FFF president 'reassured' Houllier not moving to Tyneside

NSG

Houllier eyes Toon hot seat

Jan 15 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

FORMER Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has emerged as a leading candidate for the vacant manager’s job at Newcastle United.

My information is that if the Frenchman was installed in the hot seat at St James’s Park he would not be averse to bringing in Alan Shearer as his No 2.

And my feeling is that working with Houllier is something that Shearer would consider.

Certainly Shearer must be feeling bemused about the whole “inexperienced” situation and promises from the United hierarchy that he will be considered as their manager in a couple of years’ time.

For unless Shearer decides to cut his teeth in management with another club, he will be just as inexperienced in two years’ time as he is now.

But experience is something Houllier certainly has in abundance – not to mention the ability to win trophies.

As well as winning the treble of League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup with Liverpool in season 2000-01, Houllier has won the French Championship with Paris St Germain and latterly with Lyon for the last two seasons.

Houllier was the man Sir John Hall wanted following the departure of Glenn Roeder but United instead went for Sam Allardyce.

As a result, Houllier took another job in his own country and he is now France’s technical director.

Because of his position and standing in the game, Houllier will not make a formal application for the United job but he would jump at the chance to come to St James’s Park.

And his boss Jean-Pierre Escalette of the French Football Federation has indicated he would not stand in the way of Houllier if he wanted to try his luck at St James’s Park.

But only one man will make the decision – United owner Mike Ashley. And as reported in The Chronicle last night, he returns from Hong Kong today to take charge of the situation.

In the meantime there is no shortage of a top men interested in the post which is often dubbed as a poisoned chalice.

I took a call last night from the No 2 to a top Premier League manager putting their case.

And today the man who was officially ranked as the sixth best club coach in the world, 55-year-old Brazilian Abel Braga, contacted me to throw his hat into the ring.

His representative, SFA Licensed Players Agent Alex McLaughlin, told me: “Abel is a very experienced coach who has outstanding tactical and coaching skills and he has managed at the highest levels in both Brazil and France.

“He is currently with Internacional Brazil and they have just won the Dubai Cup beating Inter Milan.

“He is looking for an opportunity to return to Europe and he knows all about the situation at Newcastle United and he believes he can bring success to whichever club he joins.”

I like houllier whether he would get the time he needs here is debatable. dont think he can really go toe to toe with the likes of wenger or fergie but will get us a damn sight closer than almost everyone else mentioned. having shearer at his side would certainly be a great bargaining chip for time. could also see him coming in as dof too.

But if Houllier and Shearer got us so far, would you trust Shearer to be the man to take us that bit further?

I thought he and houllier were still close. owen has certainly spoken highly of him several times since he left merseyside. didnt think they had any grudges at all. maybe its all one sided though

Lyon boss Gerard Houllier, who managed Owen at Liverpool, added: "I get on well with Michael and I still have contact with him and his family."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4156056.stm

The past week or 2, the Ronnie has had Morts socks knocked off, Redkanpp nailed on, Hughes nailed on, Shearer nailed on, Shearer and Keegan nailed on and Houllier nailed on, with a brazillian thrown in for good measure.

The past week or 2, the Ronnie has had Morts socks knocked off, Redkanpp nailed on, Hughes nailed on, Shearer nailed on, Shearer and Keegan nailed on and Houllier nailed on, with a brazillian thrown in for good measure.

;D

Sounds about right. 

If shearer and houllier got us so far would i trust shearer to take us further?                                                                        probably still have doubts. but then moving houllier to dof/shearer bringing in a few fresh coaching faces to spice things up Would be almost as much as a gamble as bringing someone new in. although on the flip side it would be harder if shearer/houllier failed miserably. would you trust shearer ever again or inevitably houllier would be blamed.

Would probably get along well would N'Zogbia too, since Houllier's a legend in France, right?

As for his transfer record, for what it's worth, French youngsters now are looking a lot better than French youngsters back then, so maybe he'll have better luck this time. Bringing in young prospects is a crapshot really, figure he just had horrible luck last try.

Guest getalife

Just been sent this off a mate..

Chris Mort (Newcastle chairman) outside the ground spots an old lady struggling to cross the road with two large shopping bags, he calls out to her "can you manage lass",

she shouts back "fck off, i don't want the fcking job either".    :nope:

Chris Mort (Newcastle chairman) outside the ground spots an old lady struggling to cross the road with two large shopping bags, he calls out to her "can you manage lass",

Sunday morning has just been on the phone. Says they want their joke back.

Guest getalife

Sunday morning has just been on the phone. Says they want their joke back.

Sorry, I'm not in the country, but I should've known it had already done the rounds.....

That joke was actually made for the England job (Barwick and McClaren).

Still as shit as it was originally.

Either way if shearer gets assistant he will be expected to take over. if the partnership goes bad it will be houlliers fault. if it goes well but gets stagnant it will be houllier holding al back, time to move upstairs gerard. either way houllier is on to a loser. its something im sure he is aware of

Well Houllier is just a french version of Sam Allardyce. Sam and Mort wants attractive football, I just don't see where Houllier comes in.

Maybe it's his impressive shopping list

Vegard Heggem

Jean-Michel Ferri

Frode Kippe

Rigobert Song

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Sander Westerveld

Vladimir Smicer

Erik Meijer

Emile Heskey

Markus Babbel

Bernard Diomede

Pegguy Arphexad

Gary McAllister

Nick Barmby

Christian Ziege

Gregory Vignal

Danny Sjoland

Igor Biscan

Jari Litmanen

Milan Baros

Chris Kirkland

Jerzy Dudek

What about Hyypia, Riise, Henchoz, Hamann, Finnan? Dudek? Babbel, Baros, McAllister were fantastic in that team btw.

I wouldnt count Litmanen as a bad signing. He was a great player with a bit of flair and scored some good goals but Houllier preferred Owen-Heskey partnership and it worked very well.

"I took a call last night from the No 2 to a top Premier League manager putting their case.

And today the man who was officially ranked as the sixth best club coach in the world, 55-year-old Brazilian Abel Braga, contacted me to throw his hat into the ring."

astounding arrogance of analO!!

Why on earth would they ring him??  what a gobshite!