FFF president 'reassured' Houllier not moving to Tyneside

NSG

I'd be very happy with Houllier and he's most likely one, if not the best candidate we can get. Speaks english, has loads of experience here and abroad, yes he made the odd bad signing but which manager hasn't? - plus with those said signings he won the european cup and other trophies too!! times have changed since back then and I'm sure with Lyon he made some quality signings!

Get him in!

:thup:

Guest Man in Black

I think Houllier with Shearer as no2 would be a very positive appointment. I remember Liverpool being quite exciting when he was manager too.

He played some real dross. They got results but a lot of the time they weren't entertaining.

aye, that 2001 season when we won 5 trophies and banged in 122 goals was really bad

Who do you prefer Houllier or Rafa?

Rafa, i think Rafa will get it right, and when he does we will dominate the league. he has Europe cracked, but the league is proving a bit more difficult for him. but if he gets the time, he'll be great

houllier would be a very good choice but i do have some qualms about his health/appetite for the job as well as transfer record and style of football.

At our level there never will be the perfect appointment i'm afraid.

You (not you specifically) just have to consider the overall picture, and that is Houllier is a good manager, and with Shearer alongside him it would make a smashing team.

Even Lippi, Van Gaal, Mourinho have their faults, no one is perfect.

Guest SmileyCulture

I'd take Houllier at the drop of a hat right nowhes probably the ceiling of the calibur of manager we can attract right now and he did a great job at Liverpool.

houllier would be a very good choice but i do have some qualms about his health/appetite for the job as well as transfer record and style of football.

You (not you specifically) just have to consider the overall picture, and that is Houllier is a good manager, and with Shearer alongside him it would make a smashing team.

as i say he'd be a very good choice, but i wouldn't just automatically give him the job without interviewing him or seriously looking at other candidates too. don't think a shearer combo would work tho, bobyule has outlined why in some other posts.

as i say he'd be a very good choice, but i wouldn't just automatically give him the job without interviewing him or seriously looking at other candidates too. don't think a shearer combo would work tho, bobyule has outlined why in some other posts.

I'd give him it on his own, Shearer coming in as no2 is the icing on the cake for me.

I think Bobyule is being over cautious, he's looking at all the negatives. Shearer won't hang over Houllier, it won't be about getting Houllier out when its going wrong as Shearer is there and its his mess as well.

Guest Christian Hayne

Houllier is sacked after 1 year in Newcastle...

Look at all the s*** he bought in Liverpool....

and all the trophies. look at the mess we were in when he took over, Houllier was exactly what we needed at the time. and the s*** you say he bought won the European Cup. all bar Alonso and Garcia who started the final were Houlliers players. give Houllier time and he'll be brilliant for you.

You a Liverpool fan?

yes. word is from one of the lads i know who works with Houllier in some sort of agent public speaking capacity says that talks are at an advanced stage and Houllier is very interested, and your lot seem to be keen. not a done deal yet, but its looking more likely than not at the minute. no word on assistant though, but Houllier came very close to signng Shearer in his last season in charge, and has a lot of time for him. apparantly Shearer came very close to signing for us in 2002, but changed his mind at the last minute

So you are saying the discussions are further advanced than the media are saying?

Look at what he did at Liverpool, he was an excellent manager and brought bags of success to Lyon too.

He'd work well with N'Zogbia and Ngo Baheng and our other French speaking players like Beye, Faye and Geremi. He's also seen the true abilities of Beye, Rozehnal and Cacapa. He should know which of them are the best and who aren't good enough based on previous performances in Ligue 1 as well as the performances at our club.

My first choice.

Always thought this would be a realistic choice, i dont think managing partnerships work, not unless they have the exact same styles and philosiphies. I dont think Shearer will have the same philosphy as Houllier so i cant see it working at all.

Having said that, having shearer doing all the PR would be invalauble to Houllier.

I know people arent exactly sold on the whole footballing style that Houllier brings, but do you no think it would be a possibilty that the new manager could be asked to adapt there style, i think it wouldnt be too unnapealing for manager to have to adapt his style is he knew that money was no object?

Shearer would make an excellent assistant in the dugout.

When we're losing and all the mongs are booing all Houllier has to do is send Shearer out to wave at them and they'll all start cheering then.

:lol:

When we're losing and all the mongs are booing all Houllier has to do is send Shearer out to wave at them and they'll all start cheering then.

Shearer as Houllier assistant would be perfect

Shearer as Houllier assistant would be perfect

He should start his career as an assistant, and obiously, here would be the perfect place to start.

I'd give him it on his own, Shearer coming in as no2 is the icing on the cake for me.

I think Bobyule is being over cautious, he's looking at all the negatives. Shearer won't hang over Houllier, it won't be about getting Houllier out when its going wrong as Shearer is there and its his mess as well.

i think it would just be another complication and another way to pile the pressure on. as a working relationship i think they'd get on fine (if shearer is prepared to be number 2) but at the first sign of trouble, or even at the first press conference, there'd be uncomfortable questions asked and shit stirred up. people said shearer had too much power as a player so appointing him simply for his name to the coaching staff might undermine the manager. who would have more authority amongst the fans or even players for instance?

i think it would just be another complication and another way to pile the pressure on. as a working relationship i think they'd get on fine (if shearer is prepared to be number 2) but at the first sign of trouble, or even at the first press conference, there'd be uncomfortable questions asked and shit stirred up. people said shearer had too much power as a player so appointing him simply for his name to the coaching staff might undermine the manager. who would have more authority amongst the fans or even players for instance?

Again these are the negatives. If its to be believed Shearer doesn't want to work with KK, probably for those reasons, i reckon Shearer could possibly think (just as i do) that KK can't offer enough as he's seen what he's capable of at club and NT level. As for Houllier its different. Shearer (if believed) likes the idea, and of course Shearer knows an experienced man like Houllier is going to ahead of him and could accept that. Shearer himself doesn't think he is ready for the job, last thing he's going to do is get above his station early on in this arrangement.

Shearer will command respect from the players and fans, but Houllier obviously commands respect from Shearer or Shearer wouldn't work with him, along side him, or below him, which ever way its going to pan out.

I have to admit that GH is not my first or second choice (my first choice is Hiddink with Hitzfeld as my second choice), but as a third choice I do like GH with AS as an assistant.

I think that GH does have some weaknesses, but I think that AS (whilst inexperienced) would bring major contributions to those weaknesses, effectively negating them.  My only concern is one of ego management.  It is mandatory, to my mind, that GH is the guy in charge as he's the guy with the experience, but AS should be given a clearly defined role outside of which he can provide requested advice only (this goes to the whole concept of good fences make good neighbours).  I do think that it would need prior agreement that if the two fall out with each other AS is the one to go, not GH.  Leaving the club in AS' hands with little experience would be a disaster.

So if the outcome is GH with AS as an assistant, I'd be quite satisfied with that and would be prepared to back them (assuming rank incompetence isn't revealed within the first few months).