David James Article

Thespence

Of course, James is only advocating due diligence and balanced consideration in view of using such technologies, not condemning them. 

His point about the Dane is true of any system that rewards metrics without 100% observation -- someone can always game it to their benefit.

I've heard that one top club pick their players on the basis of fitness data taken in training. They've spent millions in the transfer market, yet a heart monitor is going to tell them who makes the team sheet? Funnily enough, their league position isn't exactly stunning

How is everyone reacting so much to this? :lol:

Because it fits in with peoples' agendas or lack of understanding about these things.

shhhhhh, dont say THAT word, the nasty old men can hear it at a thousand yards, their ears will prick up and they'll be in here like a shot

Robbo and Huddlestone are certainly looking more 'streamlined' these days.... is that just since Ramos came in?

Plain and simply YES. Both were fat porkers before which was tolerated by the old regime even though there performances were also s**** but the new fitness coach Ramos brought in is doing wonders. James is clearly directing that comment at us which dosnt really make much sense as theres definatly been an improvement since Ramos took over.

I think that's why people are guessing it's directed at us; Sam is very high profile in his use of ProZone/Heart monitors etc., and there hasn't been a noticable improvement yet. Can't believe anyone would get particularly wound up over what he's 'heard' though :lol:

ah but there is an improvement. lets see- who do we have injured at the moment? ramage and carr iirc? comparing that to 13 at one point last season. also, we are getting late goals and looking more likely to score than concede in the last minute, with the exception of offside bastards at stamford bridge.

we are getting late goals and looking more likely to score than concede in the last minute, with the exception of offside bastards at stamford bridge.

One late goal was a pen, the other a corner & Vidukas was off a long punt from the goalie. They are hardly goals scored because we are fitter.

Yeah your right we do not concede in the last minute we just need to work on the other 89 minutes now.

Heart rate monitor readings are standard equipment for athletes. If your resting pulse when you wake up is a few beats off normal, it's a good indicator that something's up (onset of illness, overtraining), so there's definitely an argument for resting a player to prevent illness or injury. It's dumb if his replacement is proper gash, though.

we are getting late goals and looking more likely to score than concede in the last minute, with the exception of offside bastards at stamford bridge.

One late goal was a pen, the other a corner & Vidukas was off a long punt from the goalie. They are hardly goals scored because we are fitter.

Yeah your right we do not concede in the last minute we just need to work on the other 89 minutes now.

credit where credit's due mate, if your teams fitter you get late goals, its not just the 2 seconds where you score that matters, we have to force the other team into mistakes/win the ball first, we might not have won the pen at fulham if the lads were more tired, also there's owens late winner at home to add to the list

credit where credit's due mate, if your teams fitter you get late goals, its not just the 2 seconds where you score that matters, we have to force the other team into mistakes/win the ball first, we might not have won the pen at fulham if the lads were more tired, also there's owens late winner at home to add to the list

If I could be arsed I am sure I can find times pre-sam that we have won pens or scored goals late on. The fitness that Sam is improving means our boys are still going flat out in April & May, not doing well late on in game in December.

If I could be arsed I am sure I can find times pre-sam that we have won pens or scored goals late on. The fitness that Sam is improving means our boys are still going flat out in April & May, not doing well late on in game in December.

so could i, tottenham away for example, i just think we look stronger later in games than we used to, in general

David James also began a good article on the importance of mental fitness, being able to concentrate and maintain focus on the job at hand.

Unfortunately, he spotted something out the corner of his eye, got distracted and forgot to finish writing it.

David James also began a good article on the importance of mental fitness, being able to concentrate and maintain focus on the job at hand.

Unfortunately, he spotted something out the corner of his eye, got distracted and forgot to finish writing it.

Wasn't he the one who got fucked up by playing too much playstation when at Liverpool?

Robbo and Huddlestone are certainly looking more 'streamlined' these days.... is that just since Ramos came in?

Plain and simply YES. Both were fat porkers before which was tolerated by the old regime even though there performances were also s**** but the new fitness coach Ramos brought in is doing wonders. James is clearly directing that comment at us which dosnt really make much sense as theres definatly been an improvement since Ramos took over.

I think that's why people are guessing it's directed at us; Sam is very high profile in his use of ProZone/Heart monitors etc., and there hasn't been a noticable improvement yet. Can't believe anyone would get particularly wound up over what he's 'heard' though :lol:

ah but there is an improvement. lets see- who do we have injured at the moment? ramage and carr iirc? comparing that to 13 at one point last season. also, we are getting late goals and looking more likely to score than concede in the last minute, with the exception of offside bastards at stamford bridge.

Personally, I think our lack of injuries this season compared to the last couple is more down to us playing loads less games. We must have played a dozen more games by Christmas last year and the year before with the Intertoto and all that.

If, (god forbid) we get knocked out of the cup next week, then I reckon this season we will play less games than any season in the last hundred years or so.

I wonder if we'll still hear the same excuses about the players being tired.

so could i, tottenham away for example, i just think we look stronger later in games than we used to, in general

Cant say I have noticed. Cant think of any of last seasons squad that look dramatically improved.

Cant say I have noticed. Cant think of any of last seasons squad that look dramatically improved.

hmm, fair point, maybe he's brought generally fitter players in then? personally though i've always been used to us crumbling late on whereas this season i feel ever so slightly more confident we can play till the end. still says nowt for the first 80 minutes though

Guest SellSholaFor1M

I've heard that one top club pick their players on the basis of fitness data taken in training. They've spent millions in the transfer market, yet a heart monitor is going to tell them who makes the team sheet? Funnily enough, their league position isn't exactly stunning

How is everyone reacting so much to this? :lol:

Of course you can't read too much into it. As you know I detest Fat Sam, but it would surprise and shock me if an opposing player knew this type of information.

That said, we all know Fat Sam is a big fan of his stats, and uses them to try and justify his football (look on the official site for the piece with stats post Birmingham). And like James says, they can be totally misleading.

Who knows if Fat Sam picks his teams based on fitness levels or passing percentages of players. We don't. But what we do know is he loves his stats, too much if you ask me.

Wasn't he the one who got f***** up by playing too much playstation when at Liverpool?

One and the same.

Saying that, Phil Neville scored against me, and oh my gosh, it was the worst day of my life. At least he got one past Shay Given as well.