The Kevin Keegan debate

Guest Knightrider

Anyone know how long his contract is for?

Expires next week.

Seriously, does anyone know? Some fella on here who said he was ITK (i know, i know) said 3 years didn't he?

Ignore any ITK's on here. There are none.

Yep, could've been luck that he called it, maybe more than likely.

I'm asking because if KK is on a short term contract i can't have any serious reservations, if it's 3+ years then   i feel ambiguous about it.

I can't see him lasting 3 years, either way.

Will Keegan be able to adapt to the new premiership which changed dramatically after the arrival of Mourhino? If Keegan gets us playing like he did in the 90s my bet is that he still wouldnt get u into the top5 or 6, becasue the defensive organisation of teams has changed so much.

I can see his brand of football making mince meat of lower teams out there, but will the tactically adept and organzied teams such as Chelsea Arsenal etc succumb to our football. My opinion is no.

The game is a lot less open and teams have a "containing" style which is a completely new style.

Will Keegan be able to adapt? I personally am not sure, but i have to admit that this is truly a golden time for nufc fans only. I say this cautiously becasue i was very optimistic with Allardyce.

To be fair to the owners they've probably made a smart choice becasue whilst not the most ambitious appointment, it truly is one of the most inspirational appointments.

Will Keegan be able to adapt to the new premiership which changed dramatically after the arrival of Mourhino? If Keegan gets us playing like he did in the 90s my bet is that he still wouldnt get u into the top5 or 6, becasue the defensive organisation of teams has changed so much.

I can see his brand of football making mince meat of lower teams out there, but will the tactically adept and organzied teams such as Chelsea Arsenal etc succumb to our football. My opinion is no.

The game is a lot less open and teams have a "containing" style which is a completely new style.

Will Keegan be able to adapt? I personally am not sure, but i have to admit that this is truly a golden time for nufc fans only. I say this cautiously becasue i was very optimistic with Allardyce.

To be fair to the owners they've probably made a smart choice becasue whilst not the most ambitious appointment, it truly is one of the most inspirational appointments.

Smart in the populist sense, but not in the sense of a long term plan for the club.

My hope is:

1.  Keegan will see the need to bring is tactically astute and talented coaches to prepare the team.  The old Liverpool way of 'just go out and play your football son' won't make us a top team imo.  He needs a Queroz type to support him, we never really replaced Fazackerly when he was last in charge and the current support team don't seem up to it judging by the way we played under Allardyce.

2.  Mort takes away responsibility for the infrastructure of the club from KK entirely.  I wouldn't want to see the progress we've made on injury management thrown away, and based on the past KK will have zero interest in the academy, reserves and youth set up and probably the scouting set up too.  These are however vital to the future of the club imo.

My hope is:

1.  Keegan will see the need to bring is tactically astute and talented coaches to prepare the team.  The old Liverpool way of 'just go out and play your football son' won't make us a top team imo.  He needs a Queroz type to support him, we never really replaced Fazackerly when he was last in charge and the current support team don't seem up to it judging by the way we played under Allardyce.

2.  Mort takes away responsibility for the infrastructure of the club from KK entirely.  I wouldn't want to see the progress we've made on injury management thrown away, and based on the past KK will have zero interest in the academy, reserves and youth set up and probably the scouting set up too.  These are however vital to the future of the club imo.

Agree Kitty he needs to get in a modern coach to balance our approach.

HTT

Ancient history, mate.

All those crying out for Keegans return should read Sams interview in the Mag. He is obviously spot on with too many of you living in the past. Sir Alex was also right too with too many of you living in the past on our 5-0 victory against Man U in 96.

Like it or not, stats show that longevity breeds results. We have had too much change in the past few years. Sam will get it right, eventually, but it will not be this season, possibly not even next season, but probably the season aferwards, given time and support.

By the way, give me 100 million quid and Shearer by my side and I think I would get us champions league football. Sadly, I doubt Sam will be as fortunate as a Mourinho in having that sort of financial clout behind him.

classic post by macca888, who has trotted out the cockney journo line of "keegan was a failure because he spent loads of money and won nowt" for literally years............ because he knows nothing other than that.

mackems.gif mackems.gif

Despite being shown the fact by me [and others] that ALL our managers since, who have been backed to the hilt just like Keegan, have got nowhere near what he says is his "failure" because he was "tactically inept" and "had a bad defence" [despite conceding only 2 goals more than the team that won the title] and remains the best defensive record by any NUFC team in the premiership [again those managed by managers other than the "tactically inept" Keegan].

What a laugh.

The last claim is that the "tactically inept" Keegan "lost a 12 point lead" [because the London Journos say so] and he clings to that despite being shown that Man U had games in hand. I would expect a London journo, a manu fan, a mackem, or someone who hates Geordies,  to keep peddling this slant on the true situation, but not someone who says he is a Newcastle supporter.

The comments he made here about Allardyce, is pretty much the same as the ones he has made about every manager we have had apart from Keegan.  Lets hope we are 12 points clear at the top of the league next January, despite this "tactical superiority" that has seen us nowhere near it ever since him too.

I love these cliches where people say football has "changed".

I didn't realise that the goals were bigger, or teams played with more players ..............  ;D

I didn't realise that the goals were bigger, or teams played with more players ..............  ;D

Some managers have just been giving players too many instructions...Which the majority forget after 5 min anyway.. :razz:

Well there something you don't see eveyday, a post from NE5 that you nod in agreement too. I also don't buy into this crap about the game changing, if we play with the same skill as the teams KK produced in the 90's we'll be a match for anyone, I have no doubt about that.

Well there something you don't see eveyday, a post from NE5 that you nod in agreement too. I also don't buy into this crap about the game changing, if we play with the same skill as the teams KK produced in the 90's we'll be a match for anyone, I have no doubt about that.

Well, what can I say other than its a shame you haven't tried to debate factual information with me when you haven't agreed !!!!!

The always moaning James Lawton's take on Keegan's appointment:

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news-and-comment/article3345116.ece

James Lawton: Keegan's return testament to terminal madness of St James'

After all the years of broken football romance, all the failures to mature into a knowing, fighting organisation able to live in the hard world inhabited by serial winners like Manchester United and Arsenal, what do Newcastle do?

They fire their wobbly old cupid's arrow at Kevin Keegan, who ever so briefly set all their hearts aflutter. They are, yesterday's evidence insisted, terminally mad.

They wouldn't know a professional reflex if it was projected in neon from the statue of the Angel of the North, which is such a welcoming symbol on the A1 for the followers of serious football teams who head to St James' Park with sure-fire hopes of fresh plundering.

Let's not be too dismissive of some of the fine qualities of Keegan. He was a wonderful player. He made himself into one with a dedication and a spirit that still shame so many of the most gifted members of today's generation of performers and for the first phase of his five-year reign as Newcastle manager he produced a stirring cocktail of football that reminded the fans of his warrior impact in the black-and-white stripes. But that was more than a decade ago – and it was promise not fulfilment, it was foreplay not coitus, it was a dream not reality.

Why, so many years on and after the trauma of his departures from Tyneside, England and Manchester City, would Keegan again commend himself to the Newcastle directors at the age of 56? Because the men who run the club continue to fight one long, losing battle with the demand to look around them and learn a few basic lessons about how you make a winning football club.

You don't do as the fabulously wealthy businessman Mike Ashley has done with his call to the past.

You don't deck yourself out as a fan and feed on their fantasies. You talk to a few men who know the business, who could have explained to him why – after Keegan's emotional meltdown and decision to leave the job in which he had promised so much but failed to meet some fundamental challenges of organisation and discipline – football men of the quality of Ruud Gullit, Kenny Dalglish, Sir Bobby Robson and Graeme Souness were all obliged to leave with the brand of loser.

They weren't losers. In one way they were like the fans. They were victims of a corporate incompetence.

What Keegan did achieve – and no amount of sneering here can obscure it – was a thrilling vision of what could happen if Newcastle were truly set alight. Of course there were flames enough when Keegan reigned. But they burnt out so quickly even a 12-point lead in the Premiership was allowed to splutter away. It was like watching a beautiful painting ripped apart in front of your eyes. The trouble was Keegan couldn't protect his work. He had the heart for the job but not the head. In his eagerness to sign the brilliant Faustino Asprilla, a leggy marvel of intricate skill, he omitted to work out what he would do when the Colombian arrived at St James' Park as thelast brushstroke in a masterpiece.

Keegan compromised. He lost the balance of attack which had been provided by two wide players giving the team tremendous width and poise. Newcastle became cluttered in attack – and remained painfully porous in defence.

Do Newcastle now expect Keegan to come back with a harder head and a surer sense of what he wants to do, his wildest hopes tempered by the pain of failure with England and Manchester City? Or do they hope to underpin his appeal with the appointment of an old pro "assistant". It cannot be so if they are even now contemplating a second tier of fan appeal with another great hero of the terraces, Alan Shearer, who has strongly hinted that he is ready to claim what many in the North-east have always seen as his destiny to play a part in the management of the club of his native soil and the one he chose in preference to Manchester United? It is a scenario of nonsense.

With the departure of Sam Allardyce, it seemed that Ashley knew what he wanted and had quickly discarded his inheritance from the former chairman Freddy Shepherd. There was a suspicion that while playing to the gallery of the fans, and laddishly supping his pints, he might just have been taking wiser counsel.

Harry Redknapp might not have been a dream appointment, but he did promise a knack for producing football which pleased the eye and which, with the right financial support, might even have begun to produce consistent results. But Ashley made a mess of that; he forgot the classic rule of cross-examination, the one that insists you never ask a question if you don't know the answer. Redknapp gave the wrong answer and where did that leave Ashley? It should have left him fighting to repair the disaster and making offers to such as Mark Hughes and David Moyes, tough men of a new generation who have already proved that they know how to lick under-performing clubs into shape.

It was really the least you might have expected of the tough businessman who made his fortune by following his instincts and not the kind of palsied received wisdom that for so long left his acquisition Newcastle United in chains.

Almost unbelievably, he has not done that. He has submitted instead to the curse of St James' Park. He has turned his face to yesterday and we all know, in the case of Newcastle United, what you get there. It is empty and, let's be honest, increasingly pathetic dreams.

Don't get the impression he likes us.

All of this anti-Newcastle press is to be expected now. Tedious though it may be, it's just London-centric hacks feeling threatened by a Toon Army reinvigorated by Keegan's return and the promise of Ashley's cash behind him. They may just be shitting themselves. :parky:

simple fact is, this guy is just another cockney based journo who peddles anti NUFC bullshit at every opportunity because they know deep down that the day we get the right person running this club, we will piss all over their own particular darlings, in particular those who pretend they support ManU when they come from somewhere like Lands End, Dublin or Belfast.

His whole view stinks of the notion that we shouldn't support Newcastle because we are Geordies, as if it is nothing to do with who you "choose" to support.

Like all the other fuckwits who read this shite and take it on board [including the absolute bollocks about the 12 point lead and the poor defence].

What I find totally staggering, is those who slate Keegan off for "losing this 12 point lead" blah blah when we have appointed nobody since who has got anywhere near it, desite KK being "tactically inept"

Such as macca888 who has spouted this utter shit for years ...  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Keegan has unfinished business at Newcastle. He has never been the same since he left Newcastle, and Newcastle have never been the same since he left either.

If he doesn't match the magnificent team he gave us the first time round, then I'm pretty confident it will stil be a damn sight better than what has been the norm over the past few years, and I'm pretty confident that it will be a lot better than the cockney tosser Redknappy and the Scottish fuckwit Souness - who numerous knackers like macca888 backed as being more "tactically astute" or some other stupid phrase which is supposed to mean something, would have provided.

bluelaugh.gif

simple fact is, this guy is just another cockney based journo who peddles anti NUFC bullshit at every opportunity because they know deep down that the day we get the right person running this club, we will piss all over their own particular darlings, in particular those who pretend they support ManU when they come from somewhere like Lands End, Dublin or Belfast.

His whole view stinks of the notion that we shouldn't support Newcastle because we are Geordies, as if it is nothing to do with who you "choose" to support.

Like all the other fuckwits who read this s**** and take it on board [including the absolute bollocks about the 12 point lead and the poor defence].

What I find totally staggering, is those who slate Keegan off for "losing this 12 point lead" blah blah when we have appointed nobody since who has got anywhere near it, desite KK being "tactically inept"

Such as macca888 who has spouted this utter s*** for years ...  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Keegan has unfinished business at Newcastle. He has never been the same since he left Newcastle, and Newcastle have never been the same since he left either.

If he doesn't match the magnificent team he gave us the first time round, then I'm pretty confident it will stil be a damn sight better than what has been the norm over the past few years, and I'm pretty confident that it will be a lot better than the cockney tosser Redknappy and the Scottish fuckwit Souness - who numerous knackers like macca888 backed as being more "tactically astute" or some other stupid phrase which is supposed to mean something, would have provided.

bluelaugh.gif

Proof of what Keegan can do here should be obvious to everybody considering what has happened this past few days.  I don't think we played so well on Wenesday by accident.  It might have only been Stoke but it was the same Stoke that almost put us out of the competition in the first game yet our 10 men pissed all over them.

I can't wait to see what impact Keegan has on N'Zogbia.

Like all the other fuckwits who read this s**** and take it on board [including the absolute bollocks about the 12 point lead and the poor defence].

Such as macca888 who has spouted this utter s*** for years ...  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

bluelaugh.gif

Proof of what Keegan can do here should be obvious to everybody considering what has happened this past few days.  I don't think we played so well on Wenesday by accident.  It might have only been Stoke but it was the same Stoke that almost put us out of the competition in the first game yet our 10 men pissed all over them.

I can't wait to see what impact Keegan has on N'Zogbia.

I'd like to say that I have something constructive to say to you. But I can't get away from the FACT that Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher were responsible for appointing Keegan, Sir John Hall decided to float the club on the stock exchange which led to losing him, yet you seem to think Sir John Hall is the hero of all this .......  bluelaugh.gif

Back where we started. If not for going PLC he would never have left. FACT. I'm pleased you have finally got rid of that avatar, but it should have been an avatar of the Halls.

I'd like to say that I have something constructive to say to you. But I can't get away from the FACT that Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher were responsible for appointing Keegan, Sir John Hall decided to float the club on the stock exchange which led to losing him, yet you seem to think Sir John Hall is the hero of all this .......  bluelaugh.gif

Back where we started. If not for going PLC he would never have left. FACT. I'm pleased you have finally got rid of that avatar, but it should have been an avatar of the Halls.

Another highly relevant reply, well done.

Another highly relevant reply, well done.

another post where you don't dispute FACTS because they don't suit your "opinion". Well done.

another post where you don't dispute FACTS because they don't suit your "opinion". Well done.

:explode:

Another post where you say absolutely nothing. Well done.

mackems.gif