Should Sam Allardyce get the Sack? (Main Page Poll)

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The worrying thing is, everyone keeps mentioning keeping him until the end of the season in the hope that we show signs of improvement, when if everyone is brutally honest with themselves, the football we've played for the most of this season has been far worse than under Roeder, but no-one was willing to give him any time.

I personally don't think we should sack him, purely because (apart from Shearer) there are no replacements. But he hasn't impressed me even slightly, and I can't see it improving any time soon.

People have really, really short memories concerning how horrible we were under Roeder. Compare yesterday to the corresponding fixture last year (0-1 to Man City) does anyone honestly believe that we played worse than we did then?

I'm not talking about last night. Yeah for the first 30 mins we played some good stuff, but the rest of the match was on par with a Roeder performance.

The Derby games were on par, if not worse, than anything Roeder served up, as were the Sunderland, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Wigan away, Reading away, Fulham away (even though we won).

FFS we've only had 10 shots on target in the games against Fulham, Wigan, Reading, Liverpool and Sunderland put together.

There seems to be a lot of blind faith going around that he will turn it around given time, but have you honestly seen anything to suggest he can?

I'm not saying Roeder was a better manager, but at least you could see what he was trying to do (e.g. playing people in correct positions (majority of time), setting up 442 most matches, not just hoofing it long at every given opportunity, actually trying to attack teams, all with a ridiculous injury list).

Another thing that really pisses me off is that pundits and armchair fans keep saying he's "dealing with a lot of injuries" and he "hasn't been able to put out a regular team". That is a load of bollocks. He's had plenty of opportunites to put out a settled team but he keeps chopping and changing because he has a new scapegoat every week. He's hardly had any injuries in comparison to previous seasons but the excuse still rolls out.

You've changed your tune, it wasn't long ago you were on here defending Allardyce when people were pointing our problems out.

I know. But wasn't that after the Reading defeat where people were going really overboard. We'd only lost a couple of games that we shouldn't have and people were already calling for his head, so I was levelling up the argument.

I'm normally one of the more level headed and rational people on here and I'm normally all for giving people time... but in my opinion, he has now had enough time to at least show us that there have been improvements.

But as things stand, there have been NO improvements (apart from the depth of the first team squad).

The sad thing is, he's working with a better squad than Roeder aswell.

And I now go to St James's on a match day expecting us to get turned over or maybe snatch something if we're lucky.

thats why i always go on about performances.you can win games playing shit but it wont last. if we were in the top 4 after these performances i'd still be yelling that it isn't good enough (though probably not calling for his head..........yet!). if you get beat but play well consistently things will turn round...if you play shit and win consistently you'll get found out

Guest Knightrider

Still no.

Think it's gonna happen at some stage between now and May though, sadly.

Ah well, I'm sure Shearer will have us in the top 4 soon enough...

Still no.

How do you Shearer even wants the job? Im sure he was on tv yesterday saying he aint interested and he is very happy as a pundit.

How would you rate SA reign so far?

Guest Knightrider

Still no.

How do you Shearer even wants the job? Im sure he was on tv yesterday saying he aint interested and he is very happy as a pundit.

I'm being sarcastic with the Shearer comments given all the speculation.

How would I rate Big Sam's reign so far? Disappointing in the main although I expected things to be tough and for us to be in mid-table. Not a disaster or a crisis as some think it is, put it that way.

Still no.

How would I rate Big Sam's reign so far? Disappointing in the main although I expected things to be tough and for us to be in mid-table. Not a disaster or a crisis as some think it is, put it that way.

Disappointing is an under statement, Everything that is associated with a SA team we havent yet witnessed. There is only 2 possitives to come from SA so far and thats Beye and Faye.

I would say we are in a crisis, the performances alone states that there is a problem. Im all for givng a manager time but the manager has to show he is improving the team and going in the right direction. I think its silly to put your head in the sand and hope he succeeds because he did a decent job at another club. SA said himself that his kinda bussiness is all about results.

Personally i dont think we should sack him at this point of the season but if we continue to be dog shit for the rest of the season then he should be let go in the Summer or if we are in danger of relegation then he should be sacked.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Still no.

Disappointing is an under statement, Everything that is associated with a SA team we havent yet witnessed. There is only 2 possitives to come from SA so far and thats Beye and Faye.

I would say we are in a crisis, the performances alone states that there is a problem. Im all for givng a manager time but the manager has to show he is improving the team and going in the right direction. I think its silly to put your head in the sand and hope he succeeds because he did a decent job at another club. SA said himself that his kinda bussiness is all about results.

Personally i dont think we should sack him at this point of the season but if we continue to be dog s*** for the rest of the season then he should be let go in the Summer or if we are in danger of relegation then he should be sacked.

Yes Beye and Faye have been class, but i would also back some of his other signings

Viduka on a free was a must, even though his wages are high. Most people on this board would have hung SA out to dry if he didnt go for him

Barton without the clause would have cost more than 10 million. A lot of people rated him the 2nd best driving midfielder in the country behind Gerrard. Yes he has baggage, but so did Diouf and Anelka and Sam got the best out of them.

Cacapa has been probably one of the best frees of the season. Yes he has only been ok, but for free what else do you expect

Enrique looks good and he is only 21

Smith i think was an Ashley buy, and as a squad player is invaluable

Beye and Faye have been very good but the rest havnt been that bad

I'm prepared to back Allardyce simply because he did do such a good job with Bolton.  Turning a small club with limited resources into a Premiership force is no accidental achievement and there are very few managers who could do it (hell, some of our managers achieved less with stratospheric budgets).  The consistent and long running improvement of Bolton was no fluke, so the guy must have something about him.  On that basis alone he gets more patience from me than the previous two incumbents.

That said, expectation levels are a lot different here.  Lose a few games on the bounce at Bolton and it's not such a big deal.  Lose a few on the trot at Newcastle and there's mass hysteria.

I know Sam's taken a lot of flak for his tactics but - dare I say it - some of the positional and tactical stuff seems to be making sense to me now.

I think Faye, Geremi and Smith were all bought with an eye very much on versatility.  In the past, we've suffered badly from simply not being able to switch tactics during matches (just swapping a striker for another striker, etc).  In theory, we could now shuffle quite a few folks around for tactical changes.  It's not actually worked very well in practise, but I can appreciate what Allardyce is doing.  Perhaps these things just take some time to drum into our IQ-challenged superstars...

Positionally, the Zog in particular, does look quite suited to a left-back position.  He certainly seems to have more effective games at left-back than he does as an out-and-out left winger.  I think someone mentioned he gets more time on the ball/is less tightly marked when coming from a deep position.  That extra space seems to give him an opportunity to start running at players.  So, despite my initial lemming-like tendency to complain about the Zog's position with the rest of the moaners, I'm much more comfortable with Allardyce's use of him now.

Similarly, Milner (to me) does look better on the left wing rather than in his 'natural' right position.  When he's played wide right, he seems fairly plodding and predictable because he almost always favours his right foot from there.  On the left, he does mix it up much more and crosses with his left/cuts inside on his right.

Anyone else think along these lines or have I deluded myself into thinking Sam's some sort of tactical genius when he's actually just an incredibly lucky, one-trick pony, long-ball merchant?

Still no.

Personally i dont think we should sack him at this point of the season but if we continue to be dog s*** for the rest of the season then he should be let go in the Summer or if we are in danger of relegation then he should be sacked.

Yes Beye and Faye have been class, but i would also back some of his other signings

Viduka on a free was a must, even though his wages are high. Most people on this board would have hung SA out to dry if he didnt go for him

Barton without the clause would have cost more than 10 million. A lot of people rated him the 2nd best driving midfielder in the country behind Gerrard. Yes he has baggage, but so did Diouf and Anelka and Sam got the best out of them.

Cacapa has been probably one of the best frees of the season. Yes he has only been ok, but for free what else do you expect

I disagree with pretty much all of that except for the Faye and Beye part.

Guest Knightrider

I don't think Big Sam's buys have been that bad either. Beye and Feye have been very decent while Viduka, Geremi, Cacapa and Rozzy will prove good value for money players over the course of their stay here on Tyneside especially considering the 4 of them cost under £5m.

Indeed those players have done OK this season all things considered. Viduka when fit has scored goals. Cacapa has had one poor game, the rest have been decent enough. Geremi isn't a bad player and while he's had some poor games, I'm confident he'll prove good value for money, and Rozzy? He's had his good games and his poor games. Not bad for a new to this league defender all in all though.

Further on Enrique hasn't played much but it's far too early to write him off (he's looked capable in spells) and the same applies to Barton who could still well have a big future here. Barton as an individual probably reflects a £5-6m player to be honest as does Smith who lets not forget joined us from Man Utd where he proved a decent squad player for them, which I think he'll do for us too over the years.

Like the manager, it's far too early to be writing off these players or judging them.

Guest Brewcastle

The worrying thing is, everyone keeps mentioning keeping him until the end of the season in the hope that we show signs of improvement, when if everyone is brutally honest with themselves, the football we've played for the most of this season has been far worse than under Roeder, but no-one was willing to give him any time.

I personally don't think we should sack him, purely because (apart from Shearer) there are no replacements. But he hasn't impressed me even slightly, and I can't see it improving any time soon.

People have really, really short memories concerning how horrible we were under Roeder. Compare yesterday to the corresponding fixture last year (0-1 to Man City) does anyone honestly believe that we played worse than we did then?

Totally agree. Not happy with the way we are playing by any means but the re-write of history re: Roeder is ridiculous.

Can't compare the squad (injuries) Roeder had, with what Sam have in his command.....

Roeder told about what was his plan. Brought in Martins to build up an attacking team around him. I haven't heard a word from Sam what plans he have. OK, he once told he would go to a match against a relegation-candidat to get a draw. A brilliant plan!

I have more faith in Roeder than Allardyce. I'm afraid money is the main motivation for Allardyce. My impression from Roeder is that he have a true heart for the club, and his link to the Achademy made the club more complete in my eyes. Is it somebody that should have been given more time, it should be Roeder.

By the way..... An interesting thought:

Would Sam been able to turn around Norwich as Roeder have done in a couple of months?

I voted no.

Performances have been very poor but in contrast to Roeder/Souness i've never doubted Allardyces ability as a manager. I have doubted whether he is capable of a massive job such as Newcastle.

Since he took over, i think it has weighed up as an average performance from his point of view. When he came in i wanted better players, a better back room structure and better fitness records all of which he has done. However i also wanted better peformances and although we have had our spells we have been poor and inconsistant in most games.

People always say its a results buisness, which is true of any buisness but considering the huge task he had when he took over it's not suprising to me that things haven't gone very well on the pitch. The place was in a mess and much in need of stability.

In my opinion sacking him now would be defeating he object. I'm not saying that he's a great manager or infact that i believe he will succeed but he should have until the end of the season to show us more.

For the record i think Shearer WILL be a good manager for us.

Guest Knightrider

More people want him to stay now, after our defeats.  :idiot2:

There is zero logic in sacking him now where as there is plenty to support sticking with him until the end of the season at least and for those of us who still have faith in him, even longer than that. Unless we drop into the relegation zone, we have to stick with him. Me, I'm hoping he gets beyond this season. Having said that if we could replace him with an exceptional manager who would guarantee success, I'd be tempted to get rid like...

There is zero logic in sacking him now where as there is plenty to support sticking with him until the end of the season at least and for those of us who still have faith in him, even longer than that. Unless we drop into the relegation zone, we have to stick with him. Me, I'm hoping he gets beyond this season. Having said that if we could replace him with an exceptional manager who would guarantee success, I'd be tempted to get rid like...

I'm sure he will be here until the end of the season, I just think it's strange that he's become more popular as our results have got worse.

Guest Knightrider

I'm sure he will be here until the end of the season, I just think it's strange that he's become more popular as our results have got worse.

Maybe people feel sorry for him, maybe people are looking beyond the manager more and maybe people just want to be supportive for a change. It is odd though, I agree.

Still no.

What an unmitigated pile of crap.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Still no.

We will have to agree to disagree then!

Based on the funds and the timing he had availible i thought he spent very well, and i can imagine 75% of this board would agree

I can imagine you were one of the ones hoping the Faye deal wouldnt go through  :blush:

Guest fraser

Still no.

Based on the funds and the timing he had availible i thought he spent very well, and i can imagine 75% of this board would agree

I can imagine you were one of the ones hoping the Faye deal wouldnt go through   :blush:

Faye has been outstanding the past two games; the only player to come near getting to grips with the extremely brilliant Essien that I've seen Perplexed he was subbed last night.

Beye is top quality.

Rozehnal I'll reserve judgement on.

Smith is erm.....

Cacapa may yet do it.

Viduka is variable.

Barton is imprisonable.

Have I forgotten anybody?

Viduka is not worth his wages, dread to think how much we paid him to actually sign on.

Barton is a £6m write off.

Cacapa is a much a liability as any defender we've had over the last 5 years.

Rozenhal is average at best, not good enough for us.

Geremi was free for a reason.

Smith would of been good for free, but for £6m i feel like crying.

Enrique never gets used and so is another £6m waste of money, this one has a touch of the Luque's about it.

Faye - Good player, worth the money shame about the injuries.

Beye -  His best signing, settling in nicely.

To think Beye & Feye nearly didn't go through, it was only at the last minute.

Still no.

I can imagine you were one of the ones hoping the Faye deal wouldnt go through   :blush:

Imagine what you like. If you think flinging £25m and getting two decent enough players is good, fair play to you.

He's brought in 9 players - 2 decent, the rest very much not, so far.

And no-one, apart from the cretins on here who think that anyone who signs for us is automatically class, thought that Barton was the 2nd best midfielder in the country.

Oh, and Smith, "invaluable"..... fucking hell, thats Comedy Gold, that!!! :lol: Way to have a big fat set of blacjk & white blinkers, mate. You held back from saying that Geremi was ace, which would have been your crowing glory.

Jebus.

I want him sacked badly!

For the reason that he's a one dimensional defensive coach, not able to alter his philosophy regardless of the players at his disposal or the strength of the opposition.

Sven has shown what a difference a good coach can make, and his tactics against Liverpool and against us last night were spot on.

When I heard in the build up to last nights game that Sam was "pitting his wits against Sven" I knew we where in trouble.

As for now being a bad time to sack him, I disagree now is a great time to sack him. The squad will get a boost as all squads do when a new manager comes in, the new man will have a little time to bring in one or two new faces and we'll finally have a manager we can all get behind, Shearer!!!

Guest fraser

Viduka is not worth his wages, dread to think how much we paid him to actually sign on.

Barton is a £6m write off.

Cacapa is a much a liability as any defender we've had over the last 5 years.

Rozenhal is average at best, not good enough for us.

Geremi was free for a reason.

Smith would of been good for free, but for £6m i feel like crying.

Enrique never gets used and so is another £6m waste of money, this one has a touch of the Luque's about it.

Faye - Good player, worth the money shame about the injuries.

Beye -  His best signing, settling in nicely.

To think Beye & Feye nearly didn't go through, it was only at the last minute.

Hmm, I thought that Geremi was promising to begin with so all the more disappointing.

Enrique, one for the future surely...?!