Greatest First Touch In The Premiership Era?

Tooj

Lots of people pointing towards the obvious but Shearer had as good as first touch as any player then or now. Certainly as good as the likes of Bergkamp (who did have as good touch tbh). Sometimes he is under-rated here for some reason.

Lots of people pointing towards the obvious but Shearer had as good as first touch as any player then or now. Certainly as good as the likes of Bergkamp (who did have as good touch tbh). Sometimes he is under-rated here for some reason.

remember when i was younger i read an article which said robbie fowler would succeed in Serie A because he was skilful, but shearer wouldn't cos he wasn't good enough with the ball at his feet. rubbish tbh, shearer never looked out of his depth at international level, unlike fowler, i also think shearer's intelligence and positioning was far beyond fowler's. as someone else pointed out, shearer was the best crosser at our club for x number of years, just a pity he wasnt fast enough to get on the end of his own deliveries...

Shearer's touch was always class, remember when he was at Blackburn as well when he used to be able to run with the ball often and easily ghost past people, yet whenever people think of Shearer, they only think of Shearer at us, not the player who when he was at Blackburn was one of the greatest the game has ever witnessed.

The epitome of Shearer's touch was in his final season, remember when we won away at Villa just after Roeder took over, someone whacked the ball into him  and first touch he played an absolutely amazing lay off for Big Shola to fire home.

Guest Knightrider

Aye, Shearer's touch was very good, exemplary in fact. His left foot wasn't too bad either. He was by no means two footed but he could use his left foot to do the basics pretty well.

Guest Knightrider

I'll add Le Tissier to the list. His first touch and all-round technique was amazing and his footballing brain just topped it all off. He was so slow as a player, he had no pace, yet regularly dribbled his way past 3-4 players in the same way Beardsley used to, using both feet quickly to shift the ball quickly rather than using pace to knock the ball past a player or a trick ala Ronaldinho or Ronaldo. This is a feature sadly lacking in the game today, players dribbling through players using skill rather than knocking it past a player and beating him for pace. Players tend to dribble around players today instead of through them. Having said that, I think Ronaldo has the full lot in terms of dribbling, he can beat players by dribbling through them, around them, using a trick or simply by knocking it past his man and using his pace. That's why for me he's such a great player as dribbling along with volleying is the hardest technique to master.

Even at Newcastle his touch was class. I remember one goal in particular at home to Everton when it was him and Bellamy up-front, Bellamy played it to him, Kluivert had two defenders up his backside and with one deft touch Bellamy was through with a clear run on goal to score. Pure class.

Even at Newcastle his touch was class.

The home leg against Marseille sticks out for me. Beginning of the twilight of his career, yet in that game we blasted balls up to at all angles and in one touch with leg, foot or chest it was down on the carpet or brilliantly into the path of one of ours.

Guest jimmy1982

Anyone who doesn't mention Shearer on this list has never seen the bloke play. He had an absolutely top notch first touch, and that's not just in to his feet - how many times did he get awkward balls belted into his chest, thighs, feet etc etc, with a 6 foot odd centre half piling into his back, and kill it impeccably and instantly and then lay it off to Nobby/Robert/etc in such a way that it felt wrong if you didn't applaud? Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds, that's how many. Like his crossing, his first time control of the ball was second to none and vastly underrated. Since this is an NUFC message board that probably seems biased but it's true.

Beardsley and Cantona had spot on first touches as well, and as some people have said Kluivert had the most natural, silky first touch, which makes it all the more of a shame that he did not a lot for us. Bergkamp was canny but then he almost always got perfectly weighted balls into his feet from the Arsenal lot, unlike Shearer who had it lumped to him from all over creation, by the likes of O'Brien, Bramble and Carr. Not taking anything away from Bergkamp, he was a belter of a number 10, if a bit sneaky.

Any player who continually received balls into feet with his back to goal and who did it effectively over a period of time in the Premier League (eg Keane, Hughes) must have had a good first touch by default. I thought Sibierski displayed a heck of a first touch during his time with us. There are loads though - McAllister, Di Canio, Henry... the list goes on but Shearer had the best.

Now as our players are all seemingly lambasted for their first touches being that of a pass etc

It got me thinking, who would you say since "The Sky Era" what player has had the greatest touch in this country, no comparison to this fella I feel.  O0

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9656/bergkampleicester1997bt4.jpg

Absolutely right - that goal at SJP when he left Dabizas for dead before sticking it in, just about all in one movement, was sheer class...

Even at Newcastle his touch was class.

The home leg against Marseille sticks out for me. Beginning of the twilight of his career, yet in that game we blasted balls up to at all angles and in one touch with leg, foot or chest it was down on the carpet or brilliantly into the path of one of ours.

I was talking about Kluivert. ;)

With his all-round qualities, Shearer was the best striker of the Premiership era, but I think you'd be hard put to find a non-NUFC supporter who'd say he had a better first touch than the likes of Cantona, Berkgamp, Di Canio etc

Likewise Beardsley. He'd probably win the award for the quickest feet though.

Now as our players are all seemingly lambasted for their first touches being that of a pass etc

It got me thinking, who would you say since "The Sky Era" what player has had the greatest touch in this country, no comparison to this fella I feel.  O0

Absolutely right - that goal at SJP when he left Dabizas for dead before sticking it in, just about all in one movement, was sheer class...

Admitted it was a fluke didn't he?

Either way, for my money the best player the premier league has had the pleasure to host

Guest teepee

i have to agree with most of you on bergkamp

but henry has a fantastic first touch as well. as did shearer

booboo - where the hell did that pimpong thing come from :D

Admitted it was a fluke didn't he?

Either way, for my money the best player the premier league has had the pleasure to host

I wouldn't mind seeing a few flukes like that from players in B & W shirts....!

Rooney's got a cracking touch as well, especially for an Englishman. ;)

Certainly has, i'm sure there was some people on here saying that he didn;t have the technical ability of Kaka etc, was bizarre, it's clearly one of his strengths.