Martins

Guest K9

He wasn't firing last night, but he was still important to our attack.

He'll get the ball and run at people - he might not take that many players on, that's not what he's particularly good at, but what he does is push the defense back. How many times did we have their defense crowding their penalty area in the second half? Once? Maybe twice, when Milner crawled his way through a couple of times.

It was the likes of Martins, Duff and Faye who - when penetrating forward, caused their defense to push deep and that was at the point where we looked like scoring.

Martins atleast gives the wingers and the on-rushing centre-mids a catalyst to push forward and get bodies in the final third. Second half it was all about pumping balls to Viduka's head, which simply doesn't work, as he requires it to feet.

He has no awareness, vision or anticipation.

Those are my biggest problems with him.

He does have vision if play is ahead of him, played a lovely ball down the channel for Zoggy yesterday, its just when he is closer to goal with players alongside him that he does not get his head up, but to some existent strikers have to be selfish and he does just want to score goals.

I think he may be better if given a free role, where he can pop up allover the pitch.

I agree.

When he has the ball in the box and has come unstuck and has to back track he just cannot see players running in where he just has to lay it off for them to shoot.

This happened on numerous occasions last night.

He's off form and lacking confidence but he isn't that good even when on form imo. He gives us something the rest of the forwards don't though - pace upfront.

He's off form and lacking confidence but he isn't that good even when on form imo. He gives us something the rest of the forwards don't though - pace upfront.

Yeh but he doesn't use it

I agree, he generally doesn't, but he makes a difference to the way the opposition defence plays - i.e. they can't play with too high a line so he stretches play.

Guest Micktoon

I find it astonishing the patience shown for Martins. He scores the occasional screamer or pen, other than that I think he has been atrocious this season. His first touch for a striker is appaling and  he insists upon taking a touch befors shooting, this is a tad of a problem.

Where is this 'pace' that people keep talking about?

Butt put him through in the first half at Chelsea, he had a metre on the defender and was caught with ease.

It appears if has two options he'll choose the wrong (the selfish approach) one.

I find it astonishing the patience shown for Martins. He scores the occasional screamer or pen, other than that I think he has been atrocious this season. His first touch for a striker is appaling and  he insists upon taking a touch befors shooting, this is a tad of a problem.

He isn't good enough, I agree. I'm not sure why some people seem to stick up for him so much. I think they got carried away with his goals tally last season which was, imo, a bit misleading anyway (6 in Europe). All of our other strikers need pace alongside them though (even Owen) I think so we need a replacement with pace if/when he goes.

Where is this 'pace' that people keep talking about?

Butt put him through in the first half at Chelsea, he had a metre on the defender and was caught with ease.

It appears if has two options he'll choose the wrong (the selfish approach) one.

That was his touch as much as anything - i.e. it took the ball towards the defender. He has at least one touch more than last season before shooting every time he has the ball which is down to a lack of confidence for me. I agree his pace isn't as great as it is made out to be though.

I wish Sam would employ some sort of mad scientist as part of his backroom staff.  Owen's brain in Martins' body would make an awesome striker.  And while he's at it, he could transplant Smith's work rate into Viduka.

With regards to Martins substitution yesterday, it was probably forced on us due to the urgent need to get Owen match fit with the ANC looming.

And down to Martins playing gash.

I wish Sam would employ some sort of mad scientist as part of his backroom staff.  Owen's brain in Martins' body would make an awesome striker. 

I said the same thing to my mate at the match last night !!!

Guest tuppence

We have to sell martins, cash in on him now while he still has some value left.

s**** player

s*** first touch

Doesn't no how to use his pace

Can't shoot

Can't beat a man

Passing is s***

No awareness

Face up to it this is true. He has so many things wrong with how he plays his football. This guy just about summed him up. Sure he has pace, but can he use it? Instead, despite his hideous lack of technique he tries to play in the gap between the opposition defence and midfield. Surely he's intelligent he has most chance of being effective when playing on the shoulder of the defender - but he probably can't because he has no anticipation and makes shocking runs. Sure he scores a few by booting the ball as hard as he can but lets face it - he's a very poor footballer.

fuck you all, he had a bad game.. but still did more than Owen and Viduka last night..

if we have to get rid of any of our strikers, we should surely start from the permanently crocked super-earner and the fat sluggish aussie

fuck you all, he had a bad game.. but still did more than Owen and Viduka last night..

if we have to get rid of any of our strikers, we should surely start from the permanently crocked super-earner and the fat sluggish aussie

Did he?  ???

Martins has gone backwards since he joined us. When he gets the ball in a decent position, he is always stopping it, instead of going forward. It seems like he lack confidence, and has become aware of his first touch. Big Sam really need to adress the problem with Martins, and like Skrige said I think he needs a free role up front. He alse need to shoot more, he seems afraid to shoot these days...

f*** you all, he had a bad first half of the season.. but still did more than Owen and Viduka last night..

he's so inconsistent, as is viduka, i'd replace them both next summer if possible

Martins has gone backwards since he joined us. When he gets the ball in a decent position, he is always stopping it, instead of going forward. It seems like he lack confidence, and has become aware of his first touch. Big Sam really need to adress the problem with Martins, and like Skrige said I think he needs a free role up front. He alse need to shoot more, he seems afraid to shoot these days...

What do you mean by a free role? To me he needs to be told exactly what to do, and if it was down to me I'd have him playing on the shoulder of the last defender. I wouldn't tell him to play where he wants. Although he looks like that's what he is doing at times.

What do you mean by a free role? To me he needs to be told exactly what to do, and if it was down to me I'd have him playing on the shoulder of the last defender. I wouldn't tell him to play where he wants. Although he looks like that's what he is doing at times.

Football Manager phrase. ;)

He does need some serious coaching. He's got good attributes but uses them all wrongly, surely someone can improve him?

Football Manager phrase. ;)

He does need some serious coaching. He's got good attributes but uses them all wrongly, surely someone can improve him?

I only asked because I was fairly confident the two people who used it didn't know what they meant ;)