The One Thing We Need, Above All Else...

Shak

Smith : Just supremely average at the end of the day.

He'd need to improve DRAMATICALLY to get to that level.

At the moment he's hovering around crap to VERY crap level.

Adebayor showed today how a quality forward can get a team out of a less than stirling performance. Clinical.

It wasn't that long ago - around the time of the last WC i think - when many members on this forum dismissed Adebayor as being 'a glorified version of Ameobi'.

absolutely true. The same with Drogba when started for Chelsea. People need to be more patient when it comes to African players. That's why I still got hope for Martins to shine under good influence (KK)...

Adebayor showed today how a quality forward can get a team out of a less than stirling performance. Clinical.

It wasn't that long ago - around the time of the last WC i think - when many members on this forum dismissed Adebayor as being 'a glorified version of Ameobi'.

absolutely true. The same with Drogba when started for Chelsea. People need to be more patient when it comes to African players. That's why I still got hope for Martins to shine under good influence (KK)...

]

Yes, he has loads of potential and abiltiy, but so far has not used them to his advantage enough. If he can develop some more brains on the pitch with good positioning, using his speed, making runs behind the defence etc and get some consistency he could be lethal. It's a lot of IF's but he scored well in his first season, he could easily improve that tally imo.

Keegan has compared a potential Shola Ameobi to Emmanuel Adebayor, and wonders why Shola cannot be as good as the Arsenal hit man. Keegan said today:

“If you look at Adebayor, what I would say to Shola Ameobi is what I saw of Adebayor a year and a half ago when he first came on to the scene is what I saw of Ameobi when he first came on to the scene.” “That guy has kicked on and Shola has had injuries and other little problems, I guess, but he is 26 now and I don’t think it is too late.”

“Everywhere you go when you see a performance like that, you can say to a player, ‘He is a similar size to you. Has he got more ability than you?” “Well, it would look so at the moment, but truthfully, I think Shola has got a lot of stuff packaged there that hasn’t quite come out properly yet.”

“People might say Alan was dominating when he was here - of course he was; so was (Thierry) Henry, but Adebayor has gone straight in and filled his boots.” “That’s not easy, that’s almost as difficult as filling Alan Shearer’s here.”

Keegan has compared a potential Shola Ameobi to Emmanuel Adebayor, and wonders why Shola cannot be as good as the Arsenal hit man. Keegan said today:

“If you look at Adebayor, what I would say to Shola Ameobi is what I saw of Adebayor a year and a half ago when he first came on to the scene is what I saw of Ameobi when he first came on to the scene.” “That guy has kicked on and Shola has had injuries and other little problems, I guess, but he is 26 now and I don’t think it is too late.”

“Everywhere you go when you see a performance like that, you can say to a player, ‘He is a similar size to you. Has he got more ability than you?” “Well, it would look so at the moment, but truthfully, I think Shola has got a lot of stuff packaged there that hasn’t quite come out properly yet.”

“People might say Alan was dominating when he was here - of course he was; so was (Thierry) Henry, but Adebayor has gone straight in and filled his boots.” “That’s not easy, that’s almost as difficult as filling Alan Shearer’s here.”

Adebeyor can head the ball, which is usually a big advantage for a big guy.

If you look at Adebayor, what I would say to Shola Ameobi is what I saw of Adebayor a year and a half ago when he first came on to the scene is what I saw of Ameobi when he first came on to the scene. That guy has kicked on and Shola has had injuries and other little problems, I guess, but he is 26 now and I dont think it is too late.

Everywhere you go when you see a performance like that, you can say to a player, He is a similar size to you. Has he got more ability than you? Well, it would look so at the moment, but truthfully, I think Shola has got a lot of stuff packaged there that hasnt quite come out properly yet.

People might say Alan was dominating when he was here - of course he was; so was (Thierry) Henry, but Adebayor has gone straight in and filled his boots. Thats not easy, thats almost as difficult as filling Alan Shearers here.

Adebeyor can head the ball, which is usually a big advantage for a big guy.

Also he doesn' get caught offside or give 100+ freekicks away per match!

He's a professional footballer. Match sharpness should have returned to him now atleast a little bit.

Right no he's about as sharp as cat fur. He offers nothing.

I did try to tell you this back in June, Yorkie. :smug:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=42018.msg892802#msg892802

baggy 1 yorkie 0

Not point scoring or owt like .........

I would reserve judgement on Owen and Smith until they have something better to support them tbh .........

must have missed that. Hoho. Would like to have seen it mind. There were plenty of people who said that this shambling wreck of a footballer would fill Shearers boots though.

If it hadn't turned out quite so badly I could raise a smile.

He's a professional footballer. Match sharpness should have returned to him now atleast a little bit.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=42018.msg892802#msg892802

baggy 1 yorkie 0

No surprise to see you picking up on my posts, flower. :-*

Guest The Libertine

ameobi has had at least 8 years and hasnt moved 1 step forward ability-wise, but of course, he's the next adebayor.

keegan out  blueyes.gif

He was looking good at the beginning of last season before his injury/surgery.

He was scoring goals and putting himself about a bit, but "looking good" might be stretching it a bit. He was certainly better than he had been before.

Nah, it would be better to leave him completely out of the picture, even off the bench when we're down to the bare bones and just hope he gets pissed off enough to leave. Just like Allardyce did.

I have no doubt KK will let Shola go at some stage but he'll (at least try and) do it in a way that will benefit all parties imo and, most importantly, NUFC.

baggy 1 yorkie 0

No surprise to see you picking up on my posts, flower. :-*

on the contrary, I think you talk just as much rubbish as always.

I AM however, curious to see if anyone lectures you for constantly posting "point scoring".

Never mind, you may get to see premiership football next year if Bristol City make it.

Cheers, and bye.

I would reserve judgement on Owen and Smith until they have something better to support them tbh .........

What rubbish.

Owen needs better players around him because he's a penalty box striker but Smith? The only reason he needs better players around him is to carry him because he's clearly not good enough and has offered us very little, even when up front.

Smith's 'style' of play isn't dependent on other players, Owen's is.

ameobi has had at least 8 years and hasnt moved 1 step forward ability-wise, but of course, he's the next adebayor.

keegan out  blueyes.gif

complete lack of desire and appetite obvious from at least game number 1

Keegan right to big him up to boost any transfer value some mug may pay us for him

Guest The Libertine

He was looking good at the beginning of last season before his injury/surgery.

for me, he's had 1 good, consistent 3 month spell when roeder first took over which, to be fair, the whole team did. 3 good months out of 8 years and he's still being talked up as a potentially brilliant striker.

oh, and the barcelona game too. he sure showed them.

I can see what Keegan means with his Shola-Adebayor comparison, even if Adebayor is more talented.

Shola has never learned to play to his strengths at all. You can see that managers have told him to be more physical but this just results in him giving away free-kicks all game long as he has no idea how to be more physical without breaking the rules of the game. He's a player who desperately needed a top class coach to teach him how to best utilise the talents he has got, as he clearly has no idea himself.

That's Wenger's greatest ability for me, seems to be able to teach players how to be the most effective they can be. Had Ameobi aged 18 fallen under Wenger's tutelage, I believe he'd be a pretty good Premiership striker. Not top class, but not the wreck he sadly has become at NUFC.