The Kevin Keegan debate

Guest Knightrider

Lot of myths seems to be circulated re this appointment.

I'm not concerned he has been out of the game for 3 years, remind me how long he was out last time he came back?

Football has changed too much since the 90's - Has it, that offside rule is a bit of a bugger, but thought the rules were the same otherwise?

Keegan was defensively poor - Has somebody backed this up with fact. The year we lost the league, didn't we have the second best defensive record in the league, and pretty close to that in other seasons?

He only did it because of the money he was given - Are you sure? When he turned round the nearly relegated team in 1992 only Beresford and Venison played regularly in that squad. Bracewell was injured, and Cole/Robinson and Sellars were signed when the league was in the bag. Even in the following season when we finished 3rd, we didn't spend a lot, Beardsley and Malcolm Allen being the two main signings I think.

We need a foreign manager - Why is Keegan more of a risk than Deschamps who has not managed in this league? Houllier ruled himself out, and Mort pretty much said that some manager wouldn't come to a team outside the Champions League - i.e Mourinho, Van Gaal, Hiddink etc.

Bottom line is I think with a bit of proper support I even think the current squad is top 6 material - FFS we only need to be better than Everton/Man City/Portsmouth to get there, and even if Keegan isn't the answer, it has galvanised our questionable home support. If it doesn't work out, Keegan will no doubt admit it and not hang around for compensation and leave with his reputation intact. Funny how that is considered to be a sign of a quitter, surely it shows an honourable man, similar to Stuart Pearce, who isn't in it only for the cash?

Sorry for the defensive rant, I've got Sky on in the background and I'm getting carried away!

4th best defence one year, 5th best the next.

What did people want before KK re-signed? Not what specific manager, but WHAT did they want?

I wanted a manager who would take us back to the top 6, get rid of the deadwood, not pretend the shite players we have are good enough, rebuild our youth setup, and build, from that top 6, to a push on the top 4. I wanted to be top 6/7 and the end of next season.

Do we REALLY think Keegan can do that, nowadays?

Genuine Questions:

1) Why did he leave his last 4 jobs?

2) Has the pressure/expectation LESSENED since he couldn't hack it last time?

3) Does he have a history of buiding youth setups?

4) Has he changed as a person?

I hope to fuck he does well, becasue we desperately need to get back to the UEFA spots. But, hand on heart, I don't have a great feeling about it.

Not like Roeder/Souness/Allardyce, who i KNEW in my heart weren't right. I love Keegan, and want desperately for him to take us away from mid table mediocrity. But I don't know if he can.

I think we are in serious danger of putting on our black and white tinted glasses, and pretend we're a big club, and pretend we've signed the best manager for us, who is BOUND to get us to where we want to be. I wish it were true, but i don't think it is. Passion doe snot equal the right man, else half of US would be great for the job.

Hopefully i'll be wrong, and obviously, he deserves all of the support any decent new manager shoudl get. As long as he gets rid of fucking Smith. :lol:

Fair post. :thup:

What did people want before KK re-signed? Not what specific manager, but WHAT did they want?

I wanted a manager who would take us back to the top 6, get rid of the deadwood, not pretend the shite players we have are good enough, rebuild our youth setup, and build, from that top 6, to a push on the top 4. I wanted to be top 6/7 and the end of next season.

Do we REALLY think Keegan can do that, nowadays?

Genuine Questions:

1) Why did he leave his last 4 jobs?

2) Has the pressure/expectation LESSENED since he couldn't hack it last time?

3) Does he have a history of buiding youth setups?

4) Has he changed as a person?

I hope to fuck he does well, becasue we desperately need to get back to the UEFA spots. But, hand on heart, I don't have a great feeling about it.

Not like Roeder/Souness/Allardyce, who i KNEW in my heart weren't right. I love Keegan, and want desperately for him to take us away from mid table mediocrity. But I don't know if he can.

I think we are in serious danger of putting on our black and white tinted glasses, and pretend we're a big club, and pretend we've signed the best manager for us, who is BOUND to get us to where we want to be. I wish it were true, but i don't think it is. Passion doe snot equal the right man, else half of US would be great for the job.

Hopefully i'll be wrong, and obviously, he deserves all of the support any decent new manager shoudl get. As long as he gets rid of fucking Smith. :lol:

Fair post. :thup:

Jesus, mate, I was only joking about the liking "scene" men thing. ;)

Oh, and cheers - i'm not ALWAYS a cunt, you know.

Reasonable post Northern Monkey, but I thing people dwelling on him walking out on jobs and saying that is a bad thing is wrong.

We have had experience of managers who should have gone, but hung around to be sacked to pick up the compensation. Souness here and McClaren at England being prime examples, but it happens all the time. A manager knows he has lost the fans, the team and board room, goes to the papers and says I am not a quitter. Its all crap basically they are just saying they are hanging round for the comp.

The game is full of managers picking up vast sums for failing, it shouldn't be held as a bad thing when somebody holds their hands up as saying that they weren't good enough, or that they didn't think they could give everything to it any more, and walking out with nothing.

Reasonable post Northern Monkey, but I thing people dwelling on him walking out on jobs and saying that is a bad thing is wrong.

We have had experience of managers who should have gone, but hung around to be sacked to pick up the compensation. Souness here and McClaren at England being prime examples, but it happens all the time. A manager knows he has lost the fans, the team and board room, goes to the papers and says I am not a quitter. Its all crap basically they are just saying they are hanging round for the comp.

The game is full of managers picking up vast sums for failing, it shouldn't be held as a bad thing when somebody holds their hands up as saying that they weren't good enough, or that they didn't think they could give everything to it any more, and walking out with nothing.

You make a very good point. But we all know, really, that Keegan was broken by football at one point.....e can ry and dress it up as him being honourable, etc, but the fact is that he HAD to walk away. And that scares me.

We CAN'T just pretend that everythig is ok if its not - we can't applaud players who re shite, we can't say we played well if we haven't.....it would make us stupid, liars, and blind, and thats not what being a Geordie is for me. Thats why I couldn't pretend Fat Sam was right, or Roeder, etc, and why i didn't want to give them no more time.

I'm NOT saying KK is an Allardyce/Roeder/Souness, obviously, but i hate it when we, as Geordies (those who ARE), convince ourselves that whoever we sign (player or manager) is the answer. We let ourselves down.

I certainly wasn't in favour of his appointment. I'd agree that his recent record is a worry. He's very much a person who relies on passion and adrenalin, and when that fades he's found it difficult to keep himself going.

But then you look at the result tonight, and you have to scratch your head. Apart from a few years under Sir Bob, the spirit around the club hasn't been right, on or off the pitch. Whatever his limitations, Keegan has the ability to restore that positive, united atmosphere and that counts for something, particularly in our present position.

He'll need to be backed by money though. He's never been much use unless he's been able to spend.

thats what makes me laugh, all these "football has moved on" rants

- has it?

Don't you still need to kick that bag on wind into the back of the net more times than your opponent to win?

The game is the same. The way its played/managed/financed/etc has changed in ten years, of course.

Anyone a bit worried that his heart might not be totally in it?

When I saw him on SSN in his tracksuit I wondered if he was bothered at all. Looked tired.

However, he must have done some pretty good convincing to Ashley and Mort to be given the job iyam.

Or it might have been Ashley and Mort who did the convincing. The main motivation behind this may be marketing tickets and shirts rather than growing a football club. But the idea may be for Keegan to be the figurehead/messiah and those under him to be the real force. My own opinion is that Keegan is a highly strung individual who can't handle intense pressure and in terms of football management he is mentally shot. With strong people under him we can wing it and it will be interesting to see who turn up as his assistants.

Anyone a bit worried that his heart might not be totally in it?

When I saw him on SSN in his tracksuit I wondered if he was bothered at all. Looked tired.

However, he must have done some pretty good convincing to Ashley and Mort to be given the job iyam.

Or it might have been Ashley and Mort who did the convincing. The main motivation behind this may be marketing tickets and shirts rather than growing a football club. But the idea may be for Keegan to be the figurehead/messiah and those under him to be the real force. My own opinion is that Keegan is a highly strung individual who can't handle intense pressure and in terms of football management he is mentally shot. With strong people under him we can wing it and it will be interesting to see who turn up as his assistants.

Deep down, we know this is an emotional/populist decision rather than a long term, thought-out one. But it's done now, and at least its not fucking Redknapp.

I'm listening to BBC Radio 5 Live on the web, and I got to say, there's so much optimism, passion, excitement and I don't know what around...

It's beautiful.. Wonderland:) Get tears in m eyes here! We need Shearer back, just to top it :)

Anyone know how long his contract is for?

Expires next week.

Seriously, does anyone know? Some fella on here who said he was ITK (i know, i know) said 3 years didn't he?

Ignore any ITK's on here. There are none.

Yup.  5Live say 3.1/2 years

Anyone know how long his contract is for?

Expires next week.

Seriously, does anyone know? Some fella on here who said he was ITK (i know, i know) said 3 years didn't he?

Ignore any ITK's on here. There are none.

Yep, could've been luck that he called it, maybe more than likely.

I'm asking because if KK is on a short term contract i can't have any serious reservations, if it's 3+ years then  i feel ambiguous about it.