Big Al - 'Newcastle not the only club for me'

NoU

Alan Shearer has admitted he could work for a football club other than Newcastle United, his hometown club.

Shearer and Kevin Keegan have spoken about working together as the new Newcastle boss attempts to lift the club from Sam Allardyce's brief but unsatisfactory stint.

But Shearer - who is currently in Africa as part of Sport Relief - has not ruled out a coaching role with another team.

He told The Sun: 'Why would I say that Newcastle will be the only club for me?

'Yes, they are my club and I love them but it doesn't mean I could never work for anyone else.'

Shearer continued: 'I couldn't see myself working at a League Two club.

'But you can never rule anything in or out for good and you can never predict what will happen next in football.

'This time last week we wouldn't have been discussing Kevin Keegan as Newcastle manager.'

well, it looks to me he isn't coming to Newcastle this time around.

It will only be good for him to go somewhere else first and manage before coming here, though I think he would be a great assistant to KK.

I think he's after the Southampton job with Burley now favourite for the Scotland job, his wifes from down there and he's got a house down there.

He will take over here one day no doubt, but I think he would prefer to come here as manager and not as a member of another manager's coaching staff, he will need experience first though so taking another job is the only way he can get that.

Who knows though, Keegan may make him a good enough offer tot empt him here, because if he is looking at a job as a manger straight away he is going to have to drop down a few leagues first.

I think he is pissed off at not being offered the Newcastle job and these latest remarks are him spitting his dummy out. I read one article which says there is bad blood between him and KK. Goes back to Shearers testimonial when he asked KK to play. KK said he couldn't because he was on holiday in Florida with his family. The report said that Shearer was annoyed and has not spoken to Keegan since.

Guest nufc_geordie

Southampton are an ideal club for him. If he does a good job and gets them up then fair enough ala Keane at mackemland.

What would be best for the club; Shearer coming in as KK's number 2 and then later as number 1 once KK steps down, with the risk of it all going to hell and both of them getting sacked OR if Shearer managed a smaller champinonship-ish club first, getting some experience as a manager and later coming home to manage us, with the risk of KK bringing the club to hell without Shearer or Shearer making such a mess of his first club that he would never be considered as manager again (ie bringing Southampton to relegation and making half their players and staff leave or commit suicide) ??

There's no way he's coming here as manager. Mashley's made that clear, I think. I can see him taking over at a biggish Championship side and making a hash of it, tbh.

My concerns exactly...

Why concerned? I'd rather him fuck up a Championship club instead of ours. In fact, I'd rather him fuck up any other club other than ours. I guess this is part of the concern about his inexperience comes from as well. There is a possibility that he will be a disaster of a manager.

Guest Sniffer

There plenty of experienced managers around to fuck up our club..... following on from those experienced managers who have already fucked up the club.

There's no way he's coming here as manager. Mashley's made that clear, I think. I can see him taking over at a biggish Championship side and making a hash of it, tbh.

My concerns exactly...

Why concerned? I'd rather him f*** up a Championship club instead of ours. In fact, I'd rather him f*** up any other club other than ours. I guess this is part of the concern about his inexperience comes from as well. There is a possibility that he will be a disaster of a manager.

yet the qualities needed as a manager of a club like southampton and a club in NUFC's current situation are totally different.

My concerns exactly...

Why concerned? I'd rather him f*** up a Championship club instead of ours. In fact, I'd rather him f*** up any other club other than ours. I guess this is part of the concern about his inexperience comes from as well. There is a possibility that he will be a disaster of a manager.

yet the qualities needed as a manager of a club like southampton and a club in NUFC's current situation are totally different.

Did I say it wasn't?

I was just reponding to a poster who was 'concerned' about Shearer taking over a Championship club.

Some people seem to be under the impression that NUFC exists solely for the benefit of a certain Mr Alan Shearer Esq, it doesn't.

If he goes elsewhere and fucks up then that's a bullet dodged, if he comes in as Keegan's no. 2 and things go pear-shaped and he doesn't become manager then tough shit, if he never even gets a sniff of managing this club then that's no skin off my nose and it shouldn't really be any off yours either. If he does get the job and does well then great, but if he does shit then that's really bad because judging by what people on here seem to think he could take us down and barely a word of dissatisfaction would be heard. If he does become manager then he needs to be judged by the same standards as anyone else, otherwise we'd be in serious trouble.

Have you heard the phrase:

"No player/individual is bigger than the club"?

Well some people seem to have forgotten that - if they ever actually knew it in the first place!!

The people who are saying things like:

But what happens if he goes to another club and it turns out he's shit!?!?

And those that wanted him as manager and had no concerns about him having no experience whatsoever, believing he should be able to just waltz into the manager's job regardless of whether or not it was good for the club.

Some people seem to support Alan Shearer first, NUFC second.

Guest Sniffer

You are talking bollocks as usual.

Clearly you don't like Shearer, bit like Rennie, and have a chip on your shoulder about him.

Everybody recognizes that he has no experience. But when you've had the number of experienced managers we've had who have done fuck all, who knows what Shearer could do? Perhaps he would fall flat on his face or he may be just what we need along the lines of Keegan. Who knows? Clearly, experience is no guarrantee any kind of success at Newcastle.

People like you would just want him to fail.