Who do you blame for this summer's debacle?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i always thought shepherd wasnt a nice guy, but genuinely cared about the club and wasnt afraid to back his manager with cash - seems he hasnt done that this time though

i agree with s9 though, i just think surely we could squeeze a defender in.

There was that tiny cash amount of about 50 million that he gave to Souness that could just dent our pockets a little

Guest sunderlandsuck

when i see the vision west ham have had in this transfer window, i feel envious of a team that only came up last year and has a stadium that dosent even hold 40,000. we should be doing better, roeder talks about how transfers now are hard, WELL THEN WHY CAN OTHER BLOODY CLUBS DO IT. sheperd blatently hasnt given roeder an inch in the way of transfers, roeder is officially shepards bitch, and will take no bs from wor glenn, he did it last year for us with a shite team, but he wont do it again, sheperd just dosent see this.

when i see the vision west ham have had in this transfer window, i feel envious of a team that only came up last year and has a stadium that dosent even hold 40,000. we should be doing better, roeder talks about how transfers now are hard, WELL THEN WHY CAN OTHER BLOODY CLUBS DO IT. sheperd blatently hasnt given roeder an inch in the way of transfers, roeder is officially shepards bitch, and will take no bs from wor glenn, he did it last year for us with a shite team, but he wont do it again, sheperd just dosent see this.

It's not just West Ham. Look at Spurs: they've kicked our arse off the pitch in the last two seasons. They've got an excellent management structure in place and a transfer policy that seems to be reaping rewards. Their squad looks very good. I'l not even bother mentioning Liverpool.

Pointing the finger of blame is stupid imo.

Last year Fred rolled the dice on Owen, it was a big gamble and one that he had to cover with what turned out to be a shocking side bet. This years punting has been fucked about by Chelsea's saga with Arsenal.

Owen's injury has crippled us (and him) so most of this summers events i will put down to chance and the bets that were placed just not coming off.

There are no certainties in this game, its a mixture of luck and money, something we seem to be short on given the extent of Owen's knee injury.

If we sign someone tonight is everyone going to be happy? if so, does that mean we are one player short of a proper squad? No.

I will echoe the sage-like AS9's sentiments, this is a building job after souness and that means we should not panic buy.

Pointing the finger of blame is stupid imo.

Attributing blame is fucking necessary in my humble opinion. If we are looking to compete, and we stay as we are, heads should roll.

Fair enough. You may need to attach blame for psychological reasons.

However, blame culture in business organisations is detrimental in my vastly experienced opinion  bluebigrazz.gif

Nah, the main point is blame for what? Its results that count not whether we get Bridge at 11.58 tonight. I think i will address the blame question after the results fuck us up not before.

I blame both but if I have to pin it on somebody its definitely Roeder.

Given our poor financial state, 15M is a lot and I don't think we could have asked for more from Freddy. Its Roeder who has to decide how best to spend that 15M given the weaknesses in our squad and he has failed miserably. If we are not getting any defenders because we have no money, then either Roeder should have some of those freebies or get some on loan (I know they are not that great and Trabelsi and Campbell comes with some baggage....but they are miles better than our lot). Failing that he should not have agreed to the Duff deal, Duff is great but not at the expense of neglecting our defence. If Freddy forced it upon him (which is off course just speculation), then he should have stood his ground. We needed a manager who is strong, unfortunately Roeder is anything but strong.

I've always said appointing him was a big mistake, I've not reached the point of wanting him sacked, but his transfer dealings has pushed him one giant step towards that in my estimation. 

I don't see how anyone can really know what went on.  Knowing Shepard, he could well have gone straight over Roeder's head and brought in his typical glamour signings.  If we knew for a fact that Roeder's plan all along had been to bring in these 3 players, and that was all, then OK, we can blame him, but there's no way to tell whether or not that's the truth.  A lot of people have been saying that Roeder seems like he doesn't have a plan, or that Roeder doesn't know what he's doing, or that Roeder can't attract big names.  But in reality, it's speculation, fueled by the media, and their speculation.  Considering who the leader of this football club is, we can really only truly blame one person, because it was either his transfer policy or his appointment that made a mess of this transfer period.

But there's still way too much doom and gloom.  If we get it right attacking-wise, we're going to score a lot of goals this season.

Guest Filflop

Sheperd if him and Dougy werent fleecing the club out of £££'s we might be able to get some players in,

Also i can understand Boro not wanting to deal with us if we where blatantly trying to hijack the Huth deal, saying that Huth and Viduka could have been signed months ago, Its a complete farce up there get rid of the Greggs Muncher,

Only person that i feel sorry for is Milner and a bit for Roeder ive got a feeling he is just going to be a fall guy, stop gap manager  blueupset.gif

Guest Ridzuan

Freddy should be blame without a doubt.He always thinks of himself first and not the club.If he loves the club,then he should have let the takeover bid to happen but I guess his brain is too fat for him to think correctly.

It seems to me that what has happened this summer is the fruit of two major blunders that the club has made. The first was to pay way over the odds for Owen, in transfer fee and wages, which has then had an impact on our room for manouevre on other options, regardless of whether Owen stayed fit or not.

The second was to keep Shearer as a first team regular, right up to the point of his retirement. Not only did that affect performances on the pitch, but it made it very difficult to plan for the post-Shearer era in the striking department, as Roeder himself has now admitted. I also think the whole situation led indirectly to Souness and Roeder's appointments, in that many managers were, in all probability, put off from considering the club.

Both areas should have been pure footballing decisions, but I think Shepherd got himself heavily involved, and I would blame him for the amateurish way we approached both issues.

Guest The Fox

The point is if Roeder is a failure then Shepherd will be responsible for appointing 4 failures out of 5.

However some will say its not his fault as they looked good on paper (Dalglish, Gullit).

However the Chairman and Boards of other big clubs, and that is who we should be comparing ourselves with not the also rans which we are becoming, manage to apoint quality Managers who bring in quality players.

So something is wrong somewhere.

Guest elbee909

The point is if Roeder is a failure then Shepherd will be responsible for appointing 4 failures out of 5.

And we can only wonder if Robson would have been appointed if he wasn't a Geordie.