Owen's Left Foot.

Crumpy Gunt

That ball over the top from Viduka (I think) gave Owen a beauty of a chance - but Owen allowed the ball to cross his body and ultimately let the 'keeper make the easiest of saves.

Fuck me!

Surely at the level Owen plays at he should be able to make better choice than let the ball cross his body to play on his 'favoured' foot when the ball arrives perfectly on his other foot. It's a problem as far as I can see that he has made no effort whatsoever to try and correct.

Quite simply he missed our best goal scoring opportunity yesterday.

Just like Martin's right foot.

Martins both feet you mean?

Nothing wrong with Martins feet.  It's his brain that's the swinger.

i went to a talk in with beardsley once.

slated owen as being technically shit when kk had him with england, his left foot came in for particular criticism.

claimed that in training if they were doing an exercise that was difficulat technically owen would be at the back of the queue trying to dodge it.

basically said he was all pace and nowt else.

i went to a talk in with beardsley once.

slated owen as being technically shit when kk had him with england, his left foot came in for particular criticism.

claimed that in training if they were doing an exercise that was difficulat technically owen would be at the back of the queue trying to dodge it.

basically said he was all pace and nowt else.

So now without the pace......

He can still finish like.

Guest rebel_yell12

A talk in, based on the Keegan era from 1999/2000?  Owen's game hasn't changed an ounce since then, has it?  He's not improved at all since.

Actually, I remember seeing an article that discussed just this thing, the criticism that Owen only ever uses his right foot.  I can't find the article, but it's simply no longer true, statistically.  However, in matches like yesterday, when he looks a bit rusty and even perhaps nervous (first 90 min. after another injury layoff) he does tend to rely on his right.  Not all that remarkable really, as I tend to prefer to do things with MY right hand when I need to really do them well.  It's an ingrained habit, one that he has worked on but not entirely conquered. 

I do find it problematic to use anything from the Keegan era to judge Owen, even if it's not directly Keegan's opinion.  Everything I've read about Keegan's "reign" as England manager mentions that he (Keegan) slated Owen for absolutely everything he did.  If the lad (he was then just 19/20) was "dodging" anything it may well have been the dressing-down he got after nearly every training session and match -- apparently in front of the entire squad.  I was unimpressed with everything under Keegan (for England) and that makes me suspicious of anything that came out of that period. 

That said, Owen's left foot was virtually non-existant until about 2001.  But you may want to ask Arsenal about his left footed shots.  And Argentina about his headers.  I don't think he's as exclusively right-footed as he used to be (shock, he improved himself after the age of 20).

A talk in, based on the Keegan era from 1999/2000?  Owen's game hasn't changed an ounce since then, has it?  He's not improved at all since.

Actually, I remember seeing an article that discussed just this thing, the criticism that Owen only ever uses his right foot.  I can't find the article, but it's simply no longer true, statistically.  However, in matches like yesterday, when he looks a bit rusty and even perhaps nervous (first 90 min. after another injury layoff) he does tend to rely on his right.  Not all that remarkable really, as I tend to prefer to do things with MY right hand when I need to really do them well.  It's an ingrained habit, one that he has worked on but not entirely conquered. 

I do find it problematic to use anything from the Keegan era to judge Owen, even if it's not directly Keegan's opinion.  Everything I've read about Keegan's "reign" as England manager mentions that he (Keegan) slated Owen for absolutely everything he did.  If the lad (he was then just 19/20) was "dodging" anything it may well have been the dressing-down he got after nearly every training session and match -- apparently in front of the entire squad.  I was unimpressed with everything under Keegan (for England) and that makes me suspicious of anything that came out of that period. 

That said, Owen's left foot was virtually non-existant until about 2001.  But you may want to ask Arsenal about his left footed shots.  And Argentina about his headers.  I don't think he's as exclusively right-footed as he used to be (shock, he improved himself after the age of 20).

good post

I thought near the end yesterday when he cuts inside on the edge of the box he was shaping to shoot (with his right)...Passed to Kazenga instead who to my horror...Rolls it to Nicky ''the rugby'' Butt who balooned it. A couple of years ago Owen would have taken the shot I'm certain.

I thought near the end yesterday when he cuts inside on the edge of the box he was shaping to shoot (with his right)...Passed to Kazenga instead who to my horror...Rolls it to Nicky ''the rugby'' Butt who balooned it. A couple of years ago Owen would have taken the shot I'm certain.

Its worrying when one of our forwards has the ball on the edge of the box and would rather a midfielder took the shot.

Its worrying when one of our forwards has the ball on the edge of the box and would rather a midfielder took the shot.

Not that unusual for Owen though.  I can't think of too many occasions when he'll shoot from outside the area never mind score as that's just not his game.  He's the sort of striker that tends to go for placement rather than power and maybe from range he hasn't got the necessary ammo to beat a keeper.

Yup ... I remember that. I was gobsmacked because he had actually managed to create the space to let fly with a shot.

It really is disturbing how limited he is at the moment.

Yup ... I remember that. I was gobsmacked because he had actually managed to create the space to let fly with a shot.

Sounds mental for someone with his record, but is it so unbelievable that he's a bit short of confidence at the moment? All the injuries, his team doing shite, the pressure of coming back firing - all must be weighing down on him.

No making excuses for him, he just looks that way to me.

Sounds mental for someone with his record, but is it so unbelievable that he's a bit short of confidence at the moment? All the injuries, his team doing shite, the pressure of coming back firing - all must be weighing down on him.

No making excuses for him, he just looks that way to me.

Agree.