Football : The Undiscovered country.

Parky

Let us put away the hoofing and the lugging and the water carriers, let us reclaim our souls cheaply given, let us set forth on our true path our true destiny...Football first and foresmost is the cry from the faithful and now the cry has taken shape and no longer are voices alone but together as one.

Let us end this long night of scurrying frenetically to strange tactics and exotic formulas borne of cold dead statistics..Let us renew our faith with the one god...Beautiful football, the beautiful game.

Dreams win prizes.

Enough is enough.

Was it Cloughie who said 'It's not rocket science is it..'

I said a couple of months ago  Sam had his head so far into statistics now that he had forgotten the simple things. Need a Back to Basics campaign here, get the dossiers out.

There's two ways of approaching things

1.) You go out and play your football and trust that it will be better than the opposition. Simpler on the players, but harder to do effectively.

2.) You try and out think your opponents with tactics that can nullify their play. The tactics need to be complex enough to confuse your opponents, yet simple enough for your own players to understand what they're supposed to be doing.

Sam is the latter, and I don't think our players have a clue what they're supposed to be doing.

I'd much prefer a manager who had the first philosophy though, long term.

1.) You go out and play your football and trust that it will be better than the opposition. Simpler on the players, but harder to do effectively.

2.) You try and out think your opponents with tactics that can nullify their play. The tactics need to be complex enough to confuse your opponents, yet simple enough for your own players to understand what they're supposed to be doing.

Sam is the latter, and I don't think our players have a clue what they're supposed to be doing.

Beautifully laid out Shakky baby. :thup:

Cheers mate. And don't worry about what Dave said, I'm sure there's someone out there somewhere that's poncier than you. :razz:

Cheers mate. And don't worry about what Dave said, I'm sure there's someone out there somewhere that's poncier than you. :razz:

Don't worry I take it as a compliment.  :laugh:

Guest Knightrider

It's always been a myth. There is only one thing truly beautiful about football and that's that winning feeling. Everything else is plain ugly.

It's always been a myth. There is only one thing truly beautiful about football and that's that winning feeling. Everything else is plain ugly.

I really hope you don't believe that. You may aswell follow Teletext than watch the football itself! ;)

Has Wigan depressed you this much, Coach? :) How can you watch a team like Arsenal play and say that? Or fail to appreciate a sublime example of individual skill or courage?

Guest Knightrider

I'm talking about the game in general. Sorry it just pisses me off when people refer to the beautiful game because it's a complete fabrication.

I'm talking about the game in general. Sorry it just pisses me off when people refer to the beautiful game because it's a complete fabrication.

Sometimes it's majestic; an art-form, beautiful.

Other times it's dirty, dull, slow, heart-breaking, painful.

Guest Knightrider

The former is rare, the latter the norm, especially if you're an Englishman who follows NUFC too.

I get all my joy from watching the bairn play these days and even then that game is ugly too, or rather that level. More so than the adult game.

The former is rare, the latter the norm, especially if you're an Englishman who follows NUFC too.

I get all my joy from watching the bairn play these days and even then that game is ugly too, or rather that level. More so than the adult game.

I quite enjoy kids' games. At least they care about the result and about the sport. A few weeks ago I was half-watching a lads' 5-a-side match whlie warming up and one little kid was in tears because he'd gifted the ball to an opponent who stuck it away for a goal.

Guest Knightrider

I quite enjoy kids' games. At least they care about the result and about the sport. A few weeks ago I was half-watching a lads' 5-a-side match whlie warming up and one little kid was in tears because he'd gifted the ball to an opponent who stuck it away for a goal.

I do too, then the adults get involved with their touchline coaching, screaming and shouting and making kids stand and wait their turn on the subs bench, if they're lucky.

Guest Knightrider

Makes you appreciate the good games even more though doesn't it?

It used to, now even the good games have a false feeling about them. I must confess, I hate football today. I don't enjoy it, I don't like it, I even contemplate sacking it. I rarely watch matches these days, MOTD doesn't even interest me. I could put it on and start watching it and then change channels soon after. I think the sanitization of the sport has turned me off it, that and all the crap that surrounds it. I'm sure NUFC's fortunes aren't helping either, but in general football is shite.

'Kids games' and 'caring about the result' as Keefas said.

Now therein those two phrases is the root cause of what is wrong with football in our country.

Kids should not have to care about the result.

If I had my way I would ban coaches, ban parents and put floodlit all weather fenced in vandal proof pitches on every housing estate with free balls supplied and just let them get on with it.

Jumpers for goalposts for the 3rd millenium if you like.

The money is in the game to do this,

Redistribute some of it away from the pockets of the elite few (and agents) at the top and back into grass roots.

Give it 10 years and you,d have more footballers for your winning teams to satisfy the coaches (for it is they who want the medals not the young kids).

Only then they can teach them to play their two touch football and the shift the ball quickly stuff after they have been left alone to develop the ball skills through the joy of playing for fun with their pals.

Sick to death of the greedy and misguided idiots ruining our game.

Doug.

Guest Knightrider

'Kids games' and 'caring about the result' as Keefas said.

Now therein those two phrases is the root cause of what is wrong with football in our country.

Kids should not have to care about the result.

If I had my way I would ban coaches, ban parents and put floodlit all weather fenced in vandal proof pitches on every housing estate with free balls supplied and just let them get on with it.

Jumpers for goalposts for the 3rd millenium if you like.

The money is in the game to do this,

Redistribute some of it away from the pockets of the elite few (and agents) at the top and back into grass roots.

Give it 10 years and you,d have more footballers for your winning teams to satisfy the coaches (for it is they who want the medals not the young kids).

Only then they can teach them to play their two touch football and the shift the ball quickly stuff after they have been left alone to develop the ball skills through the joy of playing for fun with their pals.

Sick to death of the greedy and misguided idiots ruining our game.

Doug.

I like your ideas very much, couldn't agree more.