Sam was right: Milner plays better on the left so one has to go

alpal78
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We all know that Sam committed some basic tactical flaws during his time (chief amongst them playing Zoggy at LB), but one area that he did get right was playing Milner on the left. I've noticed in previous games that Milner does not have the ability to whip an out swinging cross when playing on the right. This was especially highlighted in the game against Bolton when he had three chances to put in a cross within one move and messed them all up. When he was switched to the left (to allow Kezanga Lua Lua to play on the right), his cross (albeit not many coz he only had 10 minutes on the left) immediately improved. His in swinging crosses from the left are more accurate and inevitably more dangerous. Correct me I'm wrong, but I think most of his assist on the wing has also been from the left (doesn't he play on the left for England U21 too). Being right footed, playing on the left also allows him to cut inside and shoot with his right foot.

Now this obviously creates a dilemma as both Duff and Zoggy are LW too, it would seem that one of them have to go and my vote is for Duff who has really shown nothing much since his arrival (even taking into account his injuries). I get the feeling that Duff is past it whereas for Milner, there is still some hope that because of his youth that he can still improve. I say Zoggy for the LW spot and Milner as backup.

Sam wasn't right, because if Milner plays on the left it means we have no-one to play on the right, and it also means that N'Zogbia or Duff cannot play in their best position. the team is unbalanced and milner is keeping much better player(s) than him out of the side. he can't deliver outswinging crosses from the byline from the left or right side, his pace or ability to comprehensively beat his man doesn't improve from changing which flank he is on. his inswinging crossesfrom the left result in a good chance one in a blue moon. he's also far more predictable on the left, as he will come inside 99% of the time whereas on the right he at least has the option of variety to his game and is dribbling with the foot furthest away from his opponent so is more likely to beat him, rather than have to check, cut inside, slow down the play and congest the midfield. (not that he doesn't do this on the right, only marginally less so)

as it stands one of our first targets in the transfer market should be a right-winger to replace Milner

don't agree with the statememt that Milner can't play on the right.

Plus, N'Zogbia's showed that he plays better in the centre. when he plays on the left wing he has a tendency to cut inside and go through the middle anyway, so if Milner is to play on the left then why not play N'Zogbia centre. then get a new right winger.

and anyway, with Duff's injury record i doubt that he'll have a consistent string of games. so it's pointless to get rid of one of them

Sam wasn't right, because if Milner plays on the left it means we have no-one to play on the right, and it also means that N'Zogbia or Duff cannot play in their best position. the team is unbalanced and milner is keeping much better player(s) than him out of the side. he can't deliver outswinging crosses from the byline from the left or right side, his pace or ability to comprehensively beat his man doesn't improve from changing which flank he is on. his inswinging crossesfrom the left result in a good chance one in a blue moon. he's also far more predictable on the left, as he will come inside 99% of the time whereas on the right he at least has the option of variety to his game and is dribbling with the foot furthest away from his opponent so is more likely to beat him, rather than have to check, cut inside, slow down the play and congest the midfield. (not that he doesn't do this on the right, only marginally less so)

as it stands one of our first targets in the transfer market should be a right-winger to replace Milner

Agree with some of the things you posted, obviously I was not saying that Sam was right in playing Milner on the left at the expense of Zoggy. What I was saying is that Sam was right in deciding that Milner is a better LW than RW. I still stand by that because playing on the left at least gives him a chance to get in some crosses whereas I can't remember being impressed when seeing him play RW.

i agree that a new right winger would be great - but i don't think we should get rid of any of our current wingers. zoggy might play some games in the centre, duff is injury prone and milner can cover both flanks.

don't agree with the statememt that Milner can't play on the right.

Plus, N'Zogbia's showed that he plays better in the centre. when he plays on the left wing he has a tendency to cut inside and go through the middle anyway, so if Milner is to play on the left then why not play N'Zogbia centre. then get a new right winger.

and anyway, with Duff's injury record i doubt that he'll have a consistent string of games. so it's pointless to get rid of one of them

Not convinced with Zoggy in the middle. Think he is too small and I prefer someone who can thread passes through to the likes of Owen and Martins to play in the middle as opposed to a dribbler like Zoggy.

Guest Ridzuan

He plays better on the left because he has only played on the right for a short period of time and when he is on the left,most of the time,he will use his right feet to kick the ball so not much of a difference.Its his delivery that needs to be improve,not which position he is playing.

Particularly badly-timed suggestion since both Zoggy and Duff are looking better than ever at the moment. To get rid of either to make room for Milner would be a bad move IMO.

The bigger question is who we are going to bring in to provide an equal threat on the right?

Must agree, Milner looked far more dangerous on the left wing, whipping crosses in. I wouldnt get rid of any, I dont exactly think 3 wingers is too many, especially as Zoggy like to play in the middle.

I remember Duff playing on the right side a few times, maybes a MF of:

Milner Zoggy NEW Duff

Keep them all, give Keegan a chance to bring Milner and Zoggy on and reinspire Duff, truth be told we really need to buy another RW player. Milner is the only real option we have for the right wing so another right winger in will create competition for that place and should push softcore Milner on a bit more.

Guest Ridzuan

I think Milner has a huge potential ahead of him.He just need to perform consistantly well and I think he will be a great player for us in the future and I think it would be wrong to sell him.Maybe we can buy an experienced right winger in the summer to assist Milner because I think Geremi and Milner is just not good enough.

I think Milner has a huge potential ahead of him.He just need to perform consistantly well and I think he will be a great player for us in the future and I think it would be wrong to sell him.Maybe we can buy an experienced right winger in the summer to assist Milner because I think Geremi and Milner is just not good enough.

What potential do you see in him? Because it seems it's just a word people use for young players who aren't that good half the time.

Guest Ridzuan

Yeah I know,most of the young players nowadays are being described with the word 'potential' but I really do think Milner has the potential.He plays well for England U-21 team than he plays for us,he just need to be more composed and get his delivery right and I think he should be a great asset for us.

Yeah I know,most of the young players nowadays are being described with the word 'potential' but I really do think Milner has the potential.He plays well for England U-21 team than he plays for us,he just need to be more composed and get his delivery right and I think he should be a great asset for us.

Didn't really answer the question, 'potential' isn't listing areas a player needs to improve, i.e. his delivery, it's listing his weaknesses. I think, unless he moves inside, that Milner isn't going to be a top-class player because as a winger he just doesn't have enough for me. No guarentee that moving him inside will be the right move but his deficiencies (lack of pace, inconsistent crossing etc.) may be less of an issue there.

Unless they can make Milner run at twice his current top speed then he has no place in the EPL.

Plenty good central midfielders out there no quicker than him, and he's got the engine to play in the middle. Not sure he's got the rest to be good in there though. It's a massive disadvantage for a winger though.

From the match thread which not many people read beyond a point:

Interesting statistic in the Telegraph match report.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=O1S2LLXLO13SHQFIQMGCFFWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/sport/2008/01/21/sfnnew121.xml&page=2

Percentage of accurate passes:

Enrique 69%

Cacapa 91%

Taylor 85%

Carr 78%

Duff 86%

Rozehnal 72%

Owen 73%

Ameobi 73%

Milner 41%

Quite interesting. Lends some support to those who felt that Roz did well on Saturday. Made a few really canny passes from distance. He was the least of our worries.

Only Cacapa, Taylor, Duff, Owen and Shola passed the ball adequately for a player in their position then.