Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

Ashley is about to employ a manager he believes in.

The acid test comes with how he backs him, this is how he will pass the first test

so simple. so correct. Why does it take so long for people to understand.

I'd prefer he backed a manager that was significantly better than the one he just sacked. Why does it take so long for people to understand.

Agreed, but nothing is that simple. Dalglish had a track record better than Alex Ferguson at the time, and he flopped.

Sometimes its a matter of the 2 pieces just being right for each other. Does he have the right personality for your club ? Is he good in front of the camera [important to Newcastle this one]. What sort of football does he play [important because its been proven AGAIN that managers who bore the pants off people don't last long when they aren't winning.

I've never like Redknappy for being a cockney tosser etc etc etc but I can see some positives. Wenger has always been my number 1 choice though, and with hindsight although Allardyce had certain qualities that were right for a Newcastle manager, the fact that he couldn't shake off his small time club mentality, and try to play the right type of football that you must play at the high level if you want to succeed at that level, has been his downfall. I think that Redknapp does play this type of football. So it all rests on how much he is backed and how well he uses the money, and yes, how long he is given. But I think if he struggles in his first few months he will get some slack because it may be that we can that he may be on the right lines. Hopefully.

If its Harry, he has my backing, and even a week ago I never thought I would say that about him. But thinking about it now ........

That's the definitive answer for me.

And in answer to the thread title. No way. Parky you may well have just started Worst Thread of 2008. ;)

I'm excited by the prospect of Redknapp's appointment as manager not because I think he's the best man for the job, but for the fact that I don't think he'd come here unless he was given an open cheque book and told to create his dream team in black and white stripes.

Whether he's capable of fullfilling the task is another matter and will only be answered in the fullness of time but I think exciting times are upon us, and I find it staggering the amount of negativity on here at the moment.

Another reason not to want him

Imagine a top class manager and what he would be able to attract??

Ashley is spending his own money so I think it's only right that he employs who he wants to manage the club and spend that money on his behalf. Redknapp's never had such a challenge or opportunity, very few managers ever have, and only time will tell how he fares.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be an exciting ride and I'm really looking forward to it.

This thread has attracted more clowns than I initially anticipated.

Here are some mythbusters (cause I'm in a bad mood).

Ashley doesn't give a fuck about the club it is just another business to him. (That is why he smiles like a gormless cunt with 2 billion in the bank).

He didn't pay off the debt cause he has been infected by some geordie mindmeld but because it is the first step to making the business more attractive.

Alice in wonderland psychobabble about ''it might work because {insert cack here} is just that wishful thinking.

IF it is Nappy that is a serious wrong signal it means he doesn't want a demanding manager and it might also be an indication why partly SA got the boot.

I know it's depressing but just think how much prettier the sky would look if we were actually looking to snare/did snare a top class manager like Sven.

This is a fiasco no doubts about it. I would forgive all of it if a top class manager is unveiled next week.

I like all of us live in hope.

What exactly is the driving force behind this farce?

Please help me

It was getting worse & there is no way the fixtures coming up things were going to improve. I wouldnt of wanted a season ticket next season if he was in he had of remained in charge. They have done Sam a favor mentally & financially be getting rid of him now. I think from a distance the stat/textbook/mega backroom managers like Boothroyd,Pardew, Phil Parkinson & Allardyce look good & tick load of boxes  that a modern manager should be but in reality they are s****. I am going back to prefering old skool managers who have an eye for a player & are not arsed about baggage blokes like  Keegan,Robson,Fergie & yes a REDKNAPP!!!! They will do for me.

Ashley doesn't give a f*** about the club it is just another business to him. (That is why he smiles like a gormless c*** with 2 billion in the bank).

He didn't pay off the debt cause he has been infected by some geordie mindmeld but because it is the first step to making the business more attractive.

Alice in wonderland psychobabble about ''it might work because {insert cack here} is just that wishful thinking.

IF it is Nappy that is a serious wrong signal it means he doesn't want a demanding manager and it might also be an indication why partly SA got the boot.

I know it's depressing but just think how much prettier the sky would look if we were actually looking to snare/did snare a top class manager like Sven.

This is a fiasco no doubts about it. I would forgive all of it if a top class manager is unveiled next week.

Parky, what are your thoughts on Didier Deschamps?

What exactly is the driving force behind this farce?

Please help me

It was getting worse & there is no way the fixtures coming up things were going to improve. I wouldnt of wanted a season ticket next season if he was in he had of remained in charge. They have done Sam a favor mentally & financially be getting rid of him now. I think from a distance the stat/textbook/mega backroom managers like Boothroyd,Pardew, Phil Parkinson & Allardyce look good & tick load of boxes  that a modern manager should be but in reality they are s****. I am going back to prefering old skool managers who have an eye for a player & are not arsed about baggage blokes like  Keegan,Robson,Fergie & yes a REDKNAPP!!!! They will do for me.

You are in the final stages of denial.

Fancy a welk? mackems.gif

Ashley doesn't give a f*** about the club it is just another business to him. (That is why he smiles like a gormless c*** with 2 billion in the bank).

I like all of us live in hope

You dont seem your usually bouncy wum self today. Is it because Klinsibaby is going back to the Fatherland rather than Geordieland. If this board had a group hug smiley it would be HERE for you Parky

Guest Asprilla

:clap:

You are in the final stages of denial

Are you saying it wasn't getting worse? He had lost the players at Wigan with his quotes, he never really had the fans fully but I think people were willing to back him if they could see hope, he did well to last  239 days.

On another level to Nappy by any measure. Did well at Monaco iirc.

World class player with a world class mind.

Has what it takes to be as good as anyone in management.

If he fancies it I would walk to Paris to get him.

Er... if it's too early to declare Allardyce a failure, it's WAY too early to declare his replacement a failure.

I bet you're pleased with that little turn of phrase.

However it will make no differance if we hire an average manager.

I didn't see much of his Monaco team, what kind of football did they play?

Deschamps might be a dark horse. He was touting himself about for a premier league job just after Christmas ... said he would most want to work here because of the total control managers are given. He also played here and so is familiar with the environment.

I know Klinsmann didn't work out but we can keep dreaming right?

Keep your head up son  O0

I didn't see much of his Monaco team, what kind of football did they play?

Deschamps might be a dark horse. He was touting himself about for a premier league job just after Christmas ... said he would most want to work here because of the total control managers are given. He also played here and so is familiar with the environment.

I know Klinsmann didn't work out but we can keep dreaming right?

Keep your head up son  O0

:thup:

Haven't seen much of Monaco bar highlights. I would say Deschamps from what I've read when Chelsea were interested in him was that he wasn't as defensive as Mourinho and was for this reason in the running.

He ticks the boxes for me though. Good international pedigree, has had one job already at a top club where he was relatively succesful and hung in at Juve till the internal squabbling got him. Should have good contacts in the French and Italian leagues and as you say has tasted life in the PL.

Here off the Pompey board:

Posted by nodge75 on 11 Jan 2008 14:56  Complain | Reply 

re: re: re: re: Newcastle Football Club.... ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''Whats unrealistic about wanting Champions League football?

It's not as if we've never had it. Or haven't got the money ffs!

Newcastle has had 4 seasons in the CL in the last 11 years, have finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Premiership, and played in the UEFA cup several times as well.

So what would you expect if your team had done all that over the last 10 years? Mid table mediocrity? Yeah, of course you would mate.

Most people don;t want Harry because he's never won f uck all. To win something, surely you have a better chance if the manager you have has done it all before? Quite simple really. How this all translates to arrogance is beyond me. You could argue that our expectations are a little high (we only expect, given our squad, to play decent football and probably a top half finish), but to me it would be pointless treading water by employing a man who has no real chance of winning anything at the club.

Good luck with your season anyway guys. Your having a blinder by the looks, and i hope you keep hold of Harry - he's doing a great job with you's. ''

Here off the Pompey board:

Posted by nodge75 on 11 Jan 2008 14:56  Complain | Reply 

re: re: re: re: Newcastle Football Club.... ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''Whats unrealistic about wanting Champions League football?

It's not as if we've never had it. Or haven't got the money ffs!

Newcastle has had 4 seasons in the CL in the last 11 years, have finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Premiership, and played in the UEFA cup several times as well.

So what would you expect if your team had done all that over the last 10 years? Mid table mediocrity? Yeah, of course you would mate.

Most people don;t want Harry because he's never won f uck all. To win something, surely you have a better chance if the manager you have has done it all before? Quite simple really. How this all translates to arrogance is beyond me. You could argue that our expectations are a little high (we only expect, given our squad, to play decent football and probably a top half finish), but to me it would be pointless treading water by employing a man who has no real chance of winning anything at the club.

Good luck with your season anyway guys. Your having a blinder by the looks, and i hope you keep hold of Harry - he's doing a great job with you's. ''

Really?  :idiot2:  <------- Not aimed at Parky.

The acid test comes with how he backs him, this is how he will pass the first test

I'd prefer he backed a manager that was significantly better than the one he just sacked. Why does it take so long for people to understand.

Agreed, but nothing is that simple. Dalglish had a track record better than Alex Ferguson at the time, and he flopped.

Sometimes its a matter of the 2 pieces just being right for each other. Does he have the right personality for your club ? Is he good in front of the camera [important to Newcastle this one]. What sort of football does he play [important because its been proven AGAIN that managers who bore the pants off people don't last long when they aren't winning.

I've never like Redknappy for being a cockney tosser etc etc etc but I can see some positives. Wenger has always been my number 1 choice though, and with hindsight although Allardyce had certain qualities that were right for a Newcastle manager, the fact that he couldn't shake off his small time club mentality, and try to play the right type of football that you must play at the high level if you want to succeed at that level, has been his downfall. I think that Redknapp does play this type of football. So it all rests on how much he is backed and how well he uses the money, and yes, how long he is given. But I think if he struggles in his first few months he will get some slack because it may be that we can that he may be on the right lines. Hopefully.

If its Harry, he has my backing, and even a week ago I never thought I would say that about him. But thinking about it now ........

I actually disagree that Dalglish flopped - he was very unlucky to have to deal with a difficult situation not long after he took over(people forget we were 7th when he took over in Jan, and he got us to 2nd just beating Arsenal to CL football in May 97)

The club decided to sell Ferdinand amd Shearer got injured - we all know what happened next - and as we were a PLC, he didn't have unlimited funds whenever he wanted them, but he bought Hamman, Solano and Given - all great signings.

He fell foul of Fletcher over the transfer of Gillespie, and they fell out big time - from then on, his card was marked and they got him out only 2 games into the new season...

I reckon he WOULD have been a success given another few months, but we'll never know - at least he rubbished the media's claims that NUFC is a manager's graveyard ; he said it is a great job so he can't be as bad as people say ; the media hated him because he was brusque with them.

Guest elbee909

Well, well, well.. Our below par first choice manager has rejected. our offer Doesn't seem like a top class manager was lined up after all. I'm starting to be underwhelmed by the decision making regarding the manager position so far.

I'm not sure if this 'first choice' thing is true.  I agree that the media has represented as such but I can't help but feel this is a bit of misdirection, in a way - and that things have been happening in other areas at the same time.

Not a big 'smokescreen' as such, it's just I'm not sure how a manager can be first choice until he's been sounded out properly, which would apply to other potential candidates too.

Well, well, well.. Our below par first choice manager has rejected. our offer Doesn't seem like a top class manager was lined up after all. I'm starting to be underwhelmed by the decision making regarding the manager position so far.

I'm not sure if this 'first choice' thing is true.  I agree that the media has represented as such but I can't help but feel this is a bit of misdirection, in a way - and that things have been happening in other areas at the same time.

Not a big 'smokescreen' as such, it's just I'm not sure how a manager can be first choice until he's been sounded out properly, which would apply to other potential candidates too.

Welcome to the bitchin smokers corner in the dinning car.

I'm not celebrating Nappy isn't coming as it has revealed the scenario is actully worse than I suspected.

SA was sacked without a replacement onboard.

The only hope now is that we have 'talked' to 'others'.

Guest elbee909

Welcome to the bitchin smokers corner in the dinning car.

I'm not celebrating Nappy isn't coming as it has revealed the scenario is actully worse than I suspected.

SA was sacked without a replacement onboard.

The only hope now is that we have 'talked' to 'others'.

It all seems a bit out of character to how Ashley does business though, doesn't it?  If your scenario is true that puts Newcastle in a far weaker position when it comes to negotiatiing a potential contract with another manager.  It's what makes me wonder if there's a bit more to this than meets the eye/ear.

I actually disagree that Dalglish flopped - he was very unlucky to have to deal with a difficult situation not long after he took over(people forget we were 7th when he took over in Jan, and he got us to 2nd just beating Arsenal to CL football in May 97)

The club decided to sell Ferdinand amd Shearer got injured - we all know what happened next - and as we were a PLC, he didn't have unlimited funds whenever he wanted them, but he bought Hamman, Solano and Given - all great signings.

He fell foul of Fletcher over the transfer of Gillespie, and they fell out big time - from then on, his card was marked and they got him out only 2 games into the new season...

I reckon he WOULD have been a success given another few months, but we'll never know - at least he rubbished the media's claims that NUFC is a manager's graveyard ; he said it is a great job so he can't be as bad as people say ; the media hated him because he was brusque with them.

Fair enough. Wrong words. I agree he didn't flop, I probably meant to say he was sacked [and the vast majority of fans were happy to see him sacked, at the time]

I've always said that if we had won just one game ie the Cup Final , he wouldn't have been sacked, whatever football we played, and however we had started that season.

If if if ....... If Keegans team had won 5-0 or even 1-0 instead of losing 1-0 to manure.

Its true though that he is the absolute proof that you can only get away with negative football for as long as you are winning, at Newcastle [and prob other clubs too].

I agree with your comments about his press too. Just like his recent comments, he simply states the obvious, and sometimes stating the obvious just doesn't go down too well.