Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Guilleme Ballague (Spelling? - SSNs Spanish correspondant) said live about an hour ago that he thought Didier Deschamps may have been contacted.

French correspondent on TalkSport says it is not Houllier but Didier Deschamps that has met Ashley's people. 

Optimistic Nut will be pleased.

Guilleme Ballague (Spelling? - SSNs Spanish correspondant) said live about an hour ago that he thought Didier Deschamps may have been contacted.

French correspondent on TalkSport says it is not Houllier but Didier Deschamps that has met Ashley's people. 

Optimistic Nut will be pleased.

Just gone from 80-1 to 2-1  :yikes:

Wow. Ambitious move. Credit to Mort if this is true :thup:

He's a Shearer/Klinsmann/Van Basten type of manager imo. Not much experience but highly regarded in the footballing world. He'll also have quite a few contacts having played and managed in Italy, England and France. Had his Monaco team playing excellent football in the year they lost to Porto as well.

But, he does have a history of falling out with clubs he's managed (2 out of 2 for him) so that'll be worth taking into consideration.

Personally, of the overseas coaches I'd be happy with Van Gaal and I'd settle for Houllier.

Of the British lot, I'd prefer Shearer, perhaps with Newell. I'd rather not go back over old ground but I'd still prefer Keegan over Hughes, Redknapp or any of the other realistic British candidates, simply for the fact that it would generate a bit of atmosphere and be fun to go to again.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the appointment.

Not so fast...

I've heard from a good source Keegan is meeting Ashley tomorrow. £20m over 3year.

Info via one of KK's prodical sons.