A Defining Moment That Not Just Changed A Career, But Also English Football....

Tooj

Guest Knightrider

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2372/39643187tackle203xu5.jpg

Hardly. His career aye, but English football?

Can you not imagine the difference having a player of that class and ability playing for England for the next decade could have done?

Probably Keegans "LOVE IT, LOVE IT" moment. Threw away the league at that point, was never the same either.

:lol:

Did making a speech when we were behind on points with one game left really throw the league away?

It was during the 1995-96 season at Newcastle that Keegan had his famous rant on Sky Sports. Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson (famous for playing psychological games with opponents) had suggested that teams tried harder against Man Utd than Newcastle. After Newcastle's hard fought victory over Leeds United in their next match, an emotional Keegan was interviewed on Sky Sports. Clearly fired up and fuming, Keegan said:

"When you do that with footballers like he said about Leeds; and when you do things like that about a man like Stuart Pearce. I'm I, I, I've kept really quiet, but I'll tell you something: he went down in my estimation when he said that - we have not resorted to that. But I'll tell ya - you can tell him now, he'll be watching it - we're still fighting for this title, and he's got to go to Middlesbrough and get something, and... and I'll tell you honestly, I will love it if we beat them - LOVE IT!."

This rant came as Newcastle's previous 12-point lead at the top of the Premiership had been eroded. By then Man Utd had already got into a better position, and they won the title that season.

I thought it was one... didn't he say "They still have to go to Middlesbrough and get something" which was their las game wasn't it?

Keegan was after Leeds wasn't it?

If I'm right in that then we went to Forest (drew) then had the potatoes at home (drew)

Yeah because one of his points was about Ferguson objecting to us playing Nottingham Forest on the Thursday, because we were involved in a testimonial for Stuart Pearce (?) at some stage, I think.

I thought it was one... didn't he say "They still have to go to Middlesbrough and get something" which was their las game wasn't it?

If I'm right in that then we went to Forest (drew) then had the potatoes at home (drew)

Yeah because one of his points was about Ferguson objecting to us playing Nottingham Forest on the Thursday, because we were involved in a testimonial for Stuart Pearce (?) at some stage, I think.

Ian Woan.  :weep:

If we had held on for a point at Blackburn then beat Forest and Spurs we would have won the league.

Or if we had drawn with ManU then beaten one of Forest or Spurs.

So fecking close, essentially 2 goals would have won it for us.

If we had held on for a point at Blackburn then beat Forest and Spurs we would have won the league.

Beating Man United at SJP would have won it.

Beating Man United at SJP would have won it.

still 2 goals! just another mix in the pot.

Guest Knightrider

Can you not imagine the difference having a player of that class and ability playing for England for the next decade could have done?

Aye, we would have still fallen short at the last hurdle, and on pens too.

Ridiculous to claim Gazza's injury was a defining moment in English football.

Aye, we would have still fallen short at the last hurdle, and on pens too.

Ridiculous to claim Gazza's injury was a defining moment in English football.

When possibly the most talented player the country has produced has an injury that he never recovers from, yes I can see how it would be ridiculous to claim that.