Mark Hughes

James

I'd be happy with either Redknapp or Hughes.

Why?

Because I'm realistic about what sort of manager would join us, of course I'd prefer the likes of Mourinho or Lippi but the chances of either coming here is pretty slim.

Both play good football that's entertaining to watch, Redknapp especially has a team playing the sort of style I'd enjoy watching every week, with money behind him I think Redknapp could put an excellent team together.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good manager indeed but how could you see the fans after 6 straight goaless home games? 3 for that matter.

I'd be happy with either Redknapp or Hughes.

Why?

Because I'm realistic about what sort of manager would join us, of course I'd prefer the likes of Mourinho or Lippi but the chances of either coming here is pretty slim.

Both play good football that's entertaining to watch, Redknapp especially has a team playing the sort of style I'd enjoy watching every week, with money behind him I think Redknapp could put an excellent team together.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good manager indeed but how could you see the fans after 6 straight goaless home games? 3 for that matter.

I'm sure they won't be happy but there's no saying that would ever happen here, it's a shit, short sighted stat really.

It ain't going to be Hughes or Harry, Ashley will be aiming very much higher..

That would be making the assumption that Ashley and Mort have good knowledge of the game.

They remain unproven, so you can't say how good or bad the appointment is going to be.

That would be making the assumption that Ashley and Mort have good knowledge of the game.

They remain unproven, so you can't say how good or bad the appointment is going to be.

Although I see Ashley as the type to do it his way how about assuming just like anything in business you research and you ask for opinion. Maybe I am being stupid thinking there is a chance Ashley will know who he wants due to him asking the right questions of the right people.

Ashley wouldn't replace Allardyce with Hughes or Redknapp. You don't need to know anything about football to understand that it will cost you alot of money to replace you current manager with one of equal ability; if he wants one of them two, he might as well have kept Sam

Guest The Libertine

wanting and getting are 2 very different things.

Although I see Ashley as the type to do it his way how about assuming just like anything in business you research and you ask for opinion. Maybe I am being stupid thinking there is a chance Ashley will know who he wants due to him asking the right questions of the right people.

Ashley is very much an outsider in the football world. There is no indication that he does know the right people, and even if he know's them, he may not trust them.

The only person we know Ashley to know and trust is Paul Kemsley, who was keen on having Redknapp manage Spurs.

Ashley wouldn't replace Allardyce with Hughes or Redknapp. You don't need to know anything about football to understand that it will cost you alot of money to replace you current manager with one of equal ability; if he wants one of them two, he might as well have kept Sam

Agreed.

And I can't see that it was a snap descision with no back up plan and then start faxing the locals asking the question....Can't see it. Too amateurish.

You could also argue that their limited knowledge of the game will make them say "lets get Mourinho here" rather than thinking "hmmm Hughes sounds alright"

Plus, who's to say they know less than most on here, who all would like the big foreign names.

True James and while Iam not disagreeing seen as I know as much as you do however common sense wise he surely didnt put 200+ million into a club just because he spun a coin or threw a dart at the prem league to pick one so he must have connections as well as any wealthy successful person would. When you own businesses you obviously cannot be an expert at everything about them so you need someone to help in your desicsion making process and seen as its such a fundamentally expense business getting a taken manager or sacking one it needs to be a very well calculated choice.

You could also argue that their limited knowledge of the game will make them say "lets get Mourinho here" rather than thinking "hmmm Hughes sounds alright"

Plus, who's to say they know less than most on here, who all would like the big foreign names.

They would take advice.

has blackburn said anything on this matter yet? pompey and everton allready said that theres no way they will lose their gaffers, but what about blackburn?

(hoping they will keep him, jose or lippi iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!)

has blackburn said anything on this matter yet? pompey and everton allready said that theres no way they will lose their gaffers, but what about blackburn?

(hoping they will keep him, jose or lippi iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!)

Blackburn's chairman says no contact, but has been known in the past to deny things that are actually happenning.

Ashley is very much an outsider in the football world. There is no indication that he does know the right people, and even if he know's them, he may not trust them.

The only person we know Ashley to know and trust is Paul Kemsley, who was keen on having Redknapp manage Spurs.

also knows david dein the former arsenal chief exec. and had dinner with philip green today/yesterday who, while not involved in football, is another spurs fan and regularly flies round europe in his private jet ferrying celebrities to champions league games.

Hughes comes on strong for Newcastle job

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2239103,00.html

Mark Hughes is on Newcastle United's radar and the Blackburn Rovers manager now appears to be rivalling Harry Redknapp as a contender for the vacancy created by Sam Allardyce's sacking on Wednesday. While Redknapp, currently in charge of Portsmouth, remains the bookmakers' favourite, Newcastle's apparent interest in Hughes was described as "a sensitive subject" at Ewood Park yesterday where officials were fearing an approach from the Tyneside club.

By late afternoon, though, none was forthcoming at either Blackburn or Portsmouth, who released a statement on their website stressing that they had received no request for Redknapp's services and would not welcome one. Although Portsmouth's manager also distanced himself from the St James' Park job, saying he had "heard nothing" and was "happy" at Fratton Park, it is understood that overtures have been made and Newcastle informed that they will have to pay at least £1.5m in compensation to remove Redknapp from the south coast.

The fear on Tyneside is that Redknapp, now 60 and never having managed north of London, may be reluctant to leave his luxury Dorset home to try to breathe new life into Newcastle, even if offered a multimillion-pound salary. Equally there are concerns he may use this interest from a rival club to persuade Portsmouth to offer him a more generous transfer window budget and possible salary hike.

Yesterday he said: "I really do not know anything about this. I have not spoken to anyone from Newcastle. When I saw that Sam had left, my immediate thoughts were that Alan Shearer was a certainty to take over. There's nothing in my being linked with this job. I am happy down on the south coast."

With Shearer not under consideration as Newcastle's next manager and Everton ruling out the possibility that David Moyes might exchange Merseyside for Tyneside, it seems that Mike Ashley, Newcastle's owner, is pondering the relative merits of Redknapp and Hughes. Despite Martin Jol's apparent enthusiasm for the job the former Tottenham manager is not thought to be in contention.

Ashley is in Hong Kong on business and his absence may delay any appointment but he and Chris Mort, his chairman, are determined to hire a coach who, like Redknapp and Hughes, believes in attractive, passing football.