Who do you blame for this summer's debacle?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Gemmill

One things for certain, we are gunna struggle defensively this season, well at least until january, if we had bought a couple of defenders i think everything would be fine and we would all be looking forward to the rest of the campaign, my feeling is that the right players for our club werent available for one reason or another, but i must say i do blame the manager and the chairman for not doing something about our defence sooner, that is the key area on the pitch, always has been and always will be until we start building a team from the back and not the front as we always do.

If the right players weren't available and we bought no-one defensively, does that mean that Sibierski was the right player for midfield? Because i doubt that very much. Lets stop making excuses for him, Roeder biffed it up.

Exactly.  No matter how you look at the defender/striker cock-up, the Sibierski signing was so obviously a last minute "anyone going spare?" conversation that Shepherd and Roeder have had with Willy McKay. As far as I'm aware we have wasted a fee on him, and we will be wasting several hundred thousand pound paying his wages over the course of the year.  Why add so unnecessarily to the wage bill?

One reason:  just to get SOMEBODY through the door.  That's the sort of incompetence we are dealing with here.  There is no football sense in this decision.  He was just cheap and it's someone to point at and say "look, we signed HIM."  Pathetic.

if McKay is indeed Sibierski's agent then i can't imagine that the situation was anything but that. it shows how backward our entire approach to transfers is. the backwardness stems from Roeder's naivety & lack of knowledge as well as Shepherd's predilection for cronyism. Other clubs, Pompey and Wigan for instance, picked up free transfer and loan targets on the last day that are vastly superior to Sibierski - Todorov (who has been in good form), Andy Cole and Douala.

I can't see Shepherd's approach ever changing, but Roeder has to learn from this. don't put all your eggs in one basket cos that leaves you desperate when your initial targets don't work out. try to get your signings done in good time. and have a back-up plan!

Don't think I've read such speculative rubbish since your last post.  You just make stuff up as you go along. Ignorant, tbh.

So when exactly do you think we identified Antoine Sibierski as a summer transfer target?  How soon do you think he came into Roeder's thinking?  Do you think that prior to when he woke up yesterday morning that he'd even considered the prospect of signing him, because I think you'll be in a very small minority if you do?

One things for certain, we are gunna struggle defensively this season, well at least until january, if we had bought a couple of defenders i think everything would be fine and we would all be looking forward to the rest of the campaign, my feeling is that the right players for our club werent available for one reason or another, but i must say i do blame the manager and the chairman for not doing something about our defence sooner, that is the key area on the pitch, always has been and always will be until we start building a team from the back and not the front as we always do.

If the right players weren't available and we bought no-one defensively, does that mean that Sibierski was the right player for midfield? Because i doubt that very much. Lets stop making excuses for him, Roeder biffed it up.

Exactly.  No matter how you look at the defender/striker cock-up, the Sibierski signing was so obviously a last minute "anyone going spare?" conversation that Shepherd and Roeder have had with Willy McKay. As far as I'm aware we have wasted a fee on him, and we will be wasting several hundred thousand pound paying his wages over the course of the year.  Why add so unnecessarily to the wage bill?

One reason:  just to get SOMEBODY through the door.  That's the sort of incompetence we are dealing with here.  There is no football sense in this decision.  He was just cheap and it's someone to point at and say "look, we signed HIM."  Pathetic.

if McKay is indeed Sibierski's agent then i can't imagine that the situation was anything but that. it shows how backward our entire approach to transfers is. the backwardness stems from Roeder's naivety & lack of knowledge as well as Shepherd's predilection for cronyism. Other clubs, Pompey and Wigan for instance, picked up free transfer and loan targets on the last day that are vastly superior to Sibierski - Todorov (who has been in good form), Andy Cole and Douala.

I can't see Shepherd's approach ever changing, but Roeder has to learn from this. don't put all your eggs in one basket cos that leaves you desperate when your initial targets don't work out. try to get your signings done in good time. and have a back-up plan!

Don't think I've read such speculative rubbish since your last post.  You just make stuff up as you go along. Ignorant, tbh.

since my last post? ooh, handbags!

i'll tell you what, i'll let you have a look at my dictionary, and you can look up the definition of "If". then you'll be sorted and ready to talk to grown-ups!

For me, it's the club generally.

I suspect the quality of signings we made is quite a lot down to the prevailing uncertainty caused by:

(a) Freddie Shepherd generally being an arse

(b) Glenn Roeder having negligible "pull factor" for top quality players

© Hints of possible takeovers meaning FFS & others not wanting to splash out too much

(d) We're still feeling the Souness hangover

(e) Our finances are pretty fucked, possibly...

Or alternatively, it could just be down to the fact that we're not a glamorous club like we were a few years back.

For me, it's the club generally.

I suspect the quality of signings we made is quite a lot down to the prevailing uncertainty caused by:

(a) Freddie Shepherd generally being an arse

(b) Glenn Roeder having negligible "pull factor" for top quality players

© Hints of possible takeovers meaning FFS & others not wanting to splash out too much

(d) We're still feeling the Souness hangover

(e) Our finances are pretty fucked, possibly...

Or alternatively, it could just be down to the fact that we're not a glamorous club like we were a few years back.

Pompey and Boro aren't glamorous clubs, but they managed to either get players we wanted, or get players we should've been after. we also managed to get in two high-profile players so there's still a glimmer of attraction. i'm not entirely sure it is down to Roeder's 'pull-factor' either, since he didn't play a role in transfer negotiations. it might play a part that is isn't a huge name, but i can't see many busting a gut to play under Redknapp or Southgate either.

I suspect a lot is down to Roeder's inexperience and the fact that he'd been out of top-level football for a number of years. Unlike most other managers, he's not going to have a ready-made list of players he knows who can do a job at this level. he probably knows dozens of teenage kids with potential, after working at that level, but it will take him a while to build up a similar network at senior level. that is probably why he was scouting through the summer and up until late August. However if he is still doing the same in January, i'd say he's just plain crap in the transfer market.

Unlike us, I'm sure Roeder knew what sort of money he was working with. If he knew he only had £15m then to spend it all on Duff and Martins was stupid and he has brought this on himself.

Well that's assuming that Roeder did know. According to Sir Bob, Freddie is very secretive on transfer and financial issues.

But even assuming that he was fully in the know, I think the bigger picture is that the budget turned out to be £10 million plus whatever could be raised on sales. Now that's not great for a club with our turnover, and considering we spent nothing in January. As I said, there was this massive gap in the striking department, with Shearer retiring and Owen's injury. I think we were right to prioritise that area.

I daresay every one of us would have wanted to divvy up the budget in a different way, and have our own ideas which would be different from Roeder's. But Roeder entered a situation where a lot of money had been spent unwisely in the recent past, and there hadn't been any sensible planning previously in the striking department. That inevitably restricted his room for manouevre.

Guest Knightrider

After finishing 14th we signed Luque, Emre, Parker and Owen so it's got nowt to do with whether we are glamorous enough or not. Still glamorous enough to sign Duff as well. We've fucked up in the transfer window because the Chairman and manager are fucking clueless in the transfer market, like bill and ben the flower pot men those two.

Terrible if we only finish half way in the league isn't it ?

Commit suicide will you ?

Still, you can always stop going if you aren't happy. Poor thing.

Too many people supported Souness, in my view, thats why he stayed so long - its obvious the club take loads of notice of these message boards  :lol:

What's your opinion of the idiots who supported Souness regardless of his past record?

We knew it was going to go wrong yet so many wouldn't listen.

Too many people supported Souness, in my view, thats why he stayed so long - its obvious the club take loads of notice of these message boards  :lol:

What's your opinion of the idiots who supported Souness regardless of his past record?

did you ?

You might have done, so did I, but its also a fact that many people [on here and not] fully supported the board throwing money at the idiot until he had his own team. In my opinion, those who supported that, cannot now moan on abouit the club not being able to buy quality players now there is not much money left, as they were told this would happen, although on the other hand they would just call them "trophy players" anyway.

Those who think we shouldn't buy "trophy players" should, in my opinion, piss off and go and support teams that don't buy them. Seriously. There are plenty around.

Honestly, I've seen some daft ideas and rumours in my time, but this phrase "trophy players" is the most absurd and stupid thing I've ever heard peddled.

Guest thompers

did you ?

You might have done, so did I, but its also a fact that many people [on here and not] fully supported the board throwing money at the idiot until he had his own team. In my opinion, those who supported that, cannot now moan on abouit the club not being able to buy quality players now there is not much money left, as they were told this would happen, although on the other hand they would just call them "trophy players" anyway.

Those who think we shouldn't buy "trophy players" should, in my opinion, piss off and go and support teams that don't buy them. Seriously. There are plenty around.

Honestly, I've seen some daft ideas and rumours in my time, but this phrase "trophy players" is the most absurd and stupid thing I've ever heard peddled.

So do you think we signed Duff because the left side of midfield was a priority, or because a big name was available and on the market? Would you rather £5m be spent on a right back or left back, for example, and then left the wing for N Zogbia?

did you ?

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

I can hardly believe that bit, I thought my memory was bad.

Anyway, what do you think of the idiots who supported Souness?

Guest thompers

Buying rule for successful clubs :  Buy players for positions in which your squad is weak.

Buying rule for Newcastle United: Buy big name players when available regardless of other positions in URGENT need of being prioritised.

Do you, yet, understand where the concept of a trophy signing comes from? Foolboy?

did you ?

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

I can hardly believe that bit, I thought my memory was bad.

Anyway, what do you think of the idiots who supported Souness?

course I remember  :lol:

..... where is Ozzie  :winking:

Buying rule for successful clubs :  Buy players for positions in which your squad is weak.

Buying rule for Newcastle United: Buy big name players when available regardless of other positions in URGENT need of being prioritised.

Do you, yet, understand where the concept of a trophy signing comes from? Foolboy?

i don't use the term, its just for idiots.

To me, they are either quality or not.

Sidestepping the issue once again.

Guest thompers

Sidestepping the issue once again.

Yep.

course I remember   :lol:

I might be wrong but I think Ozzie is about.

I thought the Souness supporters were deluded and thought he was going to bring success to the club although I don't know what they based that on.  Some thought he was the manager so they had to support him for that reason if nothing else, they were still helping to keep him at the club just by supporting him.

course I remember   :lol:

I might be wrong but I think Ozzie is about.

I thought the Souness supporters were deluded and thought he was going to bring success to the club although I don't know what they based that on.  Some thought he was the manager so they had to support him for that reason if nothing else, they were still helping to keep him at the club just by supporting him.

I'd be surprised if he has gone, I have my suspicions. Not that I give a fook anyway  :lol:

Guest The Fox

HTL,

I have justified my comments.

Shepherd has appointed only 1 partially successful Manager and even then we did not win a thing.

I rest my case m'lud :winking: :winking: :winking: :winking: :winking:radd

HTL,

I have justified my comments.

Shepherd has appointed only 1 partially successful Manager and even then we did not win a thing.

I rest my case m'lud :winking: :winking: :winking: :winking: :winking:radd

Still waiting for you to tell me the criteria upon which a prospective manager should be judged.......

I voted Shepherd and Souness because unltimately thats where the blame lies.

The unbelievable idiocy in giving the job to a man who had virtually destroyed Blackburn, buggered up a strong Liverpool, knackered Southampton and did no good south of the border was baffling. To bring in a "tough" manager to deal with empty headed yobs like Bellamy and Dyer and Jenas and their charver mates was using a maschin gun in the house to get rid of an annoying fkly - with the resultant damage to the house and the fly flying out the window (but one bloodsucking fly left in the damaged house - Dyer)

So thats the source.

But I wished I couldve chosen Roeder too.

This has proved what a lightweight in management he truly is.

I voted Shepherd and Souness because unltimately thats where the blame lies.

The unbelievable idiocy in giving the job to a man who had virtually destroyed Blackburn, buggered up a strong Liverpool, knackered Southampton and did no good south of the border was baffling. To bring in a "tough" manager to deal with empty headed yobs like Bellamy and Dyer and Jenas and their charver mates was using a maschin gun in the house to get rid of an annoying fkly - with the resultant damage to the house and the fly flying out the window (but one bloodsucking fly left in the damaged house - Dyer)

So thats the source.

But I wished I couldve chosen Roeder too.

This has proved what a lightweight in management he truly is.

Just about sums it up really, Fatty is to blame for most of the shite we are in now, it went down hill after SJH left, just look at the statistics.

I really think the only chance we had was to employ a world class manager to stabalise the club, it should have been Hitzfeld, no doubt about it. I believe he is still available why can we not get him in as an advisor or assistant or some capacity so we can kick on from this stupor we find our selves in.

The way most people feel after the deadline is that the fat one is now squarely in the sights of the supporters and needs to pull something out of the bag. There will be a revolt shortly mark my words, which will result in a take over or a change of the manager/chairman, if nothing changes!

For me it's down the the Fat Porky Pie and Roeder being a bit naive with scouting and watching of players to late or wasting his time on one player to late in the window transfer ie Kuyt, I thought Duff was a luxury we could have waited for till the end if he was availble if not no big deal because I would have been happy with Milner and Zoggs as our first wingers with Nobby and someone else who was cheap for back up our priority was clearly defence and one maybe two strikers clearly we needed two full backs and central defender. Roeders criteria of young and Premiership experience was a big mistake as other clubs have proven with their transfer dealings most being Foreign. So it all boils down to in the end Fat Porky Pie and Roeder.