Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

wow, this thread has just left me stunned...differing opinions and all that but i never thought i'd actually hear people thinking it was a good idea to go back, especially to keegan

incredible

He knows us, we know him. If Ashley backs him in the transfer market you can be guaranteed we'll be signing world class players who excite the fans.

i don't believe that would be guaranteed in the slightest, given he hasn't a sodding clue about football these days....we might get tino again thought

let's get les ferdinand back too! I've heard philippe albert also wants to have another go at it and we desperately need a good centre back! perfect... :rolleyes:

Guest LondonMag

We have to look forward.not back.those days were great,thats true.but if we return keegan it doesn't mean that those days will be back.

if the board want to retrun to those days that we were at top4 and played good football so they need to bring a top class manager.and not a manager that Maybe was top class in the 90's but now he is no more than average.

wow, this thread has just left me stunned...differing opinions and all that but i never thought i'd actually hear people thinking it was a good idea to go back, especially to keegan

incredible

Why is it such a bad idea?  He's younger than fergie still and if he's just here to caoch and advise Shearer then why not?

This club needs a big lift, and those 2 can attract a hell of alott of good players

ok then in no particular order:  his nervous meltdown with us in the title race, his nervous meltdown as england manager, the generally appalling play by his teams since he left us (not counting fulham as it was lower division and he had a fortune to spend), walking out on man city, walking out on england, walking out on us

erm enough?  then how about not watching a football match, by his own admission, since leaving man city 'cause he'd fallen out of love with the game

how much can he actually do if he's not been keeping involved in football to even the extent of watching a match from time to time?  do we want to wind the clock back 10 years to a time when we actually FAILED under this guy (as much as i love him he was a failure)? 

clubs like man u and arsenal (plus others) have spent 10 years developing since then and people are actually advocating a return to 1996?

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, throw me a fucken bone

as has been mentioned, Keegan would be better placed as Assistant/Coach, not as manager.

Guest assyriantoon

Its important that we don't expect too much if Keegan is appointed. By this I mean that we don't expect to be challenging for champions league places instantly. Football was a lot different back then and getting such quick results won't be as easy.

incredible

Why is it such a bad idea?  He's younger than fergie still and if he's just here to caoch and advise Shearer then why not?

This club needs a big lift, and those 2 can attract a hell of alott of good players

ok then in no particular order:  his nervous meltdown with us in the title race, his nervous meltdown as england manager, the generally appalling play by his teams since he left us (not counting fulham as it was lower division and he had a fortune to spend), walking out on man city, walking out on england, walking out on us

erm enough?  then how about not watching a football match, by his own admission, since leaving man city 'cause he'd fallen out of love with the game

how much can he actually do if he's not been keeping involved in football to even the extent of watching a match from time to time?  do we want to wind the clock back 10 years to a time when we actually FAILED under this guy (as much as i love him he was a failure)? 

clubs like man u and arsenal (plus others) have spent 10 years developing since then and people are actually advocating a return to 1996?

Think you're missing the point!

Keegan bleeds black and white always has and with him acting either as manager until Shearer is ready, won't we have stability with both of them?

They will get time and they will get the backing, now who says going back a second time won't work!

Look at Harry at pompey? Infact he's doing better 2nd time round!  So don't dismiss it as this would be the perfect time to get them both in!

Really don't see another manager having the same impact from who's been touted around.

Managerial stats

Team                                         From To                                                     Record

G W L     D     Win %

Newcastle United         February 5, 1992 January 8, 1997 251 138 62 51 54.98

Fulham                                May 7, 1998       May 9, 1999             61 38 11 12 62.29

England                       February 1999 October 7, 2000         18     7       7 4 38.89

Manchester City                           May 24, 2001 March 11, 2005                     176 77 60 39 43.75

I'd also have him as assistant to Shearer - surely between the pair of them they'd be able to motivate our sorry lot.

Guest geordiejim

Re: Why no foreigner?

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:13 PM » Quote Modify Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100% shearer keegan to take charge thats why no foreigner  

Report to moderator    82.25.118.1  

i said so on the 9/1/08  who else could it be.

Newsflash - football has changed.

The prices have gone up and there's more technology now but football is inherently a simple game is it not? Sam's technology really worked a treat!

Look at Brian Clough towards the end at Nottingham Forest. Even in 10 years from the early 80s when he was winning European Cups to the early 90s, football had moved on dramatically and he couldn't keep up. I'd say football has moved on even further in the 10 years since Keegan was last here.

incredible

Think you're missing the point!

Keegan bleeds black and white always has and with him acting either as manager until Shearer is ready, won't we have stability with both of them?

They will get time and they will get the backing, now who says going back a second time won't work!

Look at Harry at pompey? Infact he's doing better 2nd time round!  So don't dismiss it as this would be the perfect time to get them both in!

Really don't see another manager having the same impact from who's been touted around.

i'm fully aware of the point, i'm ignoring it 'cause it's shit

name me another PL club who would employ a man WHO DOESN'T EVEN WATCH FOOTBALL ANYMORE in any senior capacity?

there isn't one, that's why it's a shit point, thousands of people bleed black and white - it doesn't qualify them for the job

arguments like this serve to feed the national media their stereotype of us thinking we're a "special" club that must be understood and all that shite...the only thing to understand is put 11 players on the pitch and win games, that's it...

Shearer/Keegan will not work unless they have a top coach alongside them.

If Ashley is going down this avenue, bring in someone like Steve Clarke from C

this is what i can't get my head round, i understand the shearer thing and the need to pair him with somebody if he was getting the job....

but why the hell would we not pair him with a top quality experienced coach?  either from the continent or in this country?

The prices have gone up and there's more technology now but football is inherently a simple game is it not? Sam's technology really worked a treat!

Look at Brian Clough towards the end at Nottingham Forest. Even in 10 years from the early 80s when he was winning European Cups to the early 90s, football had moved on dramatically and he couldn't keep up. I'd say football has moved on even further in the 10 years since Keegan was last here.

Cloughy was all red and blotchy then due to the drink. I'm advocating Keegan as the assistant where he would primarily be taking the training, motivating the players and assisting Shearer.

Guest Mucky01

yep KK needs help as a tactician but if he is D of F remember one thing, he never made bad signings, and he could convince anyone to join.

Incredibly simple.

Our new manager needs to inspire. You could say the figurehead in this instance, is just as important as any other trait people babble on about on here such as the likes of Mourinho's experience, good as it may be, he is never going to join us and he would not be able to apply his skills well to the job without a massive transfer fund anyway. Football is incredibly simple, a player with such experience as Shearer knows enough about the game to manage a team! Especially alongside someone like Keegan.

Anyway, what excites me is the thought of the first game at St James', if Keegan and Shearer were in the dugout. The atmosphere would be immense, makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck thinking about it.

Re: Why no foreigner?

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:13 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100% shearer keegan to take charge thats why no foreigner 

Report to moderator    82.**.***.1 

i said so on the 9/1/08  who else could it be.

You might want to remove your IP address and learn how to quote yourself in future mate.  :lol: