Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Does anyone else think all this talk of stylish, 'carpet' football is heaping unnecessary pressure on the new manager before he's even arrived? I'm convinced Newcastle fans would be delighted if significant success came with winning 'ugly', it was losing ugly which was the problem.

They need to be careful on that front, but I think it's commonly accepted (by the board and the fans) that winning is first and foremost.

... and that Newcastle are not soon to be a team that can expect to win all games, hence a "style" of football where at least those kind of inevitable losses are at least in some kind bearable and not resulting in booing-orgies again.

Agree with this, most definitely. From what I've witnessed at SJP from the crowd over the past few seasons, I genuinely think the booing will be quelled if the team is going all-guns-blazing against whoever we are facing. It's different being utterly atrocious and getting beaten by Sheff Utd, etc. than it is having a go and going down fighting.

For all people say that results are the top priority (which is right, of course), the performances do have a major impact on things. Even as recently as Man City, where we went 0-1 down before half-time, the players were applauded from the field because we'd been playing it on the deck and having a real go at the opposition.

That said a lot to me at the time, and resonates now.

Do we not have to make a choice between a manager who will come in and win and lose, in equal measure, but with flair; and one who will grind out results, build from the back and gradually create a side capable of competing with the top four? As Mort said, it is only the great managers that can combine both - how many are available to us? How many are there currently working in the league for that matter?

Talking about stylish football is only going to heighten the expectations of fans when realistically nobody is going to come in and having us playing 'the beatuiful game' overnight. I'm not convinced Houllier ever would.

Yet again, we seem to be slipping back into the old pattern of wanting to run the club to suit the career of one man. Sticking him into some so-called 'learning experience' position with a view to eventually taking-over is only going to undermine the position of the bloke in charge.

If Shearer's the best available man for the job (and I'd rather him than Houllier), then give it to him and let him pick his staff like every other manager. If he's not the best available man, then forget about him and move on.

Anelka was average when at Liverpool, i wouldn't of paid £13m for him either.

He said no at the last minute to a £9m Bowyer as he felt there was something wrong with him.

Smicer help win Liverpool the CL likes so many of Houlliers signings, i think that goal was worth the money.

Cisse he never got to play, at the time Cisse was s*** hot, Rafa and injuries ruined that one.

Pongolle is a great player, made a profit IIRC.

Taore, Cheyrou were sold at a minimal loss.

Lost the lot on Diao though.

Good signings:

Henchoz

Hyypia

Hamman

Only reason he pulled out of Bowyer deal was because Bowyer made it clear he wasn't interested.

All the Pool fans i know both at the time and now would say they wanted to keep anelka

Agreed, Smicer played well in the final, still think overall he wasn't exactly a top signing though. As we won't be in any CL finals any time soon i'd suggest we are better off looking for players who perform a tad more consistently

I take your point on Cisse, he did look like he would be awesome

Pongolle is NOT awesome, not by any stretch. Failed at Liverpool, failed at Blackburn

Cheyrou was let go for free... £4.5m loss

3 good signings, one of which they stole off us... Not really the best record for about 5 years in charge?!

Houllier's transfer record is absolutely abysmal in English football - compare it to Mark Hughes (who i'm not overly excited about either and it's ludicrous).

Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Sinima Pongolle (and that other lad who came with him)

Smicer

Cisse

Traore

He wasted so much on those players as well, they weren't cheap buys. He made allardyce look like a genius!

Can someone please prove me wrong with a list of all the decent players he brought to Liverpool (under 35, so Litmanen and McCallister don't count!) and kept there (failing to secure anelka when they had him on loan, another error). I'm genuinely asking here, as i'd like to have my mind changed if it's likely he'll come in

In

Date  Player               From              Fee

July  Vegard Heggem        Rosenborg         £3.5m

Nov   Jean-Michel Ferri    Istanbulspor      £1.5m

Jan   Frode Kippe          Lillestrom        £700,000

Rigobert Song        Salernitana       £2.72m

Feb   Djimi Traore         Laval             £550,000

May   Sami Hyypia          Willem II         £2.6m

June  Titi Camara          Marseille         £2.6m

Stephane Henchoz     Blackburn         £3.75m

Sander Westerveld    Vitesse Arnhem    £4m

July  Vladimir Smicer      Lens              £3.75m

Erik Meijer          Bayer Leverkusen  Free

Dietmar Hamann       Newcastle         £8m

Mar   Emile Heskey         Leicester         £11m

June  Markus Babbel        Bayern Munich     Free

Bernard Diomede      Auxerre           £3m

July  Pegguy Arphexad      Leicester         Free

Gary McAllister      Coventry          Free

Nick Barmby          Everton           £6m

Aug   Christian Ziege      Middlesbrough     £5.5m

Sept  Gregory Vignal       Montpellier       £500,000

Nov   Danny Sjoland        West Ham          £1m

Dec   Igor Biscan          Dynamo Zagreb     £5.5m

Jan   Jari Litmanen        Barcelona         Free

May -

July  John Arne Riise      Monaco            £4m

Milan Baros          Banik Ostrava     £3.4m

Aug   Chris Kirkland       Coventry          £6m A

Jerzy Dudek          Feyenoord         £4.85m

Nothing really jumps off the page at you.

That's worse than i thought. That's a shocking transfer record!

Anelka was average when at Liverpool, i wouldn't of paid £13m for him either.

He said no at the last minute to a £9m Bowyer as he felt there was something wrong with him.

Smicer help win Liverpool the CL likes so many of Houlliers signings, i think that goal was worth the money.

Cisse he never got to play, at the time Cisse was s*** hot, Rafa and injuries ruined that one.

Pongolle is a great player, made a profit IIRC.

Taore, Cheyrou were sold at a minimal loss.

Lost the lot on Diao though.

Good signings:

Henchoz

Hyypia

Hamman

Only reason he pulled out of Bowyer deal was because Bowyer made it clear he wasn't interested.

All the Pool fans i know both at the time and now would say they wanted to keep anelka

Agreed, Smicer played well in the final, still think overall he wasn't exactly a top signing though. As we won't be in any CL finals any time soon i'd suggest we are better off looking for players who perform a tad more consistently

I take your point on Cisse, he did look like he would be awesome

Pongolle is NOT awesome, not by any stretch. Failed at Liverpool, failed at Blackburn

Cheyrou was let go for free... £4.5m loss

3 good signings, one of which they stole off us... Not really the best record for about 5 years in charge?!

Pongolle is class in Spain, and was instrumental in a very important win against Betis in the CL IIRC they year the won it. Some spanish team im sure.

Aye your right about Cheyrou.

But there's also Dudek, Riise, Babbel, Ziege, Baros (sold at twice the price) plus many more.

The CL winning team was mainly his. It dsoesn't matter if someone else was in charge of it because were only currently talking about his signings right now, and his signings won the Champions League.

Houllier's transfer record is absolutely abysmal in English football - compare it to Mark Hughes (who i'm not overly excited about either and it's ludicrous).

Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Smicer

Cisse

Traore

He wasted so much on those players as well, they weren't cheap buys. He made allardyce look like a genius!

Can someone please prove me wrong with a list of all the decent players he brought to Liverpool (under 35, so Litmanen and McCallister don't count!) and kept there (failing to secure anelka when they had him on loan, another error). I'm genuinely asking here, as i'd like to have my mind changed if it's likely he'll come in

In

May -

I'd have been happy with Hyypia, Henchoz and Riise at the time though tbh, wouldn't you?

Football management...hardly rocket science is it? We just need someone with enough intelligence to stick to a simple effective formation, play the most equipped player in each position and give them a long run there, sort out the wheat from the chaff and push on from there. If our next gaffer throws the Zog back into defense I think I'll give up on football for good.

Surely success and league positioning is more important than how many stand out signings he made in the transfer market?!

After all if the players he signed were really that bad then he wouldn't have won anything.

Hang on a minute, weren't Liverpool streets ahead of NUFC when SBR took over.  Within a couple of seasons NUFC finishin 11th twice, we finished 4th and then 3rd the season after, finishing a head of Liverpool.  So within 2 to 3 seasons we'd caught them up, when really under Houllier they should have been powering on and making it impossible for us to catch them.

In

Date  Player              From              Fee

July  Vegard Heggem        Rosenborg        £3.5m

Nov  Jean-Michel Ferri    Istanbulspor      £1.5m

Jan  Frode Kippe          Lillestrom        £700,000

Rigobert Song        Salernitana      £2.72m

Feb  Djimi Traore        Laval            £550,000

May  Sami Hyypia          Willem II        £2.6m

June  Titi Camara          Marseille        £2.6m

Stephane Henchoz    Blackburn        £3.75m

Dietmar Hamann      Newcastle        £8m

Mar  Emile Heskey        Leicester        £11m

June  Markus Babbel        Bayern Munich    Free

Bernard Diomede      Auxerre          £3m

July  Pegguy Arphexad      Leicester        Free

Nick Barmby          Everton          £6m

Aug  Christian Ziege      Middlesbrough    £5.5m

Sept  Gregory Vignal      Montpellier      £500,000

Nov  Danny Sjoland        West Ham          £1m

Dec  Igor Biscan          Dynamo Zagreb    £5.5m

Jan  Jari Litmanen        Barcelona        Free

May -

Milan Baros          Banik Ostrava    £3.4m

Aug  Chris Kirkland      Coventry          £6m A

Jerzy Dudek          Feyenoord        £4.85m

All the boldened players would have improved Newcastle if they were at us during a period of time that they were at Liverpool.

Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Smicer

Cisse

Traore

In

May -

I'd have been happy with Hyypia, Henchoz and Riise at the time though tbh, wouldn't you?

None of those were really that expensive either. he was clearly trying to build a squad of players.

Personally, of the overseas coaches I'd be happy with Van Gaal and I'd settle for Houllier.

Of the British lot, I'd prefer Shearer, perhaps with Newell. I'd rather not go back over old ground but I'd still prefer Keegan over Hughes, Redknapp or any of the other realistic British candidates, simply for the fact that it would generate a bit of atmosphere and be fun to go to again. One of the reasons KK left was the Plc, and I guess the fact that we're private again now is a factor in him putting himself forward (or at least not ruling himself out) this time.

I do think that because it's Ashely and Mort rather than Shepherd means we will have a greater choice.

If they are serious about Houllier, then surely they need to have a word with Cacapa.

When Houllier came in at Liverpool it was a total mess. He sorted it out with signings.

Here are the spends of him and Rafa:

In 3 and a half years

Rafael Benítez bought 45 players for £126,296,000

Rafael Benítez sold 47 players for £63,375,000

Net spend 63 million

In 5 years

Gerard Houllier bought 40 players for £125,400,000

Gerard Houllier sold 48 players for £60,675,000

net spend 65 million

So he spent £65m net to win 6 trophies, £65m from a team which was bog standard ordinary, very poor compared to a Liverpool standard, while Rafa's spent the same but with a trophy winning team with trophy winning players, got nowhere closer to the title, and fluked one CL and was handed an FA cup.

You can knock Houlliers spending but i hope he net spends £65m and wins up one trophy nevermind 6.

At Lyon he bought:

John Carew Besiktas £ 5m

Benoit Pedretti Marseille 

Sylvain Monsoreau Sochaux 

Tiago Chelsea £ 6.5m

Kim Kallstrom Rennes 

Jeremy Toulalan Nantes

Sebastien Squillaci Monaco 

Alou Diarra Lens

Milan Baros Aston Villa

Also he has a policy of bringing through youth players, before he joined Liverpool he was head of technical development for the FFF.

Guest Christian Hayne

As Chris Mort has mentioned the criteria for our new manager in his programme notes for tomorrows game, surely this must mean that no manager will be appointed until thursday at the earliest?