The pros and cons of appointing Alan Shearer

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

As far as I'm concerned whoever we turn to next will be a gamble regardless of their experience unless they happen to be of the very highest calibre and even then there is no guarantee as Kenny Dalglish's time here would testify, so I'm now of the opinion that appointing Alan Shearer, although not ideal, does actually have it's merits and may not seem such a stupid idea after all, especially in current circumstances which have lead to one already average manager turning us down.

I remember reading a few quotes from Kevin Keegan years ago saying he was glad he took the Newcastle job when he did because he hadn't been set in his ways or needed to change himself accordingly. He could set about changing Newcastle United in his own vision free from any bad habits, force of habit or set ideals and principles because he went into the job naked so to speak. And the results speak for themselves. He did indeed transform the club in his own image and nothing could hold him back.

Scarred from his experiences with Newcastle and England he changed however and this had a negative effect on Manchester City who even though they did OK under Keegan, never really saw the best of him and while other factors played their part, Keegan changing had the biggest effect. What I'm saying is that had he approached that job like he approached our job, he might have been far more successful.

We've already seen with Big Sam who I personally believe could have done with a year off to free his mind of Bolton, just how tough he found it and he is very experienced and indeed proven. Had he approached the job with a free mind free from bad habits, mental scars from past experiences and with a new vision instead of an adopted one, he would still be in a job now perhaps.

What works at one club very rarely works at another club. Keegan couldn't do what he did here with Man City and Big Sam couldn't do here what he did at Bolton (although he never got any time to really judge) and I believe that's down to being set in ways where Sam is concerned and in Keegan's case, changing his whole approach based on bad experiences.

With Shearer, you wouldn't get someone who is set in their ways, who has bad habits or does things by force of habit, someone who has to change accordingly to the job or try and change the job. You get someone completely fresh who can GROW into the role and learn NEW things, who can CREATE something in his own image rather than something that past experiences dictate (Big Sam) or something he has to try and change himself (Gullit).

I won't go into the pros and cons of appointing Shearer as I'm hoping yous will do that but I thought I'd share with you something that our most successful modern manager believed was key to his success or rather his ability to build the club up from it's ruins as a starter meal.

Over to you...

Pros?

Cons?

PS This is actually a good basis as to why a return to KK would be a bad idea in general.

Guest Knightrider

I personally don't value or regard experience as a skill. Souness and Roeder were experienced. So too were Dalglish and Big Sam, vastly experienced. Of course it all depends on the level of experience and by that I don't mean based on years, but the type of experience/s. I value personal skills far higher than experience and even silverware.

Pro's- Would get time from supporters, players and the media (for a change)

Would command respect, just as he did as a player.

Would lift the spirits of alot of supporters, especially at this difficult time.

Cons- No managerial experience.

Guest LucaAltieri

Don't agree, really.

The best managers can ply their trade anywhere. With some of the bad habits they also bring good habits. In having previous jobs they've already made some elementary mistakes and learned from them. Maybe someone like Sam who has done more or less the same job for years might get stuck in their ways... but he was always just an average manager.

I don't think the "at least he's not stuck in his ways" arguement is a particularly strong one.

If we are going to talk about the pros of appointing Shearer then the biggest one would have to be "spiritual".

No other manager (of those we could realistically attract) is going to give an immediate lift to the players and fans. Our problem is not so much shite players as it is a shite team. We've got very bad form and we're finding hard to pull ourselves out of it. We all know that certain key members of the team are able to give more than they are right now.

If Shearer was to come in, regardless of his tactical knowledge/experience etc, the appointment would lift the fans, and in turn the fans would lift the team.

On the flip side; if we appoint another mediocre manager that doesn't inspire confidence in the team and, more importantly, the fans then as soon as things don't look good we'll be hearing the booing yet again.

Perhaps I'm just being optimistic in assuming Big Al would get more of a fair crack at things, but that's my belief.

Pro:No experince, knows some of the players, has watched most of our games this season, is a leader, knows he needs a experinced number 2 alongside him, knows what the GOLDFISH bowl of Newcastle is all about.

Cons: No experince, knows some of the players, I dont think he has the correct badages.

I also think there are Newcastle fans who want him to fail, while there are lot more fans in Wearside & around the country who would love to see "Mr Newcastle" fail & for fans at SJP to boo his team. Would he do a Jack Charlton and do one as soon as the fans turned because no Geordie wants to be hated by there own.

How can we, really, outline the pros and the cons when he's never managed before? 'Knows the club' simply doesn't count. The con will always be 'no managerial experience', how are we to know any more than that?

Personally, i wouldn't be too against appointing him now, simply because there's no bugger else who'd touch us with a bargepole and i'd like to see him boss, merely out of curiosity if nothing else.

Guest The Libertine

pro's: he give the club on the whole a massive boost, which may lead to improved results

he'll knock some heads together and hopefully, that'll get the players playing and will improve results

will be afforded time by the vultures because he's sheeera the almighty

he's respected in the football world so hopefully some decent players could be tricked into signing for us

con's: no experience. we could do with a proven manager for a few years to steady the ship.

he could die on his arse, and therefor, we will die on our arses. the media will laugh their arses off and we're back at square one.

he might play ameobi

off the top of my head.

Guest Goalfather

I have no idea what type of football he favours...

He may be even more route one than Allardyce..

The fact is he has may stink as a manager...and what do we do end ...Fire him at the end of the season and start all over again

Look if Shearer really wants to manage I am sure there are many teams in the lower divisions who will be quite willing to have  him. Let's give him time to learn his craft b4.... baby steps b4 big steps O0

Guest Knightrider

Pro:No experince, knows some of the players, has watched most of our games this season, is a leader, knows he needs a experinced number 2 alongside him, knows what the GOLDFISH bowl of Newcastle is all about.

Cons: No experince, knows some of the players, I dont think he has the correct badages.

I also think there are Newcastle fans who want him to fail, while there are lot more fans in Wearside & around the country who would love to see "Mr Newcastle" fail & for fans at SJP to boo his team. Would he do a Jack Charlton and do one as soon as the fans turned because no Geordie wants to be hated by there own.

I don't think there would be many in the media willing him to fail, look at how many pushed for him to take the England job or thought he'd be a good candidate. Remember he is well respected in the media and actually being part of that whole machine now as a pundit for MOTD he's one of them now and they do tend to stick by each other. Look at Souness, he's a media darling. Of course there will be some out to get him but in general I think he'll have more friends willing to stick up for him than enemies.

Pros:

-Would be the only manager in the world that every Newcastle supporter would get behind 110% even though they totally agree with his apiontment.

-Will get more time and patience than other managers

-The roar at St. James the at his debut game as manager !!!

- FFS, its SHEARER!!!!

Cons

- I guess the inexperinced bit, but I honestly dont regard that as a definite weakness.

one major factor would be that everyone would be 100% behind him.  That would be a major factor with this club, like robson and keegan, unlike souness roeder fathead daglish hullit

Pro's:  The guy is magic increadable mental strnegth.  Jack Walker at Black Burn offer him a player manager postion at 26. He ask his pal and adviser Kenny Dalglish and he told him to take it. I want Dalglish as assistant manger of D O F position. We might say he doesn't have experiance but we have to start some where and if we give a chance for Souness Roeder and Big Sam we have to give Shearer some chance to prove himself.

Last year there were lots of mangerial possibilities like Sven, Raniery, Hollier but this year it is quite diffucult to attarct top class manger. It is shame but we have to accept some reality to start up from bottom.

Lack of managerial experience wouldn't really be a con at this point. It's not as if we're bringing Shearer in to outwit the greats of the game in the CL Final. The only thing he may need help with is signing players. If Shearer was brought in, a competent DOF would probably be the next order of business.

Pros:

He could turn out to be a great manager and that's the only way we're going to get a great manager. No proven top class manger would be temped by us, the only way we will get one is by taking a chance on someone unproven.

In terms of the football played and results we had our best period since the departure of Robson while Shearer was Roeder's 'assistant'. How much of that was Shearer's influence? I don't know, but it disappeared when Shearer left. He may have the same effect as he had then.

Cons:

It's a big risk.

But, we're not going to get back up in the top six by playing it safe.

I don't think there would be many in the media willing him to fail, look at how many pushed for him to take the England job or thought he'd be a good candidate. Remember he is well respected in the media and actually being part of that whole machine now as a pundit for MOTD he's one of them now and they do tend to stick by each other. Look at Souness, he's a media darling. Of course there will be some out to get him but in general I think he'll have more friends willing to stick up for him than enemies.

In the media he should be fine, I was meaning football fans :thup:

Possible Pro: Would bring Gary Speed in to assist?

Possible Con n'all, given Speed's never been in a management set-up either (well, he coached a bit). Infact, that'd be a very risky decision tbh. A manager and an assistant both completely unqualified and inexperienced. I like the idea of Speed and i think one day he will be a very good coach/assistant/manager/whatever, but not yet...

Pros: He'd have the fans backing

Cons: He could just follow on from where the last few managers left off with all his pals at the club at a time when we need major changes. he could be totally clueless