form is over a full year, its not 10 games or so, it just makes you wonder if his style isn't working anymore.

Guest icemanblue

Jesus Christ, get a grip lads.  You're living up to the national stereotype of Newcastle fans. 

Ok, so we get a new manager in, he buys a couple of players, then we're gonna win the league.  Things start going badly, some shite performances, and we're in mid table.  The exact same fucking plebs will be on here saying 'get him out', 'let's get shot and give the 'right' manager time'.

Just look at Sir Alex, fair enough, long time ago and all that.  It's cliched, but he was gash to start off with, but it didn't work out too badly in the end.

What really infuriates me is that it's the same people preaching about stability, who are the first to demand we sack a manager after 20 games.

Jesus Christ, get a grip lads.  You're living up to the national stereotype of Newcastle fans. 

Ok, so we get a new manager in, he buys a couple of players, then we're gonna win the league.  Things start going badly, some shite performances, and we're in mid table.  The exact same fucking plebs will be on here saying 'get him out', 'let's get shot and give the 'right' manager time'.

Just look at Sir Alex, fair enough, long time ago and all that.  It's cliched, but he was gash to start off with, but it didn't work out too badly in the end.

What really infuriates me is that it's the same people preaching about stability, who are the first to demand we sack a manager after 20 games.

Yes, lets stick with a manager who is not good enough, and get right behind him as he makes us the top of the bottom half of the Premier League. Fucking pathetic - him and us, if we sit and lamely accept a manager like Allardyce.

Guest icemanblue

Yes, lets stick with a manager who is not good enough, and get right behind him as he makes us the top of the bottom half of the Premier League. Fucking pathetic - him and us, if we sit and lamely accept a manager like Allardyce.

After. Twenty. Games.

Guest The Libertine

Ok, so we get a new manager in, he buys a couple of players, then we're gonna win the league.  Things start going badly, some s**** performances, and we're in mid table.  The exact same f****** plebs will be on here saying 'get him out', 'let's get shot and give the 'right' manager time'.

Yes, lets stick with a manager who is not good enough, and get right behind him as he makes us the top of the bottom half of the Premier League. f****** pathetic - him and us, if we sit and lamely accept a manager like Allardyce.

After. Twenty. Games.

but he's not good enough!!! he's shite!!! etc etc  :cheesy:

Ok, so we get a new manager in, he buys a couple of players, then we're gonna win the league.  Things start going badly, some s**** performances, and we're in mid table.  The exact same f****** plebs will be on here saying 'get him out', 'let's get shot and give the 'right' manager time'.

Yes, lets stick with a manager who is not good enough, and get right behind him as he makes us the top of the bottom half of the Premier League. f****** pathetic - him and us, if we sit and lamely accept a manager like Allardyce.

After. Twenty. Games.

After twenty easy games, twenty occasions where Allardyce has picked a incredibly unbalanced team with many players being rendered useless because of being played out of position.  He hasn't adapted or learnt from his mistakes despite having twenty chances to do so over the course of 7 months.  Is he mentally retarded?, or just the wrong person for the job?

Guest icemanblue

After. Twenty. Games.

but he's not good enough!!! he's shite!!! etc etc  :cheesy:

I'll settle for mentally retarded, if it means we can't sack him on grounds of discrimination.

Guest Darth Toon

I voted keep him.

I actually thought the 11 he put out last night were about the best available and the performance was pretty decent, as was the effort against Chelsea.

Players still getting to know each other, and a lot of work still to be done, but no point starting all over again now when so much of the solid background work seems to be going well (how many players currently out injured for instance, compared to this time last year?)

Guest LucaAltieri

He needs to stay.

I never wanted him here in the first place. I thought it was the wrong appointment but now he is here we have to give him time.

Half a season gone... predictably after the initial honeymoon period we've had a run of poor form. It was always going to happen.

The result of late can be justified very easily. Derby are fighting for their lives, Wigan are looking good under Bruce (it's their honeymoon period, and that'll be over by February), Chelsea were fortunate, Man City were fortunate, and both of those are good sides.

"It's not just the result its the performances!1!!" Very well. But please remember this is a squad that has been ripped apart and glued back together on a budget... and it needed to be. Nearly everyone on here was screaming for "Sib out! Bramble out! Carr out! Babayaro out! Dyer out! Parker out! Not good enough!" ... well its been done. The squad is looking very bare. We've cut our losses with the deadwood and started to re-build. That's a lengthy process. The new players need time to gel.

More than that, Sam is imposing his methods which are new to everyone, not just the new arrivals. Its a period of adjusting for all involved. Add to that the pressure that inevitably comes from the numpty element of St. James'. The players are clearly feeling the strain as well as the manager... however, form is temporary. There is no reason to assume that we won't start to gain an understanding between the players and finish the season on a run of good form. We need to accept that we are in a period of transition and there are going to be some tough times.

Relegation form. We're not getting relegated. As I said, there's no reason to expect that we won't finish the season on a high... however even if form doesn't improve there are squads worse than ours sitting below us. Even assuming we lose to Man United the worst we can possibly be is 12th in the league.

I have stated before previously that we should consider letting Sam go if we get dragged into a relegation battle... but on reflection, even that shouldn't cost him his job. Firstly, who would you replace him with? Is there anyone out there (who'd come to us) that is more likely to save us from relegation than Sam? Secondly, they're Sam's players. He's happy to work with Alan Smith and Joey Barton. He's picked players for his system and any new manager might not want to/know how to use the squad we have.

Finally, if form doesn't improve, a relegation battle might be a blessing in disguise if it aides he team in terms of playing together and forming a team spirit. Having a tough time of it may ultimately be the best thing for the squad. I don't believe it will come to that, not for a second, but the way I see it there is little or no justification for sacking Sam. Unless Mort gets a phone call from Ranieri/Hiddink/Wenger's agent offering their services then sacking Sam will almost certainly be a bad idea in the long and short-term.

Guest johnson293

He needs to stay.

I never wanted him here in the first place. I thought it was the wrong appointment but now he is here we have to give him time.

Half a season gone... predictably after the initial honeymoon period we've had a run of poor form. It was always going to happen.

The result of late can be justified very easily. Derby are fighting for their lives, Wigan are looking good under Bruce (it's their honeymoon period, and that'll be over by February), Chelsea were fortunate, Man City were fortunate, and both of those are good sides.

"It's not just the result its the performances!1!!" Very well. But please remember this is a squad that has been ripped apart and glued back together on a budget... and it needed to be. Nearly everyone on here was screaming for "Sib out! Bramble out! Carr out! Babayaro out! Dyer out! Parker out! Not good enough!" ... well its been done. The squad is looking very bare. We've cut our losses with the deadwood and started to re-build. That's a lengthy process. The new players need time to gel.

More than that, Sam is imposing his methods which are new to everyone, not just the new arrivals. Its a period of adjusting for all involved. Add to that the pressure that inevitably comes from the numpty element of St. James'. The players are clearly feeling the strain as well as the manager... however, form is temporary. There is no reason to assume that we won't start to gain an understanding between the players and finish the season on a run of good form. We need to accept that we are in a period of transition and there are going to be some tough times.

Relegation form. We're not getting relegated. As I said, there's no reason to expect that we won't finish the season on a high... however even if form doesn't improve there are squads worse than ours sitting below us. Even assuming we lose to Man United the worst we can possibly be is 12th in the league.

I have stated before previously that we should consider letting Sam go if we get dragged into a relegation battle... but on reflection, even that shouldn't cost him his job. Firstly, who would you replace him with? Is there anyone out there (who'd come to us) that is more likely to save us from relegation than Sam? Secondly, they're Sam's players. He's happy to work with Alan Smith and Joey Barton. He's picked players for his system and any new manager might not want to/know how to use the squad we have.

Finally, if form doesn't improve, a relegation battle might be a blessing in disguise if it aides he team in terms of playing together and forming a team spirit. Having a tough time of it may ultimately be the best thing for the squad. I don't believe it will come to that, not for a second, but the way I see it there is little or no justification for sacking Sam. Unless Mort gets a phone call from Ranieri/Hiddink/Wenger's agent offering their services then sacking Sam will almost certainly be a bad idea in the long and short-term.

Nail on head - well said.

Guest Darth Toon

We won't get relegated. Last season Wigan stayed up with 38 points - only 4 wins away from what we have now, with 17 games left.

If the form of the current bottom 3 doesn't improve over the rest of this season then 31 points will be enough for safety - just a couple of wins needed.

Give Allardyce the rest of this season, plus a wedge of cash in the summer and if things haven't improved by this time next year, then you sack him.

Guest Hoop Blah

A big factor in the way Bolton finished was the fact that they all knew Allardyce was leaving.

Fergie, and Sir Bobby IIRC, showed that once the players know/think a manager is on his way out it serioulsy impacts the performances and results.

We won't get relegated. Last season Wigan stayed up with 38 points - only 4 wins away from what we have now, with 17 games left.

If the form of the current bottom 3 doesn't improve over the rest of this season then 31 points will be enough for safety - just a couple of wins needed.

Give Allardyce the rest of this season, plus a wedge of cash in the summer and if things haven't improved by this time next year, then you sack him.

Agree 100% with this post. Good post DT lad!

I wouldn't trust him with any more money.

A big factor in the way Bolton finished was the fact that they all knew Allardyce was leaving.

Fergie, and Sir Bobby IIRC, showed that once the players know/think a manager is on his way out it serioulsy impacts the performances and results.

But they didn't know he was leaving, the time from where he first announced to actually being allowed to leave was less than a week, and it spanned one game, so that really is irrelevant.