Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Guest Howaythetoon

Cole for us was like Ronaldo was for Barcelona, obviously nowhere near as skilful, but in terms of dynamism and impact and lethalness he was very similar IMO. He was never the same player at Man Utd. At Newcastle people said he was just a goalscorer, was he fuck, he was much more.

Cole for us was like Ronaldo was for Barcelona, obviously nowhere near as skilful, but in terms of dynamism and impact and lethalness he was very similar IMO. He was never the same player at Man Utd. At Newcastle people said he was just a goalscorer, was he fuck, he was much more.

:lol: Just nah.

Guest Howaythetoon

I meant in the wow factor, here was a 21 year old kid from Bristol City scoring 41 goals and looking every inch a world-class player. Everyone looked at Cole and thought wow, same with Ronaldo at Barcelona.

I'll always remember that day, our teacher stopped the class to let us listen to the radio. Taking my Andy Cole poster down was a dark day indeed :lol:

I was 5 when we sold Cole, I remember walking into school the next morning - I was in year 1 - and the big year 6s knowing I was mad for the toon asking me what I thought, told them what an outrage it was, I can picture where I was standing. Really was one of those big event moments of childhood, 'you remember where you were'.

That and when KK left,  my dad walk to my school and into the playground to tell me.

I'll always remember that day, our teacher stopped the class to let us listen to the radio. Taking my Andy Cole poster down was a dark day indeed :lol:

I was 5 when we sold Cole, I remember walking into school the next morning - I was in year 1 - and the big year 6s knowing I was mad for the toon asking me what I thought, told them what an outrage it was, I can picture where I was standing. Really was one of those big event moments of childhood, 'you remember where you were'.

That and when KK left, and my dad walk to my school and into the playground to tell me.

I was playing snooker in the Battle Hill club when I found out we'd sold Cole.

That and when KK left, and my dad walk to my school and into the playground to tell me.

I was playing snooker in the Battle Hill club when I found out we'd sold Cole.

lol.

wasnt it the entertainment complex then?

I was training to be an NVQ assessor at Newcastle college, lecturer took great pleasure in announcing it for some reason.

• 1 month later...

The Entertainers get a mention in Michael Cox of Zonal Marking fame's new book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixer-Story-Premier-League-Tactics-ebook/dp/B01N2QBCOJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493972663&sr=8-1&keywords=Michael+Cox

Basically he debunks the popular myth about our defensive recording being dreadful in the season we finished 2nd as the reason as to why we didn't win the title.

He was, even in the second tier, a bigger icon that Super Mac and Quinn, our later modern day super heroes and number 9s. Being black made him even more of an icon as he was the first and only (at the time) true black football superstar for NUFC.

You're clearly too young to remember Tony Cunningham then.

True superstar with 4 goals  :lol:

(According to wiki)

• 3 months later...

Am I reading correctly that HTT reckons Cole was a bigger hero than Supermac and mentioned Quinn along with Supermac?

As much as Cole was loved Supermac was on a completely different level of hero worship. I've never seen power and pace like it.

Guest firetotheworks

I love hearing descriptions of players that I didn't get to see. My lass's old man's great at it, he decribed Supermac as being as fast as Walcott and as strong as Drogba, and that Tony Green was 'hard to describe but the nearest I can get is a faster, skinnier more skillful Beardsley' which obviously sounds incredible.

I love hearing descriptions of players that I didn't get to see. My lass's old man's great at it, he decribed Supermac as being as fast as Walcott and as strong as Drogba, and that Tony Green was 'hard to describe but the nearest I can get is a faster, skinnier more skillful Beardsley' which obviously sounds incredible.

Pretty good descriptions of both players, though I'd add that Supermac wasn't the most skilful on the ball. He was limited in that way.

• 3 weeks later...
“There was always a build-up when there was a big game and at that point we were rivaling Manchester United. The whole country were talking about us, we had three thousand [watching] training, the city was buzzing.

I was always gutted I never managed to watch them train when I was kid. Imagine being able to go and watch them train man. It still seems odd that they trained on that bloody field.

Guest firetotheworks

I still remember going to the Odeon to watch matches because you couldn't get tickets. It's mad to think of the untapped potential that the city has when it has anything even approaching a successful football team.