The One Thing We Need, Above All Else...

Shak

totally disagree....our main priortity aprt from a classy center back should be a creative goalscoring midfielder...someone who'l excite the crowd, create chances and score goals....but who the feck is that player because i can't think of any!! Any suggestions?

jason koumas  :coolsmiley:

genuinely.

Jesus wept. Genuinely.

was probably wigans best player for the short time he was on today and is more attack minded and creative than any of our current CM's. wouldnt cost much either.

If you think he's the answer you're out of your tree.

he's 1 answer, as in a squad player who'll do a good job.

actually, i now want diego or van der vaart or ashravin or pandev or mordic  :shifty:

http://pentaclerecords.net/darien3/oz_scarecrow_1.jpg

deeply sorry for having an opinion. i'll learn to blindly agree with others more often.

Christ, not that old chestnut. You've got a real chip on your shoulder about that. Pretty sad imo.

i have a differing opinion and i get at least 4 different people telling me im wrong, then basically mocking my posts. NSG was right, clique-tastic baby.

Apologies that we don't agree with your opinion that one of Wigan's reserves is the answer to our problems.

It's called debate. That's what this place is for. If you don't like it, you know where to go.

Back to the merry old land of Oz?

Things aren't always so merry in OZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iM4Ooc2B2o

Guest DONTOONER

A top class striker is papering over the cracks. As noted in the OP, Owen will score bags of goals given the right service. And there's hardly been a striker in the history of football who scored bags without decent service.

First and foremost, a side needs quality in midfield to dominate territory and possession. Buying a really, really good striker and telling everyone else to hoof the ball at him whenever they get it never got anyone to the top of the table.

my exact words....only a hand full of players could do the really good striker role and contribute as much to the team..... as stated by the thread starter.

To keep good possession we need either a good coach that plays to the style of keeping the ball, like any top team does or we need to buy players that will do it instinctively. Carrick, Frab, Deigo, etc.

This will be a long standing problem as long as

A : We Dont have the players therefore the coach will need to install a good complicated system of passing out of difficult situations while keeping the ball

Or

B: Buy Players to fit in the team that dont have a good system. And bloody hope that they are naturals with good footballing brains to move play along.

Guest The Libertine

Wigan squad players are just the sort of players we should be signing to improve our squad. Have I got that right?

koumas would do better from the bench than any of the players we've had on it recently, so in this instance, yes.

Wigan squad players are just the sort of players we should be signing to improve our squad. Have I got that right?

koumas would do better from the bench than any of the players we've had on it recently, so in this instance, yes.

Keegan's only interested in players who will significantly improve the squad. If you think he's a good player, fine. But it seems like you're backtracking now, i.e. saying he'd be a better option on the bench than we currently have.

Guest The Libertine

Keegan's only interested in players who will significantly improve the squad. If you think he's a good player, fine. But it seems like you're backtracking now, i.e. saying he'd be a better option on the bench than we currently have.

and if we cant get those players? woodgate looks to have fucked us off, same with wes brown. building slowly may be an option as much, as the "we've got loads of money, lets spend it all" posters hate to hear it.

"improving our squad" for me is getting in players who are better than our current squad. our bench in recent weeks has been crap and anybody coming off it rarely does anything of note (unless its a bad thing). the players who start aren't much better in the CM area either.

Guest ToonGeneral

I agree that a top class striker is a priority but not at this point in time. We need to midfielders, one defensive and one attacking. Today was a clear example of us lacking a box-to-box player. Someone like Stephen Appiah is the type of person we should be looking at and getting rid of the Butt's of this world.

I agree that a top class striker is a priority but not at this point in time. We need to midfielders, one defensive and one attacking. Today was a clear example of us lacking a box-to-box player. Someone like Stephen Appiah is the type of person we should be looking at and getting rid of the Butt's of this world.

good call on Appiah i remember him running Ghana's team at the world cup, haven't had a chance to see him in the african nations but watched a few fenerbache games last and this season and he has impressed me.

and i've got to agree with the masses, Michael Owen is finished, and giving him the captaincy is only going to make his form slide further down, he now knows that however bad he plays he has less chance now of being dropped then before he was club captain.

some of the chances he has missed this season, like the one against Stoke when Viduka put him in have been criminal, yet he is still spoken about as the top english striker in the EPL, too many players are overrated on there past performances and not there current form.

Owen is finished as a top-class striker. Anyone who thinks that the problem is 'the service' is kidding themselves.

Well what do you expect him to do without service, the fact is, there is fuck all service to both strikers. How do we expect to score without giving the strikers a pass? His link up is good, he rarely gives it away, and still does get into dangerous positions. What do you want from him? We're not even giving him half chances let alone clear cut ones, that is not down to Owen, it's down to shit behind not being able to keep the ball longer than 5 seconds. The only service he got today was that time Carr whipped it across and he was about 10 inches from converting it and a few floated crosses from Milner. Next to no players of his size in the world can be expected to constantly grind out chances from that.

Get a few creative players in the middle and a decent right winger and Owen will have you eating your words, no doubt for me.

Owen's not a bad team player, or at least he would be if he got it to feet.

He's serviceable in that department, but he doesn't worry opponents at all until he gets inside the box.

Plays quite well within himself. I'm really quite pleased with my Inzaghi comparison, sums him up well IMO.  :smug:

Guest Brendan_Rice

Adebayor showed today how a quality forward can get a team out of a less than stirling performance. Clinical.

Adebayor was the difference today, his confidence is high, he is strong on the ball and has a hunger that our forward line severly lacks.

Adebayor showed today how a quality forward can get a team out of a less than stirling performance. Clinical.

Adebayor was the difference today, his confidence is high, he is strong on the ball and has a hunger that our forward line severly lacks.

Really? Adebayor was the diffrence today? So by saying that you're saying if Adebayor was on our side we'd of won? Personally i thought the game was lost in the centre of midfiled, we were easily overran in the midfiled,  our attacks were broken down with ease and we didnt regain or retain posession well enough. 

Really? Adebayor was the diffrence today? So by saying that you're saying if Adebayor was on our side we'd of won? Personally i thought the game was lost in the centre of midfiled, we were easily overran in the midfiled,  our attacks were broken down with ease and we didnt regain or retain posession well enough. 

No denying that their midfield is better than ours, but even in the first half when we were well in the game and playing some good stuff we never really looked all that likely to score, due to the lack of real class up front.

You knew once Arsenal got going and got the ball into their strikers they'd score.

It's a bit of both tbh, but we desperately lack a genuine top class forward.

No denying that their midfield is better than ours, but even in the first half when we were well in the game and playing some good stuff we never really looked all that likely to score, due to the lack of real class up front.

You knew once Arsenal got going and got the ball into their strikers they'd score.

It's a bit of both tbh, but we desperately lack a genuine top class forward.

Well to be fair, in the first half we create a couple of chances, Smith had one off the line, Zog and Duff made a couple of decent moves down the left. I just dont see a top class striker making any difference to be honest. Owen is completely inneffective outside the 18yard box and if we arent able to pin teams in there own half and retain possession well enough we wont utilise him well enough. I still think he will score goals for us, i actually cant rememeber seeing him have any chances for a long long time now, how will any striker score without an chances?

Once the second half started Butt and Zog dissapperred, the number of times i saw Zog pull out to the flank was unreal, Fabregas would never find himself in the same position as Zog.  Aslo saw Cacapa make alot of tackles in the DM area.

A top class striker is papering over the cracks. As noted in the OP, Owen will score bags of goals given the right service. And there's hardly been a striker in the history of football who scored bags without decent service.

First and foremost, a side needs quality in midfield to dominate territory and possession. Buying a really, really good striker and telling everyone else to hoof the ball at him whenever they get it never got anyone to the top of the table.

control the midfield you control the game. Thats what we need right now,

Is a top class Center-Forward.

Not a CB, not a holding midfielder, not a midfield playmaker, not a right-winger.

As it stands we have nobody, absolutely nobody, that really worries opposing teams up front. Someone that can give us that little bit of magic in the penalty area and drop off and succesfully link the play between midfield and attack and create space and chances for his teammates, along with chipping in with a few goals of his own. It's the main reason why today, despite playing some really tidy stuff and putting a bit of pressure on Arsenal in the first half, we didn't actually look all that likely to actually score.

As it stands, these are our striking options.

Owen : The new Filippo Inzaghi. Offers almost nothing in terms of general build up play, but will score you bags of goals if he's surrounded by a team that will give him top service, as his movement in the box and finishing are quality.

Martins : Has the potential to score a goal from absolutely nothing, but his vision, touch and teamwork are all dreadful. Can't play through him at all as the ball is as likely to ricochet high into the stands as find it's way to a teammate.

Viduka : Actually the closest thing to what I'm talking about. But he's inconsistent, injury prone and at the tail end of his career. Would make a great back-up to whoever we bring in though.

Smith : Just supremely average at the end of the day. Does a half-decent job of dropping off from the front and getting involved, but just doesn't have the class or ability to open teams up or score enough goals to justify a regular place in the team.

Shola : Not good enough, sadly.

I think both Owen and Martins would benefit tremendously from a player like this alongside them, someone who will do the bulk of the work and allow them to come into the game sporadically rather than try and get heavily involved, which they struggle at.

Unfortunately, the odds of getting such a player at this time of the year are minimal. But come the summer time this has to be our number one priority, and if Keegan has the transfer kitty he's rumoured to have to bring in players, I'd be heavily in favour of spending a sizeable portion of it on one top class center-forward.

We can bring in all the playmakers and wingers we want, but we'll never beat teams consistently until we have this type of player at our disposal.

Suggested this at the start of the season and was roundly shot down by the way, let's see how it goes this time.  :lol:

I agree - whilst we did well in the first half at the Emirates, the ball just would not 'stick' when it came into the area because there is no-one there with the physique and holding skill to worry their defenders - Owen will get goals alongside such a player but as you say, Viduka is now a fading force and we need someone like Ashton who would harry defenders and take the weight off Owen, who is as much out of place as a target man as was Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Until we get such a player, we will continue to struggle to score goals.

we were linked with pandev the other day and someone likened his style to beardsley...this is what we need in my opinion if we're going to keep oba and owen

keegan will play 4-4-2 or more accurately if he has a beardsley type 4-4-1-1 and for me that would work best during rebuilding

we can't afford a gerrard, alonso, hargreaves, carrick etc... to dictate the play from the middle (maybe more accurately we can't attract them) as players like that are gold dust...the better solution for us would be to have the likes of barton/faye/butt being solid winning the ball and giving it to a player dropping in from up front to work some magic, we've got wingers who can stretch defences and in oba/owen 2 strikers with the ability to do the same

an elano if you will but more of a striker than a midfielder, as that's how i see elano - an attacking midfielder, i'd prefer a deep lying striker to that at this moment in time to recreate the cole/beardsley style partenership; one with the cheeky ability the other with the pace/finishing

that's my take on things, get a CB as good as faye and stick faye in the middle with barton (if he's not in jail) or butt and spend on a "creative" striker rather than an orthodox one...

Owen's not a bad team player, or at least he would be if he got it to feet.

He's serviceable in that department, but he doesn't worry opponents at all until he gets inside the box.

Plays quite well within himself. I'm really quite pleased with my Inzaghi comparison, sums him up well IMO.  :smug:

I don't think it does Shakster, as Inzaghi is far better than the current Michael Owen in my eyes.