Louis van Gaal

Unbelievable

Guest bluegeordie

No chance:

As I said, my ambition at the moment is to take part in a major international tournament with a country and to win it. I've won almost everything there is to win at club level. What I feel is missing is the experience of a EURO or a World Cup at the head of a national team. AZ definitely want to keep me on and I've always finished my contracts out of a sense of loyalty. The president is looking to build for the long term with me and he wants to keep me on until I'm 65, but I don't want to be coaching a national team at that age and definitely not when I'm even older.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=667683.html

Hmm, not encouraging, I admit. But then again, people lie all the time - just look at wedding vows in the context of divorce statistics. No, for me it's all about context, and how could van Gaal refuse an offer as alluring as managing us?

On second thoughts, please don't answer that :coolsmiley:   

Guest assyriantoon

Foregin coaches get to work in big jobs in their countries and thus understand what it is like to manage a title contender and a European contender. This is probably why the top 4 don't risk their big jobs on english coaches who don't get to do that. If we have the aspirations to build a side that could challenge in the near future then we too need to look foreign. I don't think Van Gaal is interested right now but I am sure there are some coaches across Europe who we could look at. I think Paul le Guen is still a good coach but due to the Rangers fiasco his stock is down right now and we could very realistically attract him. Other then that there is Deschamps, Puel, Sollied, Adriansee, Daum, etc... that we could possibly look at.

It'll never happen.

Keep on dreaming though, if it helps dull the pain of watching the new regime f*** up just as badly as their predecessors.

Rubbish will it never happen. AZ is not exactly the biggest club he´s ever managed, and it looks like he will lose out on signing Alves, which will royally piss him off as he saw him as the last piece of the jigsaw to win the Dutch title (which he was only a win away on the last day of the championship last season). He´s rubbish as a national team manager, which he´s shown when he couldn´t get Holland qualified for the World Championships in 2002. He is however excellent at club management, and I don´t believe for one second AZ will be his last station at all, especially if we offer him a contract where he gets paid maybe 3 times as much as he currently gets and the prospect of a transfer kitty that will allow him to build a team capable of breaking into the the CL positions.

Exactly. He manages AZ Alkmaar at the moment, why people seem to think he's completely above our level is beyond me,

Alright so the last time we played AZ, we lost, but at the end of the day we're a bigger club with a lot going for us that AZ would love to have.

Exactly. He manages AZ Alkmaar at the moment, why people seem to think he's completely above our level is beyond me,

AZ is actually pretty rich club with high ambitions, I heard that they were really close to signing Afonso Alves with very high fee, but he wants to join some Premiership club.

AZ is actually pretty rich club with high ambitions, I heard that they were really close to signing Afonso Alves with very high fee, but he wants to join some Premiership club.

I didn't say that they don't have money or ambition, just that they're not on some other high level well away from us.

In comparison to other Dutch clubs AZ is pretty rich, but they are practically out of the running to win this year´s title and they´re already out of Europe, so it will be another one and a half year at least until he wins a major trophy with them. He may well feel the wheels have come off and could be tempted by another challenge, especially one involving a better competition (although he doesn´t normally speak highly of English football in interviews) and significantly more money.

In comparison to other Dutch clubs AZ is pretty rich, but they are practically out of the running to win this year´s title and they´re already out of Europe, so it will be another one and a half year at least until he wins a major trophy with them. He may well feel the wheels have come off and could be tempted by another challenge, especially one involving a better competition (although he doesn´t normally speak highly of English football in interviews) and significantly more money.

So he'd doing kinda shit, so we should bring him in off reputation....

Guest assyriantoon

AZ is a small club. They shouldn't have had the success of the last three years but Adriansee and Van Gaal have had them punching above their weight. This season they are 9th with two games in hand and have had a horrific time with injuries. For a team like AZ there is nothing you can do when your best players get injured. I don't think we are in any position to expect someone of the quality of Van Gaal let alone reject him.

Guest Dr. Richard Kimble

AZ is a small club. They shouldn't have had the success of the last three years but Adriansee and Van Gaal have had them punching above their weight. This season they are 9th with two games in hand and have had a horrific time with injuries. For a team like AZ there is nothing you can do when your best players get injured. I don't think we are in any position to expect someone of the quality of Van Gaal let alone reject him.

The way you came back against us from behind in the UEFA was slick and steely. I'm amazed no one else has hired him except AZ.

So he'd doing kinda s***, so we should bring him in off reputation....

Is that the way you would feel about Mourinho too?

So Van Gaal didnt impress last season when his mediocre AZ side knocked us out of the UEFA cup, and he completely outhought and outclassed Roeder with his side going for the jugular?

No I wasn't overly impressed, they got knocked out the night round anyway.

Well, fair do's, but I thought his tactics were excellent against us, and he won the mental battle that night, showing himself to be in a different class to the gutless but niceguy Roeder.

AZ are struggling right now, but is it fair to judge him on his current team considering his proven calibre? Didn't many of us similarly think Svenn was shit based on his tactics and philosophy with England? Was Sir Alex's "shit and sliding" ManU side a fair reflection on his ability a few years ago, when everyone was saying he was finished?

He's a CL winning manager. There arent many of them around, and they tend to be very good at their jobs - nobody's fool. They do fail sometimes, they do go through peaks and troughs in terms of success, but they normally bounce back at some point or another. The closest we've had in recent times was Sir Bobby, a Cup Winner's Cup winning manager. Maybe Hughes is a good manager in waiting, but I dont think its fair on others who want Van Gaal to say hes wanted just because hes a foreigner. Hes proven his class.

Guest bluegeordie

His team have just lost 6-1 to Ajax... Hmmm.

Dutch linesmen, hey? You can't beat 'em.

Maybe van Gaal's simply trying to ease the transition to The Toon ...

Guest Knightrider

I've got a lot of books about Dutch football and van Gaal would be another Gullit here based on the things I've read about his coaching methods. He is too technical for us and our players and indeed our league.

I've got a lot of books about Dutch football and van Gaal would be another Gullit here based on the things I've read about his coaching methods. He is too technical for us and our players and indeed our league.

You make the team sound like a bunch of thickos... bluerazz.gif

Was Gullit 'technical'? I thought his coaching sessions were basically just 'Go play, ladsh'.

The books and articles you read suggested Allardyce's methods would be somewhat of a guaranteed success though, didn't they?

The books and articles you read suggested Allardyce's methods would be somewhat of a guaranteed success though, didn't they?

:laugh: