Lassana Diarra joins Portsmouth

Guest Guinness

Redknapp Wants A New Striker

Despite putting three past Derby County at the weekend, Portsmouth need more firepower up front, at least according to manager Harry Redknapp...

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is eager to add a new forward to his side before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

With injuries and the African Cup of Nations looming large, the south coast team could do with some more options up front, says the manager.

"I think the squad needs another frontman, because we are short," Redknapp told The Sun.

"Getting a frontman in is the key it would give us a bit of competition up there. I am looking but they are not easy to find."

Portsmouth have already strengthened in the window, signing Arsenal's Lassana Diarra prior to Saturday's win over Derby.

"He had offers from Newcastle, Aston Villa and Manchester City - all big clubs," continued Redknapp.

"I met him and to be honest if I had gone to Newcastle I think he would have gone there because I got on well with him."

Guest elbee909

He's going to keep going on about it forever.  "That reminds me of the time NEWCASTLE offered me that big job.  If I'd gone there they'd be great by now."

• 10 months later...