Stoke City 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 06/01/08 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

for me the damning fact is that you couldn't tell which team was a struggling Championship team bought for washers and which was a a very expensive PL side

Too many long clearances, very little accurate passing, a dreadful left back, no-one picking up attackers at corners

Sam has had 6 months and we are actually WORSE in some ways than we were under Roeder - he had the excuse that all he had to hand was bairns

Given - 8 - thank fuck we have him

Rozenhal - 4 - not a good player, certainly not a good RB

Taylor - 8 - our best defender by a mile.

Faye - 5 - some good moments, some fucking awful ones. The Taylor-bashers will make up that he was better. He wasn't.

Enrique - 5 - caught out far too much.

N'Zogbia - 6 - does he need practice in playing in his actual position?

Smith - 2 - shit. Not a forward, not a defender, not a "squad player". Just shit.

Butt - 5 - at least he was prepared to have a pop.

Duff - 3 - Fuck off.

Owen - 4 - rusty as hell, but worryingly, this seemed to be mental as well as physical.

Viduka - 3 - a "must have" signing? Was he fuck. Fat and lazy, like we knew he was when he played for the Beasts.

Manager - 2 - He's really not very good, simple as that.

Given - 6

Rozenhal - 5

Taylor - 6

Faye - 8. MOM.

Jose Enrique - 7.

Butt - 4.

Smith - 0.

Duff - 5.

N'Zogbia - 6.

Viduka - 5.

Owen - 5.

Subs.

Lua Lua - 5.

Carroll - s/c.

I thought that Faye was outstanding, Alan Smith had no impact on the game whatsoever, apart from giving away one of his trademark free kicks on the edge of our box. Nothing wrong with the result either. If that match had come anytime during the last 3 seasons we would have been steamrollered out of it.

you couldn't tell which team was a struggling Championship team

are they not 4th and unbeaten in 10 games? i agree there was little diffrence in the sides however

Guest johnson293

Smith gave us sweet FA in the middle of the park.  Should have moved him up front with Owen as Viduka was not going to do any running what so ever.

We need players in ASAP.

Agree with that - even carroll showed more movement & ability to win headers in his 5 minutes than Viduka did all game.

I was watching it with my boss who's a Stoke fan and he was gutted that they didn't win. I thought Newcastle were poor - apart form Viduka's early turn and shot, and the chance that Owen was too small for (!) I can't remember Newcastle having any other chances inside the box which is poor against a lower league team. Smith was anonymous except for when he was mouthing off over the ref's decisions and as for Enrique - his distribution was appalling.

It seems you have no-one with a real drive or desire to win - I thought Butt played well (apart form his shooting) but no-one else seemed bothered. The replay could be tricky as Stoke proved they can attack at pace on the break and surely you will have to attack more than yesterday giving them more opportunities.

This is from a friend who is a spurs fan.  Sad but fair analysis(

for me the damning fact is that you couldn't tell which team was a struggling Championship team bought for washers and which was a a very expensive PL side

You talking about the Luton game? Stoke are hardly struggling in the championship.

Luton arent even in the championship.  :laugh2:

But yeah, Stoke are full of confidence and 10 times better than the Derby side who have taken 4 points off us this season.

I was watching it with my boss who's a Stoke fan and he was gutted that they didn't win. I thought Newcastle were poor - apart form Viduka's early turn and shot, and the chance that Owen was too small for (!) I can't remember Newcastle having any other chances inside the box which is poor against a lower league team. Smith was anonymous except for when he was mouthing off over the ref's decisions and as for Enrique - his distribution was appalling.

It seems you have no-one with a real drive or desire to win - I thought Butt played well (apart form his shooting) but no-one else seemed bothered. The replay could be tricky as Stoke proved they can attack at pace on the break and surely you will have to attack more than yesterday giving them more opportunities.

Not really worth a new thread, everyone knows we were shit.

Not really worth a new thread, everyone knows we were shit.

And that Enrique's distribution is rubbish. ;)

Given - 8 - thank f*** we have him

Faye - 5 - some good moments, some f****** awful ones. The Taylor-bashers will make up that he was better. He wasn't.

Smith - 2 - s***. Not a forward, not a defender, not a "squad player". Just s***.

Duff - 3 - f*** off.

Owen - 4 - rusty as hell, but worryingly, this seemed to be mental as well as physical.

Viduka - 3 - a "must have" signing? Was he f***. Fat and lazy, like we knew he was when he played for the Beasts.

Taylor 8? Are you taking the mick? jesus

Given - 8 - thank f*** we have him

Faye - 5 - some good moments, some f****** awful ones. The Taylor-bashers will make up that he was better. He wasn't.

Smith - 2 - s***. Not a forward, not a defender, not a "squad player". Just s***.

Duff - 3 - f*** off.

Viduka - 3 - a "must have" signing? Was he f***. Fat and lazy, like we knew he was when he played for the Beasts.

Taylor 8? Are you taking the mick? jesus

Even the clearance off the line was needed as a direct result of his own fuck up.

I honestly dont know how much s**te can the team be.The performance was bad apart from one or two players such as Faye and N'zogbia but the rest was rubbish.We didnt had much opportunities at all and were lucky not to lose the game.I was surprised actually that our fans gave a standing ovation for the players after the match because I thought it was unnecessary for such a performance.We played like a group of donkeys.Rozehnal was terrible going forward,maybe because he is not a right back,so he may be forgiven,Nicky Butt should stick at what he does best,thats it defending in the centre of the midfield and Smith,I did not realise that he was even playing in the midfield.But Ive got to say Faye was outstanding once again and Lua Lua impressed me when he came on,other than that,there wasnt many positives from the game.So its a replay,hopefully we can get rid of them,if we lose to them at home,that would even be a bigger embarrasement.

Pretty much bang on!