Newcastle Supporters Miss Freddie Shepherd

Stu

...is the only logical explanation that I can come up with for the fans who continue to fuel the media-storm surrounding Allardyce. For example, the guy on Radio5Live yesterday morning insisting Sam should be sacked (NE5?).

It seems like many supporters have become used to knee-jerk reactions by the manager or board under the old regime - so familiar were the stories of us changing manager, splashing out on a multi-million pound "superstar" or even digging up the training pitch!

With the club constantly in the headlines over the last 5 years of Shepherd's reign, journalists were able to use the club to sell papers - now, with a more structured and disciplined regime, a lot of journalists find themselves with nothing to write about. I honestly believe that the fans are the same, without any superstar signings or great performances, they're impatient for a sign of great things to come and can't accept the fact that a year or two (at least) are needed for the club to settle down and become more stable.

We have the right owners for this, we have the right managers for this, we have some of the right playing squad for this but do we have the right fans for this?

...is the only logical explanation that I can come up with for the fans who continue to fuel the media-storm surrounding Allardyce. For example, the guy on Radio5Live yesterday morning insisting Sam should be sacked (NE5?).

It seems like many supporters have become used to knee-jerk reactions by the manager or board under the old regime - so familiar were the stories of us changing manager, splashing out on a multi-million pound "superstar" or even digging up the training pitch!

With the club constantly in the headlines over the last 5 years of Shepherd's reign, journalists were able to use the club to sell papers - now, with a more structured and disciplined regime, a lot of journalists find themselves with nothing to write about. I honestly believe that the fans are the same, without any superstar signings or great performances, they're impatient for a sign of great things to come and can't accept the fact that a year or two (at least) are needed for the club to settle down and become more stable.

We have the right owners for this, we have the right managers for this, we have some of the right playing squad for this but do we have the right fans for this?

mackems.gif

I could start with asking how many "superstars" you think we will need to catch the top 4 who don't buy any themselves, and even how many we actually have on the books at the moment ?

But I'll just say that I'm pleased for you that you are happy with the mediocrity we are suffering and some of the players we brought in instead

BTW, your username made me smile too

mackems.gif

I could start with asking how many "superstars" you think we will need to catch the top 4 who don't buy any themselves, and even how many we actually have on the books at the moment ?

But I'll just say that I'm pleased for you that you are happy with the mediocrity we are suffering and some of the players we brought in instead

As they say, simple things please simple minds...

PS: the signings of Luque, Owen and Boumsong are all examples of where the old-regime paid over the odds to satisfy the 'demands' of the fans and keep them happy for a few months (until the next 'crisis')

Guest nufc 4 life

mackems.gif

:blob7: :blob8:

mackems.gif

I can't think of anything more stupid than you thinking I would phone the radio and demand Allardyce be sacked. It proves conclusively you don't read this site or my posts.

And, aye, your username is pretty apt tbh.

Why don't you answer the comments I referred to in your previous post and try to prove me wrong if you think you are so smart ?

Guest Ridzuan

As the old saying goes,old habits die hard and I think it is the same situation here.Im sure as the time goes,we will slowly stop talking about the same old thing.

PS: the signings of Luque, Owen and Boumsong are all examples of where the old-regime paid over the odds to satisfy the 'demands' of the fans and keep them happy for a few months (until the next 'crisis')

HERE HERE!

As the old saying goes,old habits die hard and I think it is the same situation here.Im sure as the time goes,we will slowly stop talking about the same old thing.

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

mackems.gif

I can't think of anything more stupid than you thinking I would phone the radio and demand Allardyce be sacked. It proves conclusively you don't read this site or my posts.

Why don't you answer the comments I referred to in your previous post and try to prove me wrong if you think you are so smart ?

NE5 - apologies for associating you with the "Allardyce-Out" section of our supporters. I seem to have confused your reasoned and optimistic view of current proceedings with someone else's rantings!

As for the comments you made in the original reply:

"I could start with asking how many "superstars" you think we will need to catch the top 4 who don't buy any themselves, and even how many we actually have on the books at the moment ?

But I'll just say that I'm pleased for you that you are happy with the mediocrity we are suffering and some of the players we brought in instead"

Are you saying that you want superstar-type signings or not? Personally, I'm of the view that the fundamentals of the club need to be sorted before we should be thinking about splashing the cash on footballers. So long as we retain our premiership status and begin to show gradual improvements in league position over the next 2-3 years, I'm more than happy for some of the champions-league rollercoaster hype to be lost. Once we've got a solid club with a solid team, we can start to attract players with not only the right skills (to take us up another level) but the right attitude towards the club, the fans and the sport.

A better explanation is that Allardyce is an arrogant overrated clown and the final cockup of Fat Fred's time here, one final mistake left from the Fred era that needs to be removed so we can start a fresh properly :)

A better explanation is that Allardyce is an arrogant overrated clown and the final cockup of Fat Fred's time here, one final mistake left from the Fred era that needs to be removed so we can start a fresh properly :)

But surely you can see that by continuing the instability of the previous regime will only deter prospective managers from taking up the job?

mackems.gif

NE5 - apologies for associating you with the "Allardyce-Out" section of our supporters. I seem to have confused your reasoned and optimistic view of current proceedings with someone else's rantings!

As for the comments you made in the original reply:

"I could start with asking how many "superstars" you think we will need to catch the top 4 who don't buy any themselves, and even how many we actually have on the books at the moment ?

But I'll just say that I'm pleased for you that you are happy with the mediocrity we are suffering and some of the players we brought in instead"

Are you saying that you want superstar-type signings or not? Personally, I'm of the view that the fundamentals of the club need to be sorted before we should be thinking about splashing the cash on footballers. So long as we retain our premiership status and begin to show gradual improvements in league position over the next 2-3 years, I'm more than happy for some of the champions-league rollercoaster hype to be lost. Once we've got a solid club with a solid team, we can start to attract players with not only the right skills (to take us up another level) but the right attitude towards the club, the fans and the sport.

My opinion is that you should buy the best quality players at all times, depending on the financial situation. This is how successful clubs operate, and how we ourselves have operated for the past 15 years ie anything less is not showing the ambition that should be shown by NUFC.

I think talk of "hollywood", "trophy" and "superstar" signings is a load of bollocks. This is why I asked you to substantiate these "superstar" signings with names that we have signed ?

Which you don't.

Unfortunately, what we need right now is the best quality player we can for certain positions. There is no time like the present for getting back into europe asap. I don't see the point or the need to muddle around settling for sub standard players.

You lack faith in the club if you are content to go down this route you appear to advocate. I don't know what you mean by "sorted" as I think such talk smacks of mediocrity and hype.

The club have signed as many quality players [in the opinion of their appointed managers] that they have been able to in the past 15 years. That is what you need to do.

Replace those names with Robert, Shearer and Bellamy and you might start to get the idea.

Actually I think there must be quite a few people who do miss Shepherd in a way, as now there's noone to make an easy scapegoat of for anything that goes wrong at the club or when they want to defend the poor performance of the manager.

Replace those names with Robert, Shearer and Bellamy and you might start to get the idea.

Actually I think there must be quite a few people who do miss Shepherd in a way, as now there's noone to make an easy scapegoat of for anything that goes wrong at the club or when they want to defend the poor performance of the manager.

Yep, the manager misses him most, all anger is targeted directly at SA feet.

My opinion is that you should buy the best quality players at all times, depending on the financial situation. This is how successful clubs operate, and how we ourselves have operated for the past 15 years ie anything less is not showing the ambition that should be shown by NUFC.

I think talk of "hollywood", "trophy" and "superstar" signings is a load of bollocks. This is why I asked you to substantiate these "superstar" signings with names that we have signed ?

Which you don't.

Unfortunately, what we need right now is the best quality player we can for certain positions. There is no time like the present for getting back into europe asap. I don't see the point or the need to muddle around settling for sub standard players.

You lack faith in the club if you are content to go down this route you appear to advocate. I don't know what you mean by "sorted" as I think such talk smacks of mediocrity and hype.

The club have signed as many quality players [in the opinion of their appointed managers] that they have been able to in the past 15 years. That is what you need to do.

When I say "superstar", I am of course referring to those big-money signings that Shepherd loved to make when the supporters started to get restless. The 7-figure-attention-drawing-away-from-the-pitch-sum, as I said above the likes of Luque, Owen, Boumsong were bought at a time when the fans weren't particularly impressed with recent results but were temporarily satisfied at the prospect of seeing the new players play. Instead of throwing money at a couple of 'quality' players, it could have been used to either strengthen the squad, or the club's infrastructure creating a more long-lasting improvement at the club.

The attitude you have can work, but only if you have the right judgement in place - which I think we've proven (even under Keegan and Robson) isn't one of our strengths.

By going down the route I've highlighted, we're sacrificing potential short term gains for long-term, sustainable improvements. With the aim being that in 3-4 years time, we're supporters of a well-organised, professional outfit that can withstand the rollercoaster of emotion in football. This in turn, will enable us to attract professional, skillful, ambitious and match-winning/game-changing players who have a genuine passion for the sport combined with a winning attitude - something I don't think we've truly succeeded in doing since Shearer.

Shearer aside (which was a record-breaking fee at the time remember), the other two had bagfuls of talent but lacked the attitude to put the club before themselves. I'm a huge fan of both, but their conduct while they were here spoke volumes about the way the club was ran/state of the dressing room.