Media trying to stir bad blood with Owen/Keegan already?

Rich

Jesus christ.

I know he's been w*** for us, but if he plays like he played last night, I have no problems supporting him.

Pretty much.

Owen was as good as gone with Allardyce here, but with a more attack minded, pass and move style of football he's now potentially a big asset for us.

He'll never be the player he was, simply lost too much of his pace. But he's a very intelligent footballer, has a great first touch and links the play very well. An attack minded team could give him the service he needs to be very effective again.

I fully expect him to get injured again soon though, sadly. :(

Can we not just leave the negativity to the wankers in the press.

Its no good continuing to single Owen out otherwise one of the pricks will pick up on it on this board and it will be the next big headling "Fans want Owen Out"

If he stays fit, I have no doubt that he will get goals in a Kevin Keegan team. England are just shit anyway - in my opinion that had little to do with Keegan - just yet another England squad incapable of playing together

Guest LucaAltieri

Jesus christ.

I know he's been w*** for us, but if he plays like he played last night, I have no problems supporting him.

Pretty much.

Owen was as good as gone with Allardyce here, but with a more attack minded, pass and move style of football he's now potentially a big asset for us.

He'll never be the player he was, simply lost too much of his pace. But he's a very intelligent footballer, has a great first touch and links the play very well. An attack minded team could give him the service he needs to be very effective again.

I fully expect him to get injured again soon though, sadly. :(

Also, under Allardyce he was missing sitters fairly regularly. If KK can instill some confidence in him we should have a new player on our hands.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

fukin hell boys! hes been injured, its not his fault, when hes come back, hes tried, so what if he wants to play for england more than us, truth be told, would you want to play for a team that doesnt play to your strengths and when you run out you have fans calling you a wanker, because tbh, id have told our lot to fuck off a long time ago, hes been treated like shit since the day he came here by us. He gets a big wage, but would you have turned it down, the fact is, his goal scoring record for us is still good, when he is fit, he does his job, now back the little fucka, get him back to full fitness, and he can fire us into the top 6. Becuase ok you say fuk him off, but the fact is, when fit, on his days, hes the best at what he does in the premiership, and you all know thats right

fukin hell boys! hes been injured, its not his fault, when hes come back, hes tried, so what if he wants to play for england more than us, truth be told, would you want to play for a team that doesnt play to your strengths and when you run out you have fans calling you a w******, because tbh, id have told our lot to f*** off a long time ago, hes been treated like s*** since the day he came here by us. He gets a big wage, but would you have turned it down, the fact is, his goal scoring record for us is still good, when he is fit, he does his job, now back the little fucka, get him back to full fitness, and he can fire us into the top 6. Becuase ok you say fuk him off, but the fact is, when fit, on his days, hes the best at what he does in the premiership, and you all know thats right

He played 10 games for us, got injured, and held off his return to make sure he was fit for the world cup. He got injured again and missed a season.

The following summer he was linked to various clubs, but refused to publicly commit himself to NUFC despite taking nearly two years of wages off us. Only stuck by us when no f*cker wanted him as he was damaged goods by then.

Guest Ridzuan

fukin hell boys! hes been injured, its not his fault, when hes come back, hes tried, so what if he wants to play for england more than us, truth be told, would you want to play for a team that doesnt play to your strengths and when you run out you have fans calling you a w******, because tbh, id have told our lot to f*** off a long time ago, hes been treated like s*** since the day he came here by us. He gets a big wage, but would you have turned it down, the fact is, his goal scoring record for us is still good, when he is fit, he does his job, now back the little fucka, get him back to full fitness, and he can fire us into the top 6. Becuase ok you say fuk him off, but the fact is, when fit, on his days, hes the best at what he does in the premiership, and you all know thats right

Yes and I 100% agree with everything you said there.Owen is a great player any team would be fortunate to have him and we should use his ability to the fullest extent now.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

He played 10 games for us, got injured, and held off his return to make sure he was fit for the world cup. He got injured again and missed a season.

The following summer he was linked to various clubs, but refused to publicly commit himself to NUFC despite taking nearly two years of wages off us. Only stuck by us when no f*cker wanted him as he was damaged goods by then.

fact is, he was honest, why would he come out with all the crap that he was going to stay, when we all know, given his talents, he is too good to be playing lower premier league football. You cant blame the guy, i would want myself in the shop window after a year with souness and a year with roeder, infact, id buy myself out of my contract to save myself the misery. Hes fit, lets back him now, let him find his feet, and do what he does best. And with regards to holding his return, what on earth did we have to ply for to be honest? if i had the choice of jogging round getting my legs kicked in a meaningless game, or waiting to get fitter and have better muscle strength to go to a world cup with my country, i know which id choose. At the end of the day, everybody else would have done the same, all that matters is that hes ours, and on his day, he will decide whether we take 1 point home or 3, and if you want him to go so bad, who are you going to bring in? because martins and smith arent going to get u the goals, and there arent many strikers out there of his calibre

Guest rebel_yell12

You know, I'm not a native Geordie, nor a long term fan of Newcastle United.  I am, in fact, a very big fan of Michael Owen (which is how I got interested in NUFC, I'm still a Liverpool fan when it comes to club).  I can't believe the sh** on this thread.  Owen played very well tonight.  He's ALWAYS needed a few matches after an injury, so this could be the start of a real streak for him.  Slagging him off now seems ridiculous.  Michael Owen is a world-class player (ask abroad, honestly) and Newcastle is NOT a world-class club although they do have great ambition.  How can Newcastle fans want rid of one of their club's finest players?  And anyone who looks at Newcastle's team sheet, and doesn't think Owen is a cut above the majority of his teammates, needs to have their head checked. 

And Keegan?  I'm waiting to make any judgment.  Personally, I think it's a move backwards rather than forwards.  I could easily be proven wrong.  If it were Liverpool, bringing back Roy Evans, I'd be apprehensive.  And if it required flogging one of our best players, I'd be even more apprehensive.  But I'd also like to think that Owen and Keegan could be professionals.  Both have had 7 to 8 years since the events of that book to grow and mature.  And surely Keegan has a lot more serious issues to sort out than Michael Owen (the midfield f***-up for one).  At the end of this season, maybe Liverpool will get a new manager and our St. Michael can come home from his stupidly self-caused exile.  You can have Crouchy and Voronin or something in return, plus a couple mil.  They are more the sort you lot would like, right? 

You know, I'm not a native Geordie, nor a long term fan of Newcastle United.  I am, in fact, a very big fan of Michael Owen (which is how I got interested in NUFC, I'm still a Liverpool fan when it comes to club).  I can't believe the sh** on this thread.  Owen played very well tonight.  He's ALWAYS needed a few matches after an injury, so this could be the start of a real streak for him.  Slagging him off now seems ridiculous.  Michael Owen is a world-class player (ask abroad, honestly) and Newcastle is NOT a world-class club although they do have great ambition.  How can Newcastle fans want rid of one of their club's finest players?  And anyone who looks at Newcastle's team sheet, and doesn't think Owen is a cut above the majority of his teammates, needs to have their head checked. 

And Keegan?  I'm waiting to make any judgment.  Personally, I think it's a move backwards rather than forwards.  I could easily be proven wrong.  If it were Liverpool, bringing back Roy Evans, I'd be apprehensive.  And if it required flogging one of our best players, I'd be even more apprehensive.  But I'd also like to think that Owen and Keegan could be professionals.  Both have had 7 to 8 years since the events of that book to grow and mature.  And surely Keegan has a lot more serious issues to sort out than Michael Owen (the midfield f***-up for one).  At the end of this season, maybe Liverpool will get a new manager and our St. Michael can come home from his stupidly self-caused exile.  You can have Crouchy and Voronin or something in return, plus a couple mil.  They are more the sort you lot would like, right? 

So you support two clubs?

Fuck off, and take you're wank post with you.

Guest rebel_yell12
Posted on: Today at 02:19:31 AMPosted by: PegasusBridge

f*** off, and take you're w*** post with you.

I've always had a bit of a "soft spot," I suppose, for Newcastle United -- sorry if that bothers you for some reason.  I used to have a lot of respect for the fans there, and still do for the most part (there are obnoxious asses in every club's stands -- Liverpool at least as many as any other, I admit).  I've been a fan of Owen since he was 17, so yes, I take more notice of Newcastle now that he is a player for your club. 

Oddly, PegasusBridge, I was rather agreeing with your earlier post -- that Owen played well and if he continues to do so, I don't understand the "f***ing sh** c***, f*** off" posts from this thread.  Owen can be frustrating, he's very streaky and even when not battling serious injuries he tends to minor strains and the like.  He's still mint, IMO.  And as I said, it's been 7-8 years since the events described in his book.  Both men have changed, and thus it may not be a problem at all.  No one has ever said that a manager needs to be best mates with his players.  They just need to respect one another.

And you didn't address my concerns in the least.  Newcastle have returned to their manager from the late 1990s.  Is this truly the way forward?  I'd not welcome Liverpool's former manager back, it'd feel like reverse gear.  I'd like to see Newcastle do well, honestly.  I think the fans deserve something, after all these years.  The stroppy tone of your post is hardly conducive to adult & mature debate on the board.  I'm sure I'm not the only person here for whom NUFC is not their first choice club.  If you're reacting to my statement that Newcastle is not a world-class club, I'm sorry, but it's the truth.  Liverpool doesn't look much like one this season either (especially of late).  It's called being realistic, look into it.

Just a note, telling me to f*** off merely makes me want to hang about just to aggravate you.  I'm perverse that way.  Also, resorting to expletives, even if in abridged form, illustrates a lack of verbal acuity or perhaps merely a lack of the ability to rebut my points/address my concerns.  Maybe both.

I've always had a bit of a "soft spot," I suppose, for Newcastle United -- sorry if that bothers you for some reason.  I used to have a lot of respect for the fans there, and still do for the most part (there are obnoxious asses in every club's stands -- Liverpool at least as many as any other, I admit).  I've been a fan of Owen since he was 17, so yes, I take more notice of Newcastle now that he is a player for your club. 

Oddly, PegasusBridge, I was rather agreeing with your earlier post -- that Owen played well and if he continues to do so, I don't understand the "f***ing sh** c***, f*** off" posts from this thread.  Owen can be frustrating, he's very streaky and even when not battling serious injuries he tends to minor strains and the like.  He's still mint, IMO.  And as I said, it's been 7-8 years since the events described in his book.  Both men have changed, and thus it may not be a problem at all.  No one has ever said that a manager needs to be best mates with his players.  They just need to respect one another.

And you didn't address my concerns in the least.  Newcastle have returned to their manager from the late 1990s.  Is this truly the way forward?  I'd not welcome Liverpool's former manager back, it'd feel like reverse gear.  I'd like to see Newcastle do well, honestly.  I think the fans deserve something, after all these years.  The stroppy tone of your post is hardly conducive to adult & mature debate on the board.  I'm sure I'm not the only person here for whom NUFC is not their first choice club.  If you're reacting to my statement that Newcastle is not a world-class club, I'm sorry, but it's the truth.  Liverpool doesn't look much like one this season either (especially of late).  It's called being realistic, look into it.

Just a note, telling me to f*** off merely makes me want to hang about just to aggravate you.  I'm perverse that way.  Also, resorting to expletives, even if in abridged form, illustrates a lack of verbal acuity or perhaps merely a lack of the ability to rebut my points/address my concerns.  Maybe both.

Jesus shitting christ.

Who dreamt this clown up?

:lol:

In my view you are fully entitled to your opinion - your post was reasonable and well thought-out, so you won't get any complaints from me about that..

What you say IS true - NUFC are NOT a World Class club, but they should be ; 10 years in the hands of people who know nowt has put the club back amongst the also-rans and it will take much hard work to redress the situation.

Whether KK can still do this is an open question and we can only hope so - he has been appointed now, so we have to get on with it.

Michael Owen was a great player, is still a very good one, but has difficulty staying free from injury - if he did remain injury-free, there MIGHT be a remore chance of him returning to Liverpool, but right now I reckon they wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole at any price higher than 5m, if that...

You are welcome to take an interest in NUFC as long as any criticism is realistic - there is far too much parochialism on Tyneside and if we want NUFC to be a really big club, we have to get people from all over the world interested, not just those who think the world ends at the Tyne Bridge...!

As to the reaction of the media to all that has happened at NUFC over the past few months , I say this ;

They can thank their lucky stars that I am not the Chairman, because if I had been, there would have been many of them getting a real roasting from me at the Press Conference where KK is officially announced -

the disgusting crap which has been churned out by these brainless and self-important prats about both the fans and the club generally has really infuriated me, and if they think Fergie can dish it out, they haven't had a dose of what I would give them...

I would leave them in no doubt that those who had rubbished the club/fans were no longer welcome at SJP, nor would be until they could behave with both intelligence and manner - something I believe is beyond most journalists who are either liars or trouble-makers.

I saw a reporter interviewed on Sky about the KK appt., and he even said that KK left before because 'he couldn't get them higher than 4th..'  !! Have you ever heard such bull.!?? We actually finished 3rd in the first Prem season, and second in 1996 AND 1997, although KD had taken over by then..

NUFC has always been a newsworthy club, but I don't care about that - they can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned, and to quote our new and former manager, I would 'Love it, really love it' if we could start really doing well and stuff their smug words right back down their throats !!

He is damaged goods, simple as.

Two things:

1. Who cares what anyone else thinks about what "might" happen, or tension that "may" exist?  Some media members and outside fans will have a pop and a laugh, but what does it really matter?  Owen is a professional, Keegan is a professional - Keegan plays 10000% more attacking and entertaining football than BSA, Souness, or Roeder ever could, so a forward like Owen should be loving life right now.

2.  It is very likely that an older and more mature Owen, and a wiser, more refreshed Kevin Keegan will get along just fine.

Guest rebel_yell12
Posted on: Today at 03:17:17 AMPosted by: PegasusBridge  

Jesus shitting christ.

Who dreamt this clown up?

My parents.  I sprung, fully-formed, from their dreams.  They tried it the traditional way with my elder brother, but it just didn't work out as well.  Then they sent me to university for a series of degrees, so it's their own fault I'm an overly-educated, pedantic git.  Also, honestly, is it possible to not utilize expletives in response to a reasonable post?  I'm all for swearing like a sailor on the appropriate occasion but otherwise it's just a sign of ignorance and/or disrespect.  

All this because I agreed with you.  I wonder what would happen if I actually tried to disagree.  Surely you'd die of an apoplectic fit, while typing a rapid series of expletives and asterisks in response.  

Merlin -- I quite agree with you about the journalists.  Newcastle gets unfairly singled out, in my opinion, for negative attention from the press.  For instance, they've been trying to unsettle Owen right from the start it seems.  Every window it's been all about Owen leaving (Owen has even said that it aggravates him, but he can't stop it from being written) and constant references to him being unhappy or the like.  Keegan's not even been in his post 24 hours, and it's started up AGAIN.  And like you, I'd love to see Newcastle stick it to everyone telling the Geordie's to lower their ambitions by doing quite well in the second half of the season.  Newcastle SHOULD be among the best clubs in England -- and the "leadership" of the last 10 years, for the most part, has hamstrung NUFC.  Hopefully, some consistency will aid in that reversing that trend.  While I am apprehensive about the appointment of Keegan, it could work out quite well.  I hope it does.  I'm just concerned that going to the past isn't the way forward, as I said before.  Keegan needs time, now he's got the job.  Hopefully, since Keegan IS Ashley's appointment, he will get that time.

Memphis -- thank you.  Both your points were along the lines of what I was trying to convey earlier.  Apparently I'm not as clear as I would like.  Owen is not the same player he was (slower but smarter and more well-rounded), nor is he still a 19 or 20 year old kid who had probably never been heavily criticised before -- and Keegan WAS feeling all the pressure of an England manager around a major tournament.  The situation may be entirely different 8 years later, and at a club. 

Two things:

1. Who cares what anyone else thinks about what "might" happen, or tension that "may" exist?  Some media members and outside fans will have a pop and a laugh, but what does it really matter?  Owen is a professional, Keegan is a professional - Keegan plays 10000% more attacking and entertaining football than BSA, Souness, or Roeder ever could, so a forward like Owen should be loving life right now.

2.  It is very likely that an older and more mature Owen, and a wiser, more refreshed Kevin Keegan will get along just fine.

This.

Owens book quotes just make him look like an arrogant little sod, maybe he should of read it before letting his ghost writer send it out to get published.

I cant see any problems with Owen and Keegan arising, If anything MO will be sat thanking god he has a manager that will want to play attacking football and to his strengths again.

The media is just gutted that a) we arent all in Uproar KK has been appointed, b) we didnt get knocked out like stoke c) keegan is going to get alot of money and backing to upset some London clubs in the future.

Guest nufc_geordie

How old was he? 19/20?

I'm sure some adolescent angst can be brushed aside.

Owen was a lot more motivated  today than he ever was under Sam.

And maybe that is because of the reasons above. If Owen has history with Keegan then he is going to think he has to play twice as well to keep him happy. A motivated firing Michael Owen is exactly what Newcastle & England need. If on the other hand he whinges then don't let the door hit you on the way out Mickey!