Martins

Guest K9

4 for the season, yeah?

He will only get better with games and hopefully with a partner who can play football (Owen).

Harsh on shola. I think shola is better for martins game than owen.

I agree too, he needs a big man up there to take the flack. He shone last season when Viduka was playing right up there (and Owen was playing but in a different role).

I think Jonas is more important for Martins' game, he thrives when there is another pacy player creating space for him. they looked excellent against man utd opening day of the season and dovetailed really well again today.

I think Jonas is more important for Martins' game, he thrives when there is another pacy player creating space for him. they looked excellent against man utd opening day of the season and dovetailed really well again today.

Agree there. Had a great game tonight, needs to replicate that regularly now.

I thought you'd be in here breaking up the party :razz:

4 for the season, yeah?

He will only get better with games and hopefully with a partner who can play football (Owen).

Harsh on shola. I think shola is better for martins game than owen.

I agree too, he needs a big man up there to take the flack. He shone last season when Viduka was playing right up there (and Owen was playing but in a different role).

I respectfully disagree. He didn't get to any (or many) of the flick-ons that Ameobi got his head onto today and hasn't in the past few games. Oba needs space to play and he needs the ball in to his feet, both of which happened today. I agree with johnny, Jonas is a key to the team because he opens things up, even if it's just with an intelligent run here and there. Martins thrives off of that and today, it showed.

I thought you'd be in here breaking up the party :razz:

We've seen games like this before from him and he hasn't kicked on afterwards. Good performance today but I'm not getting carried away.

How's that? ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

Inside the box he was woeful in terms of movement and creating options for the man on the ball (as was Shola like) but outside the box he was much better in holding it up, passing it, and making runs, much better. I said moments before he scored to my nephew that Villa were there for the taking and if we don't start taking a chance or if no-one takes any responsibility this game will go begging. We both said Martins is the man to take a chance. Literally a few seconds later the ball is in the back of the net. In such games he's a match winner it can't be denied. Delighted for him and for the team of course despite my criticism of him following the WBA game and my opinion that he is still very much an average player in general.

Guest Howaythetoon

don't twist it, HTT.. you were wrong again

If Martins plays like this every week or just consistently I won't mind being wrong again to be honest and I hope he does. I actually like the lad, one of only a handful of our players I actually like as people and that's because he genuinly wants to do well whenever he plays or thats how it seems anyway, i.e. he cares about his own performances which I always like in a player and regard as a good character trait in a person. Pride, self respect?

Inside the box he was woeful in terms of movement and creating options for the man on the ball (as was Shola like) but outside the box he was much better in holding it up, passing it, and making runs, much better. I said moments before he scored to my nephew that Villa were there for the taking and if we don't start taking a chance or if no-one takes any responsibility this game will go begging. We both said Martins is the man to take a chance. Literally a few seconds later the ball is in the back of the net. In such games he's a match winner it can't be denied. Delighted for him and for the team of course despite my criticism of him following the WBA game and my opinion that he is still very much an average player in general.

keep martins playing off the centre halves,stop him dropping so deep (including when the oppo have corners) and teach him to aim fro gaps between the centre half and full backs....sounds basic but it works and with his pace and strength will be difficuilt to stop. it's also a great blind "get-out" ball.

don't twist it, HTT.. you were wrong again

If Martins plays like this every week or just consistently I won't mind being wrong again to be honest and I hope he does. I actually like the lad, one of only a handful of our players I actually like as people and that's because he genuinly wants to do well whenever he plays or thats how it seems anyway, i.e. he cares about his own performances which I always like in a player and regard as a good character trait in a person. Pride, self respect?

So, so true ...

Once again after the goal his performance level went up another notch and he felt and even looked unstoppable at times.

The day it finally clicks and he can just go out there from the start with 100% confidence and self belief ... look out.

Can be frustrating watching him, but as long as hes on the pitch hes always a threat, reminds me of a better version of lua lua if anything. Pace creates space for others so very vital for us at the moment we look so dangerous on the counter with him in the team.

No matter how good he can be I still say that Martins doesnt have a good football brain.  Its like he is always on a different wave length to everyone else and not in a good way.

Great first goal tonight though..

I think for his second goal he showed a good football brain actually

No matter how good he can be I still say that Martins doesnt have a good football brain.  Its like he is always on a different wave length to everyone else and not in a good way.

Great first goal tonight though..

I think for his second goal he showed a good football brain actually

Ok but many a time he picks the wrong ball, doesnt anticipate well, blasts a pass when he just had to roll it in and many, many more things.

He is a fantastic instinct player, thats how he scores a lot of screamers.

Ive noticed that the boy has absolutley no control over the power in his left foot. He just doesnt relaise how hard he hits it be it a pass or delicate control. i saw a feww times that he absolutely lamps it sometime when he spreads play to the wings- even when theres no pressure.

average player? average players don't have a rocket shot or pace to destroy teams...or a leap to get above the tallest of defenders. 

average player is your frasier campbell. nothing special.

martins is a special flair player. he has a few attributes that nobody can match. the only thing he lacks is tactical awareness. see: michael owen. you put owen's brain in martins talent and you have one of the best strikers in the world. 

Kaka: spot on about after he scores - his confidence skyrockets and looks unplayable at times.

average player? average players don't have a rocket shot or pace to destroy teams...or a leap to get above the tallest of defenders. 

average player is your frasier campbell. nothing special.

martins is a special flair player. he has a few attributes that nobody can match. the only thing he lacks is tactical awareness. see: michael owen. you put owen's brain in martins talent and you have one of the best strikers in the world. 

Kaka: spot on about after he scores - his confidence skyrockets and looks unplayable at times.

You can say alot of bad things about Oba. But you cannot say he is average. Anything but.