The One Thing We Need, Above All Else...

Shak

Is a top class Center-Forward.

Not a CB, not a holding midfielder, not a midfield playmaker, not a right-winger.

As it stands we have nobody, absolutely nobody, that really worries opposing teams up front. Someone that can give us that little bit of magic in the penalty area and drop off and succesfully link the play between midfield and attack and create space and chances for his teammates, along with chipping in with a few goals of his own. It's the main reason why today, despite playing some really tidy stuff and putting a bit of pressure on Arsenal in the first half, we didn't actually look all that likely to actually score.

As it stands, these are our striking options.

Owen : The new Filippo Inzaghi. Offers almost nothing in terms of general build up play, but will score you bags of goals if he's surrounded by a team that will give him top service, as his movement in the box and finishing are quality.

Martins : Has the potential to score a goal from absolutely nothing, but his vision, touch and teamwork are all dreadful. Can't play through him at all as the ball is as likely to ricochet high into the stands as find it's way to a teammate.

Viduka : Actually the closest thing to what I'm talking about. But he's inconsistent, injury prone and at the tail end of his career. Would make a great back-up to whoever we bring in though.

Smith : Just supremely average at the end of the day. Does a half-decent job of dropping off from the front and getting involved, but just doesn't have the class or ability to open teams up or score enough goals to justify a regular place in the team.

Shola : Not good enough, sadly.

I think both Owen and Martins would benefit tremendously from a player like this alongside them, someone who will do the bulk of the work and allow them to come into the game sporadically rather than try and get heavily involved, which they struggle at.

Unfortunately, the odds of getting such a player at this time of the year are minimal. But come the summer time this has to be our number one priority, and if Keegan has the transfer kitty he's rumoured to have to bring in players, I'd be heavily in favour of spending a sizeable portion of it on one top class center-forward.

We can bring in all the playmakers and wingers we want, but we'll never beat teams consistently until we have this type of player at our disposal.

Suggested this at the start of the season and was roundly shot down by the way, let's see how it goes this time.  :lol:

Guest toonlass

Agreed, and if there is any manager in the world out there who will recognise this it is Shearer. Bob Moncur said the very same thing, that we need a damn good, experienced striker, who can actually score goals.

Agreed, and if there is any manager in the world out there who will recognise this it is Shearer. Bob Moncur said the very same thing, that we need a damn good, experienced striker, who can actually score goals.

Eh? :lol:

+1

Martins is class.

Poor management, shit service and lack of consistant/talented strike partners have severly held him back. Get some good service and an attacking impetous you will see him flourish.

However, he does need a partner.

Guest toonlass

Eh what? That we need a striker who can score? Not hard to understand like, is it?

Eh what? That we need a striker who can score? Not hard to understand like, is it?

But did Shearer whisper that in Bob Moncur's ear or something?

Is a top class Center-Forward.

Not a CB, not a holding midfielder, not a midfield playmaker, not a right-winger.

As it stands we have nobody, absolutely nobody, that really worries opposing teams up front. Someone that can give us that little bit of magic in the penalty area and drop off and succesfully link the play between midfield and attack and create space and chances for his teammates, along with chipping in with a few goals of his own. It's the main reason why today, despite playing some really tidy stuff and putting a bit of pressure on Arsenal in the first half, we didn't actually look all that likely to actually score.

As it stands, these are our striking options.

Owen : The new Filippo Inzaghi. Offers almost nothing in terms of general build up play, but will score you bags of goals if he's surrounded by a team that will give him top service, as his movement in the box and finishing are quality.

Martins : Has the potential to score a goal from absolutely nothing, but his vision, touch and teamwork are all dreadful. Can't play through him at all as the ball is as likely to ricochet high into the stands as find it's way to a teammate.

Viduka : Actually the closest thing to what I'm talking about. But he's inconsistent, injury prone and at the tail end of his career. Would make a great back-up to whoever we bring in though.

Smith : Just supremely average at the end of the day. Does a half-decent job of dropping off from the front and getting involved, but just doesn't have the class or ability to open teams up or score enough goals to justify a regular place in the team.

Shola : Not good enough, sadly.

I think both Owen and Martins would benefit tremendously from a player like this alongside them, someone who will do the bulk of the work and allow them to come into the game sporadically rather than try and get heavily involved, which they struggle at.

Unfortunately, the odds of getting such a player at this time of the year are minimal. But come the summer time this has to be our number one priority, and if Keegan has the transfer kitty he's rumoured to have to bring in players, I'd be heavily in favour of spending a sizeable portion of it on one top class center-forward.

We can bring in all the playmakers and wingers we want, but we'll never beat teams consistently until we have this type of player at our disposal.

Suggested this at the start of the season and was roundly shot down by the way, let's see how it goes this time.  :lol:

Yup.

Bit concerned about these comments about not being able to find players to buy as there aren't any available better than what we've got...The last bit is clearly cackola.

Well a top striker can make pretty much any team look good and we wouldn't be an exception. They tend to cost a little bit though and I doubt any would come here given we are currently bottom half material. I think Kev would be better served giving the youth a run at the moment than persisting with Smith and Ameobi.

Nah. Our manager Alan Shearer will sort us out, no worries.

Try and nick Jones off the scum, in a better team I think he could very well become a world class player.

We are not going to be able to buy a Berbatov or Keane at this late stage of the window, biu I agree 100% its what we need, Owen is just not cutting it..

We've got some good strikers. Maybe a new is probably an idea though. Owen's finished and Smith's pretty gash, but Martins is quality and Viduka is a good player. That won't be enough for next season though, like you say.

We need a creative centre-midfielder above all else. Your summary of Owen was pretty accurate. If we create, he'll score. Let's get someone who'll create, then.

Try and nick Jones off the scum, in a better team I think he could very well become a world class player.

We are not going to be able to buy a Berbatov or Keane at this late stage of the window, biu I agree 100% its what we need, Owen is just not cutting it..

I'd be happy with Jones. If they go down they are not keeping a hold of him, got a release clause as well, near enough what they paid (well this is what i heard when they signed him)