Greatest First Touch In The Premiership Era?

Tooj

Bergkamp is the first thing I thought when I saw this thread.

That goal against Argentina in the 98 World Cup. :smitten:

One of my favourite goals, the mna oozed class, probably the best technical player ive ever seen.

I think the Dutch commentary on that goal said it all.

Bergkamp is the first thing I thought when I saw this thread.

That goal against Argentina in the 98 World Cup. :smitten:

One of my favourite goals, the mna oozed class, probably the best technical player ive ever seen.

I think the Dutch commentary on that goal said it all.

Really funny bit on Fantasy Football one time where they did a mock 'who scored this goal?' quiz then showed that goal with that commentary :lol:

Barry Davies' commentary on that goal is ace. He was streets ahead as a commentator.

Absolutely correct. He was the last decent one the BBC had.

No time for him myself, always came across as a pompous twat IMO, summed up the BBC.

re bergkamp, tho he had an exceptional ability to take the ball down and manipulate it to his advantage - in other words to place the ball perfectly for his next touch or move - a lot of that ability was also down to his impeccable balance and how he used his body to protect possession and shape space. for instance taking down the ball for the leicester goal, it's still bouncing up and around from his foot, just he is manipulating the ball and using his body to use this bounce to his advantage. babatunde has mentioned kanu, and in comparison his actual 'touch' is better in that he can completely kill a ball with any part of the boot, tho perhaps kanu is not good enough to capitalise on that strength to the extent bergkamp could. is all that part of first-touch or does it exclusively refer to the ball hitting the boot?

saying that, moving from first touch to overall control, you never saw kanu (or bergkamp) run at top speed and still keeping the ball struck to their foot like a george best or ronaldo.

Paulo di Canio's first touch was pretty spectacular.

Especially the one on Paul Alcock. :D

:(

:lol:

That fall was a work of genius.

Should've booked himself for diving.

Assaults on match officials are no laughing matter, of course  :knuppel2:

tho he's not on the level of some mentioned, shearer's first touch and control was always under-rated, you never saw him lose the ball with a loose touch or misstep. very rarely misplaced passes either.

That's a good shout. He was a goalscorer but a very good player too.

tho he's not on the level of some mentioned, shearer's first touch and control was always under-rated, you never saw him lose the ball with a loose touch or misstep. very rarely misplaced passes either.

That's a good shout. He was a goalscorer but a very good player too.

Best crosser the Prem has ever seen. ;)