Newcastle linked with Geromel

robbo_11

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/01/08/Prem-Newcastle-linked-with-Geromel/

Newcastle are believed to have jumped into the race for Guimaraes' Brazilian defender Geromel.

The 22-year-old has won many admirers with his efforts for Guimaraes in the Portuguese league and is believed to have attracted attention from Bolton and two Russian clubs.

However, it is believed a Newcastle scout returned to Tyneside with a glowing report on the Brazilian.

Scouts have been posted at games against Belenenses and Porto and Geromel has already expressed a desire to move to England.

Guimaraes are aware of the interest in their player and are believed to have slapped a €4 million (£2.5m) price tag on his head.

Geromel has claimed he would prefer to remain in Portugal until the summer, but the indications are that Guimaraes would cash-in should a club match their demands.

Possibly another defender being brought in. Although from this article http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3026215,00.html its more likely he will move in June or would prefer to move then and we may face some competition from Bolton.

http://infordesporto.sapo.pt/Informacao/Modalidades/Futebol/noticiafutebol_futvguigeromelpretendido_080108_455624.asp this looks like the source of the story coming from "O jogo", although the only thing I can make out is "a concrete proposal" and the title "Newcastle want Geromel".

I've never heard of him to be honest but looking on wikipedia he's listed as a centre back and "regarded as one of the best defenders in portugal"

Can anyone who's seen him play give their opinions on him please?

Hmmm ... Taylor on the way out?

Or the club actually trying to build a pool of young talanet, with a sprinkling of experience?

I thought Taylor would be away.

Demanding £50,000 a week or something isn't he?

He's off his tits if so.

Hmmm ... Taylor on the way out?

Or the club actually trying to build a pool of young talanet, with a sprinkling of experience?

That's what I thought at first but with the number of centre backs we currently have, why would we bring in a 22 year old? If it was a youngster you wanted to develop wouldn't we go for someone around 18 years old like Tozer?

Maybe Roz or Cacapa might be let go or something, if not Taylor.

Coaching staff: Defensive minded

New Players: Defenders

Future: :(

Not that I like to watch defensive football - but isn't that where we need to improve first up?  Get it right in defence first and then think about attacking? or am I just too conservative? ???

Not that I like to watch defensive football - but isn't that where we need to improve first up?  Get it right in defence first and then think about attacking? or am I just too conservative? ???

You need to be taken out back and a high calibre gun taken to your head and be put out of your misery.  blueyes.gif

:-)

You need to be taken out back and a high calibre gun taken to your head and be put out of your misery.  blueyes.gif

:laugh:  Spot on.

We had it right in defense, Allardyce has dragged our defense downhill.

:laugh:  Spot on.

We had it right in defense, Allardyce has dragged our defense downhill.

Under Roeder? or Souness?  :cheesy: