Stoke City 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 06/01/08 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

Regarding Owen and Viduka, when they were on the ball, I think both did very well, particularly in the first 20 mins when we played on the deck. Both can pass the ball and link up with the midfielders especially Duff. Unfortunately, we couldn't get them on the ball enough. Like Shearer pre-Robson, Owen tries to help out too much on the flanks in my opinion. I would like to see him curtail his game and concentrate on staying in the centre.

I thought though that only Duff linked up particularly well with our forwards. N'Zogbia did ok arriving late at times, but I thought he was pretty poor and without direction at times as well. When LuaLua came on, he looked like N'Zogbia before last season and showed what we have missed from old Zoggy or even Dyer. N'Zogbia just doesn't look like he is going to consistently match the potential he showed in the 05/06 season.

Smith and Butt were both poor, but to be fair to Butt, he covered a lot of ground, did makesome important interceptions, and at least tried to do something going forward. In the first 30, Butt also passed the ball forwards well, and that was when Viduka, Owen, and N'Zogbia looked much better. Then this stopped, he became dogged, and our performance fell.

Faye and Taylor were good. Whatever people say about Taylor, he saved our bacon twice today and should be applauded. I'd say Taylor is world class at blocking shots, shame the rest of him isn't at that level.

Rozehnal looked poor again.

Enrique did Ok, but there was an absolutely infuriating moment at 85 minutes when Owen, Viduka, Smith and N'Zogbia were all well forward the ball was 35 yards out, and Enrique ducks out of a tackle in which he had the advantage. Win that tackle, and we would have been in our most advantageous position of the second half.

This Alan Smith problem is a big one for us. If we were playing a 4-3-3 with him as one of a three, with Butt and a more creative type then it wouldn't have been a big deal.

A 4-4-2 just makes the problem so much worse though.

Again though, I still think the situation could be improved if we had a striker who dropped of deeper more often and demanded the ball (e.g. Benn Mccarthy) from both Butt and Smith, but we lack this type of player too.

Our team is just a mess of players who don't fit with each other and it is really disheartening. What we need is for Sam to realise this asap. I am worried that he actually has too much fatih in these players who are mostly past it in my opinion.

A good question, no doubt, but we can't be sure that he wasn't.

I know he's losing a lot of us at the minute because of numerous reasons, but surely a bloke with his reputation and standing as a player and manager in this game could see the same as what we see?

It's stuff like this that fucks me off more than anything, not having anything truly concrete to finger the blame on people so that we can FINALLY zap the right man. We need something more set in stone than the constant scapegoats. We've gone through umpteen players, numerous managers and we got shot of the previous owners... how much more can we realistically change?

Good points.

Did enough in the circumstances, we were not great but nobody should have expected that. Keeping a clean sheet was important.

We should have enough to turn them over at home.

Anyone notice Steve Simonsen's hair? Last time I saw him he looked like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Sparkynufc/sim.jpg

I know he's losing a lot of us at the minute because of numerous reasons, but surely a bloke with his reputation and standing as a player and manager in this game could see the same as what we see?

It's stuff like this that fucks me off more than anything, not having anything truly concrete to finger the blame on people so that we can FINALLY zap the right man. We need something more set in stone than the constant scapegoats. We've gone through umpteen players, numerous managers and we got shot of the previous owners... how much more can we realistically change?

Good points.

As if you got rid of my quote. :lol:

That's fucking favouritism.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce, however, felt his side deserved to win, despite being put under pressure for much of the second half.

He said: The rain made life awkward, but we controlled the game well and just couldn't find the goal.

"I'm disappointed over the 90 minutes not to have won but it's a very good draw and we will try to finish the job at St James' Park.

"We dealt with their size and strength very well and but for 15 minutes they didn't cause us too many problems.

"Overall it was a satisfying performance. We should have broken them down better than we did, but still had many chances to win it."

I know its all about opinion on here but how people rated duff a 7 i will never know. Zog was just about a 7 imo, he beat people, worked his arse off won free kicks and had a few shots. Duff didn't create anything or have a shot that i can remember. can someone explain this?

Agreed but to be fair he's had a horrendous injury so did well under those circumstances.

Given - 8.5 - Kept us in the tie and marshalled the back four as well as he could. Some world class saves.

Rozehnal - 8 - left exposed too often by Taylor though was able to guide the back four through constant Stoke attacking.

Taylor - 2 - Very poor.  At fault for the Stoke goal that was ruled out for offside. Lucky not to have been sent off.

Faye - 3 - Liability. Poor show all round. Bottled several tackles and Stoke's small front men and lack of aerial power still managed to cause Faye problems. Awful.

Enrique - 8.5 - Class. Composed and comfortable on the ball. Looks as though he's played in the Premiership all of his life. Pacey.

Duff - 2 - Obviously still not fit following recent long term injury and this showed having to be hauled off at half-time. At least 3 yards slower now than 12 months ago.

Butt - 8 - Another player who held it together for the Mag's today. Tackled all day and got into some fantastic shooting positions. Let down by team mates inability to pass to him when in goalscoring positions.

Smith - 8 - Played well but why did Sam take him off? Maybe he is listening to the fans who are seemingly unhappy with a player who has played consistently well this season?  Toon lost without him.

N'Zogbia - 3.5 - Headless chicken really. Uncomfortable on the ball. Gave far to much possesion away. Certainly top of my 'for sale' list.

Owen - 7.5 - Looking sharp and back to full fitness. Maybe gained a yard since injury. Service to him much better and is regaining his prowess in front of goal.

Viduka - 8 - Complimented Owen's running of the ball so well. Terrific lay of for the Owen shot that hit the bar.  A lethal partnership being forged.

Verdict - Good show by the majority and we are still in the hat! Yeah!!

Good points.

As if you got rid of my quote. :lol:

That's fucking favouritism.

Think he meant the good points came in the areas that weren't directly pertaining to your original post, Sonny Jim.

:laugh:

Guest microbar

Lets just look forward to playing Sunderland in the championship next season.

Because we are only going to be relegated under fat sam.

Thanks sam.

Guest neesy111

when will our next win come, probably next season the way things are going

1 goal in our last 4 games

2 wins in 13 games

simply not good enough and this is relegation form

Given - 8.5 - Kept us in the tie and marshalled the back four as well as he could. Some world class saves.

Rozehnal - 8 - left exposed too often by Taylor though was able to guide the back four through constant Stoke attacking.

Taylor - 2 - Very poor.  At fault for the Stoke goal that was ruled out for offside. Lucky not to have been sent off.

Faye - 3 - Liability. Poor show all round. Bottled several tackles and Stoke's small front men and lack of aerial power still managed to cause Faye problems. Awful.

Enrique - 8.5 - Class. Composed and comfortable on the ball. Looks as though he's played in the Premiership all of his life. Pacey.

Duff - 2 - Obviously still not fit following recent long term injury and this showed having to be hauled off at half-time. At least 3 yards slower now than 12 months ago.

Butt - 8 - Another player who held it together for the Mag's today. Tackled all day and got into some fantastic shooting positions. Let down by team mates inability to pass to him when in goalscoring positions.

Smith - 8 - Played well but why did Sam take him off? Maybe he is listening to the fans who are seemingly unhappy with a player who has played consistently well this season?  Toon lost without him.

N'Zogbia - 3.5 - Headless chicken really. Uncomfortable on the ball. Gave far to much possesion away. Certainly top of my 'for sale' list.

Owen - 7.5 - Looking sharp and back to full fitness. Maybe gained a yard since injury. Service to him much better and is regaining his prowess in front of goal.

Viduka - 8 - Complimented Owen's running of the ball so well. Terrific lay of for the Owen shot that hit the bar.  A lethal partnership being forged.

Go back to General Chat where you're safe.

Make me.

I thought Rozehnal looked really poor, shaky and uncertain most of the time, I don't know if that can be safely blamed on Taylor (who I also thought was poor), though.

Hang on .... Smith 8?

On a general point, I actually thought you looked pretty good in the first half. Fuck knows what he said in his half time chat, though. "Switch off" by the looks of it.

Make me.

bluelaugh.gif

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce, however, felt his side deserved to win, despite being put under pressure for much of the second half.

He said: The rain made life awkward, but we controlled the game well and just couldn't find the goal.

"I'm disappointed over the 90 minutes not to have won but it's a very good draw and we will try to finish the job at St James' Park.

"We dealt with their size and strength very well and but for 15 minutes they didn't cause us too many problems.

"Overall it was a satisfying performance. We should have broken them down better than we did, but still had many chances to win it."

What fucking planet is this man living on coming out with that shite!???

What f****** planet is this man living on coming out with that s****!???

Erm, the same planet as me by the sounds of things.

I thought Rozehnal looked really poor, shaky and uncertain most of the time, I don't know if that can be safely blamed on Taylor (who I also thought was poor), though.

Hang on .... Smith 8?

On a general point, I actually thought you looked pretty good in the first half. Fuck knows what he said in his half time chat, though. "Switch off" by the looks of it.

:lol: The confusement.

Hang on .... Smith 8?

Aye Brum, Jay-Jay isn't being exactly serious... he's reprising the old Andy faux-player ratings brilliance.

Hang on .... Smith 8?

:lol: