Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Mort has hit the nail squarely on the head with his summary of what the club need in a new manager - the new man will need to BUILD A CLUB, not just a team, and that is why Mort mentioned the neglect of the Academy/Youth system which needs to be addressed - Fergie gets into OT at 7.30 most mornings and takes interest in EVERY aspect of the club's operations including the Academy set up - this requirement by Mort seems to rule out anyone who doesn't place a high priority on Youth development, so probably KK does not now fit the bill(ask Alan Thompson why he left SJP in the early days of the KK regime..).

The requirement to play good football is obviously necessary, but whoever gets the job will have to tell the fans that WINNING COMES FIRST, esp this season - we HAVE to beat Bolton and Boro in the next home matches.....

Being able to speak English IS necessary and in my mind, there has to be a bit of an aura round whoever gets the job - the players need to have total respect for the guy and that, I feel , has been lacking ....

The thing that scares me is the time element - I do understand that they need to check all options, but we are not in a good position to go weeks without a new manager - had we already played the most difficult

games and had the same number of points, then maybe things would be different, but we still have many

really tough matches where we need results so time is pressing.

It will be really interesting to see who they eventually choose, and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few fans were disappointed by the eventual choice at first - there has been far too much hype about unobtainable foreign managers and I agree totally with Mort's description of where the club are right now.

Guest elbee909

Not so fast...

I've heard from a good source Keegan is meeting Ashley tomorrow. £20m over 3year.

Info via one of KK's prodical sons.

Who else is competing for his signature that we'd need to offer so much?

Prodigal sons indeed.

We need someone who can embrace the passion of this club and immerse themselves in it that's for sure. Someone who sees it as more than just their next job.

From that point of view Shearer/Keegan would be the ideal choices, but i wouldn't be surprised if Keegan has lost some of his previous love for management, and i certainly think his self-belief will have been affected by his experiences here, at Fulham and at Man City. I think re-appointing him would be a mistake, and thankfully for us I don't think our new owner and Chairman are that foolish.

Shearer's lack of experience wouldn't necessarily be a problem when it comes to team affairs but with regards to building the club, developing the youth side, signing players etc. i do feel it would count against him. We need someone who has been involved in all aspects of football club development as well as team managment. Right now the job is all-encompassing and for that reason it is too much for Shearer to take on. That's why Shearer is one for the future not for now. Lets get the club sorted from top to bottom before we get him in. That way he can concentrate solely on team affairs and delivering results on the pitch.

Not so fast...

I've heard from a good source Keegan is meeting Ashley tomorrow. £20m over 3year.

Why would anyone pay KK £20m over 3 years?

Why would Keegan already know what he's being offered before meeting Ashley?

Not so fast...

Why would anyone pay KK £20m over 3 years?

Why would Keegan already know what he's being offered before meeting Ashley?

The plot thickens, or something like that!  :lol:

Not so fast...

Prodigal sons indeed.

does this make me an ITK or just a prodical son?  :parky:

Not so fast...

Prodigal sons indeed.

Well played LFEE mate, you're going in the "listen to" books.

Not so fast...

Prodigal sons indeed.

I owe you an apology at least, still, the figures have got to be wrong.

So as part of Mort's critiera, I'll be interested to see what KK does with the youth set up.  I can't remember why the reserve team was abandoned the last time but I hope KK gets someone in to sort this out from top to bottom.

Not so fast...

Prodigal sons indeed.

Well played LFEE mate, you're going in the "listen to" books.

Cheers for that...though i wished i had done what my source did and put £1000 on it! I didnt get confirmation til late last night what was going down..

Not so fast...

Prodigal sons indeed.

I did say (i think it was the other thread though) that even i thought the figures seemed high... rumours are nearer the £3m mark. Unless it is is backroom staff budget over 3yr? KK £9m Ass Coach etc out of a pot of £11m over 3yr could answer that? Either that or there is some big bonus clauses in the contract and that is the max he could earn over the 3yr?

Aye LFEE, I totally didn't believe you and have now put you in the 'members to listen to' section, heh

I guess you could hardly complain at people not believing stuff like this as we've had so many rumours, bets, speculation over the past week we've all gone mental with it all

Nice work  O0

Not so fast...

Prodigal sons indeed.

I did say (i think it was the other thread though) that even i thought the figures seemed high... rumours are nearer the £3m mark. Unless it is is backroom staff budget over 3yr? KK £9m Ass Coach etc out of a pot of £11m over 3yr could answer that? Either that or there is some big bonus clauses in the contract and that is the max he could earn over the 3yr?

Are you King Kev in disguise?