Mark Hughes

James

TBF being Welsh ive seen quite a bit of Hughes before he moved to Blackburn and he did an amazing job. He has done a good job at Blackburn, he ticks most boxes but im not sure tactically. Personally im hoping for someone better but we could do a lot worse than Hughes.

TBF being Welsh ive seen quite a bit of Hughes before he moved to Blackburn and he did an amazing job. He has done a good job at Blackburn, he ticks most boxes but im not sure tactically. Personally im hoping for someone better but we could do a lot worse than Hughes.

Totally agree with this. Except for the being Welsh bit.

Interesting opinion piece on f365, show's reasons for and against. My biggest reason against would be that if he was successful there's every chance he would leave us for the Mancs, which would hack me off no end.

Mark Hughes

Pressed on whether he was interested in filling the managerial vacancy at St James' Park, Hughes' non-denial denial on Sky Sports before Blackburn Rovers' victory at Bolton said everything.

Swapping the steady stability of Blackburn for the irrational instability of Newcastle United would constitute a gamble but it is one that Hughes must take if he is to fulfil his ultimate ambition in management.

The 'push' in any decision to leave Blackburn would be the understandable conclusion that he has taken the club as far as he can. The last two months have been disillusioning with a sudden slump occurring immediately after the Welshman declared a top-four finish was "realistic". With an average attendance of just 23,000, Blackburn are punching above their weight even in mid-table.

Newcastle's most attractive attribute is that they are at rock bottom. The only way is up - especially now that billionaire Mike Ashley has pledged to provide the finances to instigate a meaningful revival. And it is only by proving that he can spend substantial funds wisely - something he will never have the opportunity to do at Ewood Park unless Jack Walker is reincarnated - that Hughes can state his case for succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Moving from Blackburn into the Old Trafford hotseat would be a mammoth leap that the club's plc hierarchy is unlikely to sanction. Newcastle, on the other hand, with its 'big club status' and 50,000 gates, represents a natural stepping-stone in Hughes' career path towards his desired destination.

The risk for Hughes would be to not accept the opportunity because - with Martin O'Neill and David Moyes settled at Aston Villa and Everton respectively, and Juande Ramos and Sven-Goran Eriksson settling in at Tottenham and Manchester City - few other comparative stepping-stones are likely to become available in the near future.

In that sense, staying at Blackburn would be stepping backwards.

Excellent article.

You think if the second tier managers achieved great success they wouldn't move to a top, top club?

Wouldn't mind if he pissed off to Manure because that would mean we were successful.

Interesting opinion piece on f365, show's reasons for and against. My biggest reason against would be that if he was successful there's every chance he would leave us for the Mancs, which would hack me off no end.

Mark Hughes

Pressed on whether he was interested in filling the managerial vacancy at St James' Park, Hughes' non-denial denial on Sky Sports before Blackburn Rovers' victory at Bolton said everything.

Swapping the steady stability of Blackburn for the irrational instability of Newcastle United would constitute a gamble but it is one that Hughes must take if he is to fulfil his ultimate ambition in management.

The 'push' in any decision to leave Blackburn would be the understandable conclusion that he has taken the club as far as he can. The last two months have been disillusioning with a sudden slump occurring immediately after the Welshman declared a top-four finish was "realistic". With an average attendance of just 23,000, Blackburn are punching above their weight even in mid-table.

Newcastle's most attractive attribute is that they are at rock bottom. The only way is up - especially now that billionaire Mike Ashley has pledged to provide the finances to instigate a meaningful revival. And it is only by proving that he can spend substantial funds wisely - something he will never have the opportunity to do at Ewood Park unless Jack Walker is reincarnated - that Hughes can state his case for succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Moving from Blackburn into the Old Trafford hotseat would be a mammoth leap that the club's plc hierarchy is unlikely to sanction. Newcastle, on the other hand, with its 'big club status' and 50,000 gates, represents a natural stepping-stone in Hughes' career path towards his desired destination.

The risk for Hughes would be to not accept the opportunity because - with Martin O'Neill and David Moyes settled at Aston Villa and Everton respectively, and Juande Ramos and Sven-Goran Eriksson settling in at Tottenham and Manchester City - few other comparative stepping-stones are likely to become available in the near future.

Excellent article.

You think if the second tier managers achieved great success they wouldn't move to a top, top club?

Wouldn't mind if he pissed off to Manure because that would mean we were successful.

Interesting take on it, and agree it's a good article.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Nervous times as Mark Hughes attracts admirers THE TIMES

Bolton 1 Blackburn 2Oliver Kay at the Reebok Stadium

The assurances that Blackburn Rovers supporters were seeking from Mark Hughes were not quite forthcoming last night as he stopped short of ruling himself out of contention for the managerial vacancy at Newcastle United. There are nervous days ahead for Blackburn, but if the 44-year-old is to follow Harry Redknapp’s lead by rejecting the expected overtures from Tyneside, a 90th-minute winning goal from Jason Roberts yesterday could be significant.

A draw at the Reebok Stadium would have left Hughes frustrated, his team having looked by far the likelier winners once Christopher Samba had cancelled out Kevin Nolan’s superb first-half strike, but Roberts’s goal changed his mood dramatically. Suddenly his team, humiliated in the FA Cup by Coventry City eight days earlier, were three points off fourth place in the Barclays Premier League and Hughes was talking up the “good situation” and “continuity” that he enjoys at the club – phrases seldom heard at St James’ Park.

Hughes would not dampen the speculation entirely, saying that “in football you never say never”, but Roberts’s goal left him with a spring in his step. “We’ve picked up ten points from the last 12 to put ourselves right back in the mix [for European qualification],” he said. “If we can get our home form right, we will have a very good finish to the season.”

The outlook at Bolton Wanderers is not so bright, with the sale of Nicolas Anelka followed swiftly by their first home league defeat since Gary Megson took charge in October.

The winning goal did not quite match Nolan’s in terms of quality, but it was a reminder of the talent of Roberts, who looked a likely match-winner yesterday from the moment he replaced Benni McCarthy with 13 minutes remaining. His goal took a deflection off Joey O’Brien, but the pace and power he showed in the build-up was reminiscent of his uncle, Cyrille Regis.

It was a goal that Blackburn deserved, having recovered well after falling behind two minutes before half-time to Nolan’s beautifully struck volley, a goal that Megson felt was as “as good as any you’ll see this season”.

With David Bentley to the fore – no doubt impressing Franco Baldini, who was watching on behalf of Fabio Capello, the new England manager – Blackburn fought their way back into the game, Samba equalising with a free header from Bentley’s corner. It was Roberts, frustrated at his lack of playing time, who had the final say, adding that it was “out of my hands” whether he would stay at the club.

That, like Blackburn’s entire destiny, lies in the hands of Hug

Mark Hughes

Excellent article.

I'm an idealist, i hope our success will include us no longer being classed as second tier :)

Mark Hughes

Excellent article.

I'm an idealist, i hope our success will include us no longer being classed as second tier :)

Aye, but he's a Manc through and through though.

Warming to the idea of Hughes to be honest; certainly over Redknapp, Shearer etc anyway.

I know he's a Manc, but he's young and ambitious, yet has experience at the top level both as a player and manager. He's played with some of the biggest egos in football history and will have learnt from arguably the best manager ever. He even has international experience. I think everyone knows he'll want to end up at Man Utd, but he'd have to do very well somewhere other than Blackburn to be even considered. That F365 article is very convincing.

Warming to the idea of Hughes to be honest; certainly over Redknapp, Shearer etc anyway.

I know he's a Manc, but he's young and ambitious, yet has experience at the top level both as a player and manager. He's played with some of the biggest egos in football history and will have learnt from arguably the best manager ever. He even has international experience. I think everyone knows he'll want to end up at Man Utd, but he'd have to do very well somewhere other than Blackburn to be even considered. That F365 article is very convincing.

There is something very determined and seething about him which I like. Reminds me a bit of Fergie/Cloughie.

Souness.

Souness.

Fair comment. But at least Hughes is getting better with time? :lol:

For me he is my prefered candidate, above all other candidates.  You may say I've gone starkers but I stand by my opinion.  His teams do play with attacking flair, they also have a 'steal' to them I really admire.  You could say that he is a sideways step but he is still young with an excellent record so far and his buys have been almost without fail excellent, especially in the forward department (ok 'the fox in the box' was shit but he got him on a free and sold him for a bit of money).  I feel he geniunely has great potential and could achieve that with us.  Cue abuse and calls for Jose, blah blah blah.

Souness.

Yes because we value time up here at Newcastle don't we?

Souness.

I meant more the fact that everyone in the world (barring a daft balding cunt) knew Souness was shite, getting shitter, and it was going to be a disaster.

Souness.

I meant more the fact that everyone in the world (barring a daft balding cunt) knew Souness was shite, getting shitter, and it was going to be a disaster.

Owen didn't, the daft cunt signed because of him :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Agree

I think he will tick a lot of boxes, young and ambitious, successful in relative terms, respected. I think with a lot of money availible for him he will see this as a chance to really show what he is about. I have no doubt he longs to replace SAF at Old Trafford, but he could get us into a position where we arnt too far off them if he gets 3-4 years. He's not going to get the Man U job if he stays at Blackburn as the article says. Hughes has also showed that he has got a decent scouting network, Samba Congon International 1/2 mil from Hertha, Oijer from holland, McCarthy to name a few.

He has also goth the best out of some tricky characters, Bellamy, Bentley, McCarthy, Savage in his time.

I also think he is actually less of a risk than Van Haal, Hitzfeld or Hiddink at this moment in time. If we were top 4, i would say yes, these 3 could probably push us on, but we need top 6-7 and i fancy Hughes to do this a lot more than i do those 3.

Souness.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9512/trophy11sd0.jpg

:razz:

We could do better than appointing Mark Hughes. But we could do far worse! On overall I'll take Mark Hughes.

However if he comes here, could he please also bring along his chief scout, whoever he is. Santa Cruz, Samba, Bentley, Pederson, Nelson, Warnock etc.

However if I were Mark Hughes, I would stay in Blackburn. Granted I won't have a lot of money to spend, I would have been in Blackburn a few years. I have built the foundation, I have brought in the players I want, I have built a squad of decent talent. Why disrupt this continuity and come to Newcastle? In Newcastle he would not be allowed time to build a team he wants. He would have to make an impact instantly and produce constantly.

Souness.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9512/trophy11sd0.jpg

:razz:

Synical bastard! You're right.

Agree

I think he will tick a lot of boxes, young and ambitious, successful in relative terms, respected. I think with a lot of money availible for him he will see this as a chance to really show what he is about. I have no doubt he longs to replace SAF at Old Trafford, but he could get us into a position where we arnt too far off them if he gets 3-4 years. He's not going to get the Man U job if he stays at Blackburn as the article says. Hughes has also showed that he has got a decent scouting network, Samba Congon International 1/2 mil from Hertha, Oijer from holland, McCarthy to name a few.

He has also goth the best out of some tricky characters, Bellamy, Bentley, McCarthy, Savage in his time.

I also think he is actually less of a risk than Van Haal, Hitzfeld or Hiddink at this moment in time. If we were top 4, i would say yes, these 3 could probably push us on, but we need top 6-7 and i fancy Hughes to do this a lot more than i do those 3.

:thup:

The bit about Bellamy especially stands out. Was he ever in any bother there? Can't remember now, but he was certainly on form for them.

I'm not saying I'd prefer him over a proven winner btw, just saying I can see the positives in this one if it happens.