The Kevin Keegan debate

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Me and my mate sat arguing today about what kind of job Kevin Keegan would do at Newcastle if he were to ever return.

He basically said:

Give KK £100m over 3 seasons and he'd have us challenging for the top 4 by the end of it and playing good football.

His argument was that he's a good judge of talent, could attract big games, would create a buzz on the stands, would be motivated to finish the job he started and that even though he lacks tactical awareness, he'd still do better here than Harry Redknapp is doing at Pompey and everyone's raving about him. He also said he did well at Man City and that he's better than or just as good as most of the managers outside of the top 4. He also said we could kill two birds with one stone by making Big Al his number 2 ready to take over one day, gives Shearer experience etc. and that "the Premiership can't be that hard outside of the top four if fucking Bolton did well". His words those ones.

I basically said no no no, you never go back, we need to move on from KK etc. etc.

However I must confess, KK, 100m, Shearer by his side and 3 years could see us in the top 6 and playing decent football. 

Could it?

What do you think...

He was never the same after we never won the title, don't think he'd do anything. Especially now as he's lost his hunger to be involved with the top flight area of the game if you will.

Guest fraser

He's an old bloke who's part of the past and, let me tell you, that's hard to say coming from me.

If not Sam, not him now.

That's no reason to get him back though.

Keegans past it, if he was that hungry to get back into it he would of by now, the past needs to be forgotten, the premierships harder now than it has ever been and Keegan didn't have what it took back then.

have often thought what it would have been like if he had been given his shares and moved onto a directing role at the club, but i feel after he moved on it wasn't really the same Keegan for me. 200m could be sunk into the club on the pitch and we may still go no where certainly a romantic thought having it go back to the good old days but as many have said times have moved on dramatically and I just dont think he has the mental stamina to ever do it at top flight again.

Keegans past it, if he was that hungry to get back into it he would of by now, the past needs to be forgotten, the premierships harder now than it has ever been and Keegan didn't have what it took back then.

Completely disagree with that.

Guest Micktoon

Have to admit, sounds good to me. Probably fall flat on its face but but just imagine if it didn't. Can you imagine the atmosphere that would be generated from the stands. Hairs on the back of me neck............

Never happen though.

Completely disagree with that.

He was so so close granted, but he just couldn't keep it up.

Hasn't watched a game of football since leaving Man City, how on earth do you expect him to be a good judge of talent, he'll have no clue who's about.

Lost his passion for the game, doesn't care enough for all the shit that goes with it anymore, quite happy doing his soccer circus.

Guest Knightrider

I'll probably regret this and no I don't want him back, but I think it could work and we could do a lot worse. Rather KK back than Shearer. Rather Big Sam got the 3 years and 100m though as CU said.

I loved Keegan as a player and as our manager - it was definitely a very special relationship but I do not want those memories spoilt.  I think the game has changed too much now and what he did then was unique and unlikely to be repeated by anyone.

The only way I could see him being involved with Newcastle again is in a PR/ambassadorial role.  I wish there was something named after him at the Club because he did soo much for the club as both player and manager and I think that the Club should honour him in some way.

Guest fraser

I loved Keegan as a player and as our manager - it was definitely a very special relationship but I do not want those memories spoilt.  I think the game has changed too much now and what he did then was unique and unlikely to be repeated by anyone.

The only way I could see him being involved with Newcastle again is in a PR/ambassadorial role.  I wish there was something named after him at the Club because he did soo much for the club as both player and manager and I think that the Club should honour him in some way.

I agree with this. A stand at least.

I'll probably regret this and no I don't want him back, but I think it could work and we could do a lot worse. Rather KK back than Shearer. Rather Big Sam got the 3 years and 100m though as CU said.

Do I detect a thinly disguised agenda here Coachie?