FFF president 'reassured' Houllier not moving to Tyneside

NSG

Well Houllier is just a french version of Sam Allardyce. Sam and Mort wants attractive football, I just don't see where Houllier comes in.

Maybe it's his impressive shopping list

Vegard Heggem

Jean-Michel Ferri

Frode Kippe

Rigobert Song

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Sander Westerveld

Vladimir Smicer

Erik Meijer

Emile Heskey

Markus Babbel

Bernard Diomede

Pegguy Arphexad

Gary McAllister

Nick Barmby

Christian Ziege

Gregory Vignal

Danny Sjoland

Igor Biscan

Jari Litmanen

Milan Baros

Chris Kirkland

Jerzy Dudek

houllier would be a very good choice but i do have some qualms about his health/appetite for the job as well as transfer record and style of football.

At our level there never will be the perfect appointment i'm afraid.

You (not you specifically) just have to consider the overall picture, and that is Houllier is a good manager, and with Shearer alongside him it would make a smashing team.

Even Lippi, Van Gaal, Mourinho have their faults, no one is perfect.

as i say he'd be a very good choice, but i wouldn't just automatically give him the job without interviewing him or seriously looking at other candidates too. don't think a shearer combo would work tho, bobyule has outlined why in some other posts.

I'd give him it on his own, Shearer coming in as no2 is the icing on the cake for me.

I think Bobyule is being over cautious, he's looking at all the negatives. Shearer won't hang over Houllier, it won't be about getting Houllier out when its going wrong as Shearer is there and its his mess as well.

i think it would just be another complication and another way to pile the pressure on. as a working relationship i think they'd get on fine (if shearer is prepared to be number 2) but at the first sign of trouble, or even at the first press conference, there'd be uncomfortable questions asked and s*** stirred up. people said shearer had too much power as a player so appointing him simply for his name to the coaching staff might undermine the manager. who would have more authority amongst the fans or even players for instance?

Again these are the negatives. If its to be believed Shearer doesn't want to work with KK, probably for those reasons, i reckon Shearer could possibly think (just as i do) that KK can't offer enough as he's seen what he's capable of at club and NT level. As for Houllier its different. Shearer (if believed) likes the idea, and of course Shearer knows an experienced man like Houllier is going to ahead of him and could accept that. Shearer himself doesn't think he is ready for the job, last thing he's going to do is get above his station early on in this arrangement.

Shearer will command respect from the players and fans, but Houllier obviously commands respect from Shearer or Shearer wouldn't work with him, along side him, or below him, which ever way its going to pan out.

Shearer has as far as I can see not made any major career decisions without fully thinking it out through, him to Soton, to Blackburn and even turning down Manu for us. I can't see him changing his habits just because its the toon coming asking, if anything he'd probably not even consider the job (manager or assistant) unless he'd made sure everything was in place before he'd accept. Houllier would i'd sure, tick all the boxes for Shearer.

houllier would be a very good choice but i do have some qualms about his health/appetite for the job as well as transfer record and style of football.

At our level there never will be the perfect appointment i'm afraid.

You (not you specifically) just have to consider the overall picture, and that is Houllier is a good manager, and with Shearer alongside him it would make a smashing team.

Even Lippi, Van Gaal, Mourinho have their faults, no one is perfect.

as i say he'd be a very good choice, but i wouldn't just automatically give him the job without interviewing him or seriously looking at other candidates too. don't think a shearer combo would work tho, bobyule has outlined why in some other posts.

I'd give him it on his own, Shearer coming in as no2 is the icing on the cake for me.

I think Bobyule is being over cautious, he's looking at all the negatives. Shearer won't hang over Houllier, it won't be about getting Houllier out when its going wrong as Shearer is there and its his mess as well.

i think it would just be another complication and another way to pile the pressure on. as a working relationship i think they'd get on fine (if shearer is prepared to be number 2) but at the first sign of trouble, or even at the first press conference, there'd be uncomfortable questions asked and s*** stirred up. people said shearer had too much power as a player so appointing him simply for his name to the coaching staff might undermine the manager. who would have more authority amongst the fans or even players for instance?

Again these are the negatives. If its to be believed Shearer doesn't want to work with KK, probably for those reasons, i reckon Shearer could possibly think (just as i do) that KK can't offer enough as he's seen what he's capable of at club and NT level. As for Houllier its different. Shearer (if believed) likes the idea, and of course Shearer knows an experienced man like Houllier is going to ahead of him and could accept that. Shearer himself doesn't think he is ready for the job, last thing he's going to do is get above his station early on in this arrangement.

Shearer will command respect from the players and fans, but Houllier obviously commands respect from Shearer or Shearer wouldn't work with him, along side him, or below him, which ever way its going to pan out.

Shearer has as far as I can see not made any major career decisions without fully thinking it out through, him to Soton, to Blackburn and even turning down Manu for us. I can't see him changing his habits just because its the toon coming asking, if anything he'd probably not even consider the job (manager or assistant) unless he'd made sure everything was in place before he'd accept. Houllier would i'd sure, tick all the boxes for Shearer.

Spot on. He's not impulsive, if he were he's have stayed on under Roeder and waited for the job then.

Well Houllier is just a french version of Sam Allardyce. Sam and Mort wants attractive football, I just don't see where Houllier comes in.

Vegard Heggem

Jean-Michel Ferri

Frode Kippe

Rigobert Song

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Sander Westerveld

Vladimir Smicer

Erik Meijer

Emile Heskey

Markus Babbel

Bernard Diomede

Pegguy Arphexad

Gary McAllister

Nick Barmby

Christian Ziege

Gregory Vignal

Danny Sjoland

Igor Biscan

Jari Litmanen

Milan Baros

Chris Kirkland

Jerzy Dudek

Sam ain't got da bling doe innit?!

Vegard Heggem

Jean-Michel Ferri

Frode Kippe

Rigobert Song

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Sander Westerveld

Vladimir Smicer

Erik Meijer

Emile Heskey

Markus Babbel

Bernard Diomede

Pegguy Arphexad

Gary McAllister

Nick Barmby

Christian Ziege

Gregory Vignal

Danny Sjoland

Igor Biscan

Jari Litmanen

Milan Baros

Chris Kirkland

Jerzy Dudek

Ultimately you judge a manager on his finishes not his signings.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th Uefa Cup winners, Fa Cup winners, League Cup winners, Gerard Houllier for me is by far the outstanding realistic candidate in terms of CV.

Who else could be on the list? We seem to be looking at a different calibre of manager, I think Hughes/Shearer and Keegan are the only ones who will be considered from England, with the board looking at Houllier who else is a realisitc option?

I cant think of too many managers on par with Houllier with the same reputation as Houllier in England, maybe van Gaal?

Can anyone think of any other manager who is known in Britain with a similar standing in thegame as Houllier?

"but but but... but look at Houllier's signings!!!"

Look at the team Keegan had.  Players such as Darren Peacock, John Beresford, Warren Barton, Lee Clark.

Hardly worldbeaters, but as part of a team, they did the job.

agree with this sort of mindset, people will either whinge that certain players aren't glamour signings, or about round pegs etc etc, you cant have it both ways unless you're a MASSIVE club, there has to be compromise somewhere

"but but but... but look at Houllier's signings!!!"

Look at the team Keegan had.  Players such as Darren Peacock, John Beresford, Warren Barton, Lee Clark.

Hardly worldbeaters, but as part of a team, they did the job.

agree with this sort of mindset, people will either whinge that certain players aren't glamour signings, or about round pegs etc etc, you cant have it both ways unless you're a MASSIVE club, there has to be compromise somewhere

Spot on.  I can't help but feel some people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Vegard Heggem

Jean-Michel Ferri

Frode Kippe

Rigobert Song

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Sander Westerveld

Vladimir Smicer

Erik Meijer

Emile Heskey

Markus Babbel

Bernard Diomede

Pegguy Arphexad

Gary McAllister

Nick Barmby

Christian Ziege

Gregory Vignal

Danny Sjoland

Igor Biscan

Jari Litmanen

Milan Baros

Chris Kirkland

Jerzy Dudek

Ultimately you judge a manager on his finishes not his signings.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th Uefa Cup winners, Fa Cup winners, League Cup winners, Gerard Houllier for me is by far the outstanding realistic candidate in terms of CV.

He was manging Liverpool, can't see him doing the same with us

Still rather have him then Redknapp here.

I like houllier whether he would get the time he needs here is debatable. dont think he can really go toe to toe with the likes of wenger or fergie but will get us a damn sight closer than almost everyone else mentioned. having shearer at his side would certainly be a great bargaining chip for time. could also see him coming in as dof too.

Guest smithy1983uk

liverpool fan here just wondering how well he would work with owen dont think they would be on the best of terms since owen basicly forced GH to sell him

he will fix your defence tho he did have a few good buys there

liverpool fan here just wondering how well he would work with owen dont think they would be on the best of terms since owen basicly forced GH to sell him

Rafa sold him didn't he?

I thought (not sure) it was in the interrim when they didn't have a proper manager. It was always Fowler who Houllier seemed to ostracise though, perferring Owen.

Edit: Just checked and you were right.

Rafa sold him didn't he?

Yep.

Benitez said Liverpool were powerless to stop Owen joining Real once the Spanish club showed an interest in him.

"I was very happy with Michael and I wanted him to stay," Benitez said. "The problem was he only had a year left on his contract. Real Madrid started talking with his agent and in the end it was an impossible situation to control.

"We are losing a good player and a good person," he told reporters.

"But I think it's impossible to control the situation for us. When you talk to footballers now the agents control many situations. Now when a player has only one year left on his contract, like Michael, it is difficult to control what happens."