Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

If people have a problem with his signings and at best they think he's average in the transfer market, then what does that make what he achieved with these wasters, expensive flops and shit players?

Phenomenal?

Where he finished and what he won means everything. His transfers might look shit now on paper, but they achieved for him. Couldn't give a shit about them individually.

Exactly. When people look at Sir Bobby's record here do they look at the league finishes he achieved and how far he moved us forward or for signing players like Viana, Cort, Bramble etc?

The guy has a record of winning things, if he can win ONE fuckin decent trophy here, he'd forever be a legend.

So did Dogleash, Souness and Robson.

And Allardyce, Roeder & Keegan didn't (minor not inc) haven't, and probably will never do so.

The guy has a record of winning things, if he can win ONE fuckin decent trophy here, he'd forever be a legend.

And what's your point?

Nobody can guarantee he'll be successful but appointing a manager with a proven track record at club level should be our main aim, Kenny and Sir Bobby are comparable as both had similar track records of improving clubs with very few failures between them, Souness was shite and was never going to be good enough, the fact he won a few trophies won't change that.

Couple on RAWK think he'll be well suited for us, a couple say we'd not like his football.

His Lyon football, from what i saw in CL was often very good. Then again his mentality with Liverpool wasn't my favour, or anyone's favour for that matter.

Im still favoring Jol over Houllier, cause somehow i think Jol is more interested in attacking football, but whoever is appointed will need massive backing, both financeally and from the supporters.

Couple on RAWK think he'll be well suited for us, a couple say we'd not like his football.

I'm not 100% convinced by him!  Yeah he's been good where ever he's been but just don't get the wow factor from him.

Whatever happens just wish it would happen soon, as it's dragging on a bit

We need those 3  points against Bolton just to give us a bit of breathing space

And what's your point?

Nobody can guarantee he'll be successful but appointing a manager with a proven track record at club level should be our main aim, Kenny and Sir Bobby are comparable as both had similar track records of improving clubs with very few failures between them, Souness was s**** and was never going to be good enough, the fact he won a few trophies won't change that

Just pointing a few things out for the discusion, thats all Faggio.

And what's your point?

Nobody can guarantee he'll be successful but appointing a manager with a proven track record at club level should be our main aim, Kenny and Sir Bobby are comparable as both had similar track records of improving clubs with very few failures between them, Souness was s**** and was never going to be good enough, the fact he won a few trophies won't change that

No worries, Gimp.

It's just the OMG SOUNESS WON TROPHIES point is desperate, anyone with half a brain could tell you he's useless and a few trophies won't disguise that.

And what's your point?

No worries, Gimp.

It's just the OMG SOUNESS WON TROPHIES point is desperate, anyone with half a brain could tell you he's useless and a few trophies won't disguise that.

he has actually won quite alot... check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Souness

Its just in the Premier League he probably is the worst ever to manage teams.

Yeah, I'm not saying it guarentee's success, it doesnt. But, I'd much rather have a previously successful manager put in place.

No worries, Gimp.

Going off the comments read on hear, listening to family members, mates, listening to phone in, reading other websites I really cant see whoever comes in being totally backed.  Everybody has a different name and gives an argument why it should be him and other people turn their nose up and give a counter argument.

I really dont know who they shoudl appoint my head is swimming.

Souness was a pleb, she should never have been allowed to manage NUFC. 

Some people have mentioned about his style of football here but as Mort points out in the job description release that they'd have to gear our football towards attacking so from the first day he'd know thats where we aim to be, so no need to worry so much.

At least he knows what his employers are looking for and what the fans like to see, so he'd thus buying accordingly I'd imagine. Mike would back him completely.

This quote from Roeder last night has already been posted, but I recommend that people reread it and also consider the fact that Roeder is one of Houllier's biggest mates in the English game:

Former Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says Alan Shearer has what it takes to be a success as the club's manager.

"Alan is a future Newcastle manager, and he might well be the next one," the Norwich boss told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"All on his own, without an experienced backroom team, I think the job would be very difficult.

"But if he appointed a very experienced backroom team to help him get through the first few seasons, then I believe Alan would be a winning manager."

At Lyon he bought:

John Carew Besiktas £ 5m Good

Benoit Pedretti Marseille   Good

Sylvain Monsoreau Sochaux  No idea

Tiago Chelsea £ 6.5m  Average

Kim Kallstrom Rennes  Promising

Jeremy Toulalan Nantes V Promising

Sebastien Squillaci Monaco  Class

Alou Diarra Lens  Average

Milan Baros Aston Villa Crap

Also he has a policy of bringing through youth players, before he joined Liverpool he was head of technical development for the FFF.

cant understand why people think shearer wouldnt want to be involved even if he was assistant

'there you go alan, there's a job at the top end of the managerial structure in a premier league club you've loved all your life, you'll be idolised even more if you do well and if you dont it'll be the other guys fault, doesn't matter if you've got any experience, jobs yours son'

'nah thanks, i only want to manage when i'm in charge of the universe XI, i'm alan shearer for fucks sake'

not that i'm saying he will or dont do well, but why on earth would he turn that down on 'i want to be on total charge' grounds? its tailor made for him and handed on a plate

cant understand why people think shearer wouldnt want to be involved even if he was assistant

'there you go alan, there's a job at the top end of the managerial structure in a premier league club you've loved all your life, you'll be idolised even more if you do well and if you dont it'll be the other guys fault, doesn't matter if you've got any experience, jobs yours son'

'nah thanks, i only want to manage when i'm in charge of the universe XI, i'm alan shearer for fucks sake'

not that i'm saying he will or dont do well, but why on earth would he turn that down on 'i want to be on total charge' grounds? its tailor made for him and handed on a plate

bluelaugh.gif

You never know, maybe even the great Alan Shearer has respect for other men in football, and could understand why a guy who has already been a success in the Premier League and has won trophies wherever he's been would get appointed ahead of him. Perhaps he would even feel he could learn a few things from working with a world class manager - things that would stand him in better stead of being a successful manager himself in the future.

You never know, maybe even the great Alan Shearer has respect for other men in football, and could understand why a guy who has already been a success in the Premier League and has won trophies wherever he's been would get appointed ahead of him. Perhaps he would even feel he could learn a few things from working with a world class manager - things that would stand him in better stead of being a successful manager himself in the future.

indeed

I think Houllier signed Fred as well didn't he?

Both Tiago and Fred are available at the moment ...

If we could get them both on loan, with Houllier and Alan coming in, that would be sweet.

I'd have Fred signed up on a deal personally, crakcer player and the ideal foil for Owe/martins, plus his arrival may well give Vids a kick up the arse!

Tiago would be an ideal oan signing but seems he is really unhappy at Juve and needs a quick fix to get outta there!

For the right money again I feel would be a good signing, especially given our current centre mid status! give them 4mil for Tiago and 8 for Fred and let the revolution roll!

The club has said that they are looking at a long-term plan so they would have to bring in someone like Houllier to sort out youth development etc.  Shearer may prove to be a brilliant manager but at this stage, there is no way he can deal with everything that is involved with running a football club.