Should Sam Allardyce get the Sack? (Main Page Poll)

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Spot On

Sir Alex:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3105861.ece

As Sir Alex Ferguson gave warning yesterday that the managerial position at Newcastle United was in danger of becoming a poisoned chalice - “I’m not sure it’s a job you’d want to take,” he said - the incumbent at St James’ Park called for a renewed sense of patience and unity at the troubled club. “It’s been a very tough Christmas and a very tough week for us,” Sam Allardyce acknowledged.

Having drawn at home to Derby County, lost away to Wigan Athletic, had his credentials questioned by supporters and learnt that Joey Barton, his midfield player, had been remanded in custody, it would be pushing the issue to suggest that Allardyce was in hugely festive spirit on the eve of Newcastle’s visit to Chelsea. His mood, however, remains determined.

The manager’s tactics and signings may be a legitimate source of debate, Alan Shearer’s name may have been sung at the JJB Stadium, Barton’s charge of common assault and affray may be another damaging and embarrassing distraction, but both he and Ferguson made a valid point: how sustainable is the perpetual unrest that clings to the club in such dogged fashion?

“It seems to me that Newcastle, as soon as they lose a game, their manager’s career is threatened,” Ferguson said. “How many managers have they had in my time at [Manchester] United? The thing with Newcastle fans is that they think they should be winning games 5-0 all the time. They have got to say to themselves that time is the thing.

“I would be astounded if they sacked Sam. I’m convinced that of all the managers they’ve had, he’s capable of doing better than most.”

Allardyce is attempting to restructure a quicksand club on firmer foundations, yet time is no longer afforded to managers in the Barclays Premier League. At present, senior figures at Newcastle are insistent that dismissal is neither imminent nor inevitable, but the tolerance of Mike Ashley, the billionaire owner, who regularly sits with fans, is a known unknown.

“Changing things is only brought about by a long, slow process but, of course, that doesn’t wear well in the game of football,” Allardyce said. “But it’s the only way you can really sustain success. Because of this football club and its history, it’s all doom and gloom. It’s never anything other than crisis, but there is no crisis here.

“There’s only the disappointment of a result and performance that wasn’t good enough. But in the last two games we were only a smidgin away from better results and it’s not a crisis. People outside make it a crisis or try and influence things, but what we have to do as a team and as a group of people is to stay strong and be focused on what we know is right and not let those influences affect us.

“I’ve never known anybody set up a successful business in three or four months. It simply can’t happen. In the past, some people - far too many of them - have gone out and tried to buy their way to the top, but that’s not sustainable. It might get you there in the short term, but it can’t bring you long-term success at a football club, because it has to come from a more structured and focused plan. The best two teams this season are Arsenal and Manchester United and they’ve got the two longest-serving managers.”

What Allardyce will not do is change. He believes his success at Bolton Wanderers is now “a burden” because of his reputation for favouring direct football - “we’re not capable of playing that way here,” he countered - but his scientific methods, from diet, psychology, to eking every per cent of effort from his players, cannot be established immediately.

“We’re getting that message across, we’re consistent in our delivery of that information and we’re not going to be distracted from what we know is successful,” he said. “It stays consistent, year in and year out. The players are my challenge, nothing else. It’s them I’m interested in and the club as a whole after that. I have to make them better and make them more consistent.

“I’m working on that 24/7. In between, whether results are good, bad or indifferent, it’s about not changing what you know works and sticking to your guns. And not to show any signs of weaknesses, because that’s easy for the players to pick up on and use as an excuse. That isn’t and won’t be the case. It’s about staying together and trying to do what’s right.”

Im amazed at some peoples blind faith in SA, im all for sticking with a manager but he has to prove he is worth sticking with imo, having a long term plan is important but that doesnt mean you should forget about the present. We have been fucking horrendous this season and that comes down to 1 man.

Just look at the teams above us though, most of them stuck with a manager and they are doing really well now.

Blackburn - Mark hughes had a more mediocre start to his Blackburn campaign for a couple of seasons, now they are European contenders consistently.

Aston Villa - Fair to say MON had an average start last season, not massively improving Villa's previous League table finish.

Everton - Moyes has had to work his socks off for a few seasons now, but also started off with some dodgy end of season table, now European shoe-ins imo.

Pompey - Again Harry had to spend time and money but now Pompey are easily top half and contenders for Europe.

Man Utd - The famous example Sir Alex Ferguson took him 3 seasons to guide his team to success and look at them now.

It just shows that being patient pays off. We all have to be patient though, the fans, chairman and the players. Sam is a good proven manager, he knows the best let him do his thing.

Just look at the teams above us though, most of them stuck with a manager and they are doing really well now.

Blackburn - Mark hughes had a more mediocre start to his Blackburn campaign for a couple of seasons, now they are European contenders consistently.

Aston Villa - Fair to say MON had an average start last season, not massively improving Villa's previous League table finish.

Everton - Moyes has had to work his socks off for a few seasons now, but also started off with some dodgy end of season rankings, now European shoe-ins imo.

Pompey - Again Harry had to spend time and money but now Pompey are easily top half and contenders for Europe.

Man Utd - The famous example Sir Alex Ferguson took him 3 seasons to guide his team to success and look at them now.

It just shows that being patient pays off. We all have to be patient though, the fans, chairman and the players. Sam is a good proven manager, he knows the best let him do his thing.

the fans at all those clubs (with the exception of man utd maybe) will tell you there clubs improved in the first 6 months.

being patient pays off...should we have given souness,roeder,bill mcgarry longer ?

Everton - Moyes has had to work his socks off for a few seasons now, but also started off with some dodgy end of season rankings, now European shoe-ins imo.

the fans at all those clubs (with the exception of man utd maybe) will tell you there clubs improved in the first 6 months.

being patient pays off...should we have given souness,roeder,bill mcgarry longer ?

Exactly all those clubs could see improvement, so far we have been terrible with no sign of improvement. FFS our fans aint moaning for the sake of it or because their standards are sky high its because the football has been dog shit and tbh our league standing doesnt reflect how bad we have played, we have had a bit of luck

Exactly all those clubs could see improvement, so far we have been terrible with no sign of improvement. FFS our fans aint moaning for the sake of it or because their standards are sky high its because the football has been dog s*** and tbh our league standing doesnt reflect how bad we have played, we have had a bit of luck

I think its fair to say we've seen slight improvement in the least, i believe that we had our best start in the PL ever this year? and this is a sign of no improvement at all? We do have better players and a better squad, we've got more away points this season so far than last season. We're not in a total injury crisis like last year and we are comfortably away from the relegation zone and pretty damn close to Europe still.

Aye we're fucked aren't we, i'd hate to be a fan of any of the teams below us.

Exactly all those clubs could see improvement, so far we have been terrible with no sign of improvement. FFS our fans aint moaning for the sake of it or because their standards are sky high its because the football has been dog s*** and tbh our league standing doesnt reflect how bad we have played, we have had a bit of luck

I think its fair to say we've seen slight improvement in the least, i believe that we had our best start in the PL ever this year? and this is a sign of no improvement at all? We do have better players and a better squad, we've got more away points this season so far than last season. We're not in a total injury crisis like last year and we are comfortably away from the relegation zone and pretty damn close to Europe still.

Aye we're f***** aren't we, i'd hate to be a fan of any of the teams below us.

we had a dream start in terms of "look at that opening group of games" have you seen our remaning away fixtures?

Everton - Moyes has had to work his socks off for a few seasons now, but also started off with some dodgy end of season table, now European shoe-ins imo.

Blackburn were within days of sacking Souness before we took him away from Ewood and paid them for that so don't use them as a reason to hold onto Allardyce.

How long has O'Neill been at Villa?  :lol:

I'll give you Everton.

Pompy have had Redknapp since 2005.

" But in the last two games we were only a smidgin away from better results "

If you want support Sam, please dont come out with bullshit statements like that. Just be honest with us and admit your not getting it right at the minute. Dont treat us like we cant see the performances that are being churned out

Blackburn were within days of sacking Souness before we took him away from Ewood and paid them for that so don't use them as a reason to hold onto Allardyce.

How long has O'Neill been at Villa?  :lol:

I'll give you Everton.

Pompy have had Redknapp since 2005.

They have all had more than one season in charge now, yes?

(Sam has arguably a much bigger task than the above managers bar ferguson).

Which proves it does take at least one season to steady the ship, Sam as i'm sure you have noticed has only been in the job for 6 months and we are only 4 months into the season. You have to give a manager 2 seasons at least unless you are in serious crap (relegation fodder which we aren't) then judge him.

You must have known that Sam would have to fix the whole foundations first? do you think it was going to take him a couple of weeks to sort it all out?

we had a dream start in terms of "look at that opening group of games" have you seen our remaning away fixtures?

Bullshit, i bet we wouldn't have won as many under Roeder and tbh we've had easier starts to the league than this one.

Yes its going to be a difficult second half to the season, but i'm convinced we will finish top half, which i'd be happy with.

They have all had more than one season in charge now, yes?

Sam has arguably a much bigger task than the above managers bar ferguson.

Which proves it does take at least one season to steady the ship, Sam as i'm sure you have noticed has only been in the job for 6 months and we are only 4 months into the season. You have to give a manager 2 seasons at least unless you are in serious crap (relegation fodder which we aren't) then judge him.

You must have known that Sam would have to fix the whole foundations first? do you think it was going to take him a couple of weeks to sort it all out?

Wow, they've all been in jobs more than a year.  Who was the last Newcastle manager who lasted less than a year?

We are in serious crap, I think we're in as much crap as we've been during the last 3 years, that could change as the season goes on but we're still in the crap because we've had our easy start to the season, the harder games are coming thick and fast now.

Allardyce having to fix the foundations has nothing to do with his ultra-weird and repeated team selections and tactics.

Bullshit, i bet we wouldn't have won as many under Roeder and tbh we've had easier starts to the league than this one.

Yes its going to be a difficult second half to the season, but i'm convinced we will finish top half, which i'd be happy with.

i don't think we'll finish top half,infact 45 points is looking a long way off

Someone like Lippi mackems.gif

well thats the only manger available good enough

Only one good enough mackems.gif how many managers in the planet available or not are even better than Lippi ffs. Stop aiming so high, he and anyone as good as him would never come here atm.