Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

11 minutes ago, dorty said:

Keegan was the first footballer to break my geordie heart when he scored those two goals in the 74 final. I was eight :drool:

Dont forget " Keegan 2 Heighway 1 Liverpool 3 Newcastle none " ( David Coleman i think ) 🤓

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think anyone believes for a second that you wouldn't engage with it if you could 

:lol:

You just love squabbling man.

If you want to believe I think you're all secretly racist then fine. Have at it.

I had a really good exchange with @TheBrownBottle that day, who was the main person I was speaking to, and we came to a good understanding, so I'm not really worried tbh.

29 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Like saying there isn’t anything racist about preferring white male commentators to black male commentators. 

Lol chalk and cheese . Mens football male commentators . Dont try the you must be a racist bs with me lad 

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

:lol:

You just love squabbling man.

If you want to believe I think you're all secretly racist then fine. Have at it.

I had a really good exchange with @TheBrownBottle that day, who was the main person I was speaking to, and we came to a good understanding, so I'm not really worried tbh.

It's just interesting that you think the world's gone mad with everything except the one thing that you're affected by. And affected by to the extent that at one point you thought we were all secretly racist because of how your own experiences had influenced that. You'd think that episode would open your mind a bit to the other things you think are mad. That's all

46 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's just interesting that you think the world's gone mad with everything except the one thing that you're affected by. And affected by to the extent that at one point you thought we were all secretly racist because of how your own experiences had influenced that. You'd think that episode would open your mind a bit to the other things you think are mad. That's all

Man ... the whole clarification of the discussion that day was that I didn't think it was a racial thing, when I spoke about England fans on a wider scale.

And also, I never said you had all gone mad, regarding this current discussion. I just don't think these examples being discussed are evidence of a hatred for women.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Man ... the whole clarification of the discussion that day was that I didn't think it was a racial thing, when I spoke about England fans on a wider scale.

And also, I never said you had all gone mad, regarding this current discussion. I just don't think these examples being discussed are evidence of a hatred for women.

Have you ever listened to the Cum Town podcast?

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Fair enough :thup:

All he's done wrong is say something like that in a time when you're bound to get jumped on as being some sort of deviant for thinking it.

Its no different, to me, to how a lot of people thought Jonathan Pearce was a cringe inducing arsehole for going  'goooooooooooooooooal' and hamming up the the commentary when he first broke through (C5). It didn't transfer from local radio.

Especially as commentary in general is pretty much at its nadir these days.

They're almost all bad to me, almost no persoal opinion, critiques, anecdotes, quotes yet much more talking. Does't mean I'm all kinds of prejudices.

Guy Mowbray used to work for Sun FM, for all I know is a mackem but he's one of the few I exempt.

I cant get away with Robyn Cowan. But I can't Ian Crocker, Darren Fletcher or Steve Wilson either.

Edited by Jonas

On 05/10/2023 at 23:16, Chris_R said:

Read back, I've never said I'm right. These are opinions, they can never be "proven" which is what you need to be able to do to be right.

But my opinions on certain topics just aren't negotiable. I won't debate racists, homophobes or sexists because there is never and will never be any room in my world view for racism, homophobia or sexism. I will however always call people out for those views because I think they're abhorrent and we have a duty to call such things out when we see or hear them. That's what I've done here on the topic of sexism. If you want to call me narrow minded for that, well, erm, crack on I guess?

As above, read back - I've never called anyone a woman hater. But people seem to not want women commentating just because they're women, which is at least a bias against women for just being women. That's sexism, not hatred of women.

Some people have tried to say it's not sexism because they like established voices or because those people haven't played at what they consider a high enough level, but when challenged on new male commentators or old pundits who've not played at the highest level, they go suspiciously quiet. Which just leads back to it being because they don't want them commentating because they're women, which is sexist.

Any blanket "I don't want women doing this" is sexist. If it's not because they're women, don't mention women. Say you don't want people commentating for reasons other than their gender if their gender isn't the thing you have issue with. But that's not what's happened.

My apologies for my late reply, I've been busy (genuinely) 

Let's agree that Keegan said a lot of things, nearly all positive, but he's said one thing that in the eyes of many mean that all the positive stuff he said was meaningless - if you agree with that I can understand where you are coming from, absolutely. 

I do think however, it's very harsh to just put a line under his name as misogynist, or even a dinosaur. 

He has no record of misogynistic behaviour, and impressions would give you that he has been a role model father and husband. 

What he said can reflect badly, I think it could have been said better, but then again I don't think Keegan thinks a lot of things through, he never reads from a script. I think that's actually why we all loved him because he was upfront and honest. 

But I think he's started a discussion whether it's wrong or right, and it's a discussion which most people in the media are afraid to have. 

It seems, in general that his comments are very popular with a majority of people, even women. As far as I know this country is one of the most empowering countries for women to succeed, and I would be shocked if a majority of the country were pure women haters, it's not really plausible. 

However, like most ideas, they start out as good ideas, but then we can get over representation and then some people can't relate (I'm not saying me, I'm just saying people in general)

How would we feel if a woman took over from Eddie Howe? The logical answer would be if she's better and we win things then yes they wouldn't mind that, but then other people just could not accept it because in a male dominated sport they maybe want to see their heros as men? Or they just couldn't relate, or maybe they would see it as a forced appointment to enlighten the new world. 

I'm sure we all like the company of women and men. But personally if I'm not away with my other half, I'd rather go on a lads holiday (even at my age) then go away with a group of lasses. Even if they all like football and having a drink there's still part of me that would desire the company of men in them circumstances. That's a preference not misogyny? Surely? 

Maybe it's the same with going to the match, especially having a drink before and after the game? I like to vent...swear a bit, I'm not comfortable swearing in front of women, so then I feel i'm not able to express myself through the highs and lows. 

I actually noted the other night when I watched the highlights back after the match the female presenter couldn't get a word in or effectively do her job because Micah Richards and carragher were clowning around in lad like fashion, but from a blokes point of view it made it a better watch. Again they weren't mocking anyone or trying to steal her thunder....they were just displaying the traits of why men and women are different. 

What if we scrapped the men's team and just followed the women instead? Would that be ok? Afterall the lads have had 140 years in the centre stage. If you opposed that would that make someone a misogynist?

We could always just put the men's and women's league together? It would even help the debate with trans athletes (honestly not taking the piss!) You could argue that's the best solution if keeping both sports separate is unacceptable. 

A lot said there, my apologies.

I just think it's something that's up for discussion and it does more harm to shut it down.

Maybe Keegan will get the chance to expand on it at some point and might come out with something for more logical then what I said. But like I said his comments are very popular with the general audience (Inc men and women).

The media driven sanctimony obviously want him deleted from history, but that's not going to happen. He can't even be cancelled because he has no desire to work now in the game.