Emre

steve_69

I'm willing this bloke to deliver for us, I really am. I think and hope he has a big part to play here under Keegan and I wouldn't be averse to seeing a Barton/Emre midfield given a proper run, despite some misgivings about defensive solidity and all that.

But for fuck's sake, we've had Nicky Butt and Alan Smith in there for most of the season, so can it really be much worse?

Good luck to the pair of them and I hope they both start tomorrow. Fuck knows, we might see some passes getting played if they do.

For all that people will be on the "that central midfield lacks strength/can't tackle" bandwagon (seriously, all it takes is one or two people to make a comment and it's soon a stock phrase on here) do we really have that much to lose by dropping the likes of Nicky Butt from the starting XI?

If we had a bulldozer in there like a Diop or an Essien who was charging around and bullying people then I'd understand it, but we don't and we haven't had since the might of Amdy Faye. "Breaking up play", "winning the midfield battle" and "spreading it around" are hardly phrases we've seen anywhere when referring to our football this season, so what changes?

I hope Keegan stays true to his philosophy and gives them a whirl.

I'm willing this bloke to deliver for us, I really am. I think and hope he has a big part to play here under Keegan and I wouldn't be averse to seeing a Barton/Emre midfield given a proper run, despite some misgivings about defensive solidity and all that.

But for fuck's sake, we've had Nicky Butt and Alan Smith in there for most of the season, so can it really be much worse?

Good luck to the pair of them and I hope they both start tomorrow. Fuck knows, we might see some passes getting played if they do.

For all that people will be on the "that central midfield lacks strength/can't tackle" bandwagon (seriously, all it takes is one or two people to make a comment and it's soon a stock phrase on here) do we really have that much to lose by dropping the likes of Nicky Butt from the starting XI?

If we had a bulldozer in there like a Diop or an Essien who was charging around and bullying people then I'd understand it, but we don't and we haven't had since the might of Amdy Faye. "Breaking up play", "winning the midfield battle" and "spreading it around" are hardly phrases we've seen anywhere when referring to our football this season, so what changes?

I wouldn't argue with that much like.

I think logically most managers would pick Butt and Emre/Barton but in some games you just have to say bollocks to protectiong the back four. If we want to score goals we need to create chances and we wont create chances until we have players like Emre and Barton on the pitch. Normally i wouldn't advise it but lets double our chances by playing two players in the middle who know how to run a game of football. If we have to, we can play one of them a little deeper.

However, i fully expect to see Butt and Emre start the match and i'm by no means against that.

I wouldn't argue with that much like.

I think logically most managers would pick Butt and Emre/Barton but in some games you just have to say bollocks to protectiong the back four. If we want to score goals we need to create chances and we wont create chances until we have players like Emre and Barton on the pitch. Normally i wouldn't advise it but lets double our chances by playing two players in the middle who know how to run a game of football. If we have to, we can play one of them a little deeper.

However, i fully expect to see Butt and Emre start the match and i'm by no means against that.

It goes against conventional wisdom, but Keegan is one manager who in the past has picked a midfield with no defensive midfielder. During our title-charge season we went 12 points clear with mostly Lee Clark in a holding role, Batty was brought in during the run in. Whether you could do that these days I'm not sure, but I'd far rather see that approach than the twin defensive midfielder approach used by Souness and Allardyce.

Ideally I'd like to see Faye and Emre given a crack together. Faye's physical presence would dovetail nicely with Emre's flair in theory at least.

Guest toonlass

He needs to either score more or assist more or both. Until he does that then he will not be performing to his potential.

More than that he needs to play more.

I think we need Faye in the centre of defence, unfortunately, otherwise I'd be inclined to agree.

Yes, we need to clone Faye and play Faye Mk II in defence, releasing Faye MkI further upfield.

Guest Erich von Manstein

I think we need Faye in the centre of defence, unfortunately, otherwise I'd be inclined to agree.

Yes, we need to clone Faye and play Faye Mk II in defence, releasing Faye MkI further upfield.

Seconded. Abdoulaye Faye is Robocop dipped in tar.

Guest Stephen927

If Emre can get a solid run of games without injury in an attacking midfielder role, then I think we'll see a completely different player to that of the past few years.

Emre is a player who relies heavily on confidence, sadly with a couple of niggly injury problems, playing in a deeper role, he hasn't been able to really express himself.

If you play him with a player like Barton, they are both relatively similar in that they are alright defensively and decent attacking, if you can get them two to click and to cover each others runs, we'll have a decent, creative central midfield.

I find it interesting how a player like Emre has so many threads dedicated to what he can and cannot do and where he can and cannot play, while the likes of Nicky Butt barely gets a mention.

Is it simply because we expect more from Emre when compared with Butt and so judge him more harshly?

Quite an interesting thing to think about, really, and it could apply to other members of the squad as well.

Guest Erich von Manstein

I find it interesting how a player like Emre has so many threads dedicated to what he can and cannot do and where he can and cannot play, while the likes of Nicky Butt barely gets a mention.

Is it simply because we expect more from Emre when compared with Butt and so judge him more harshly?

Quite an interesting thing to think about, really, and it could apply to other members of the squad as well.

Butt is shit now. I'd make a straight swap for him with Faye when Faye is next available.

I think people are wrong about not needing a DM. We had the Parker/Emre oartnership which was only effective under souness when he tried to make Parker a DM. Under Roeder, Emre was most effective with Butt, becasue under Roeder he gave  Parker a Gerrard type role. 

Barton is very similar to Parker.

How should we use him?

Emre is a bit of CM Michael Owen. He can go missing for parts of the game (obviously to a less extent than Owen), but then he's got that extra bit of class that might just produce a goal.

In the league, he's only played for more than 60 minutes in five games (13 appearences in total, 578 minutes on the pitch) and he's scored 1 goal and got 5 assists. That equals one goal every 96 minutes, which is quite decent, if you ask me. He is, despite his short time on the pitch, the one who has created most goals for us this season (Zoggy's got 3 goals and 2 assists).

Guest Harry-Norway

Emre is more then good enough,all he needs is more games.

Cant understand why both Big S and KK prefer the Butt fucker before Emre

Not a fan at all, never produced consistently, can't tackle, not particularly fast and to be honest, I haven't seen any sort of good passing game from him in recent memory.  Runs around a lot and looks like he is trying which seems to win favour with fans but generally if that's the best we have then we are seriously needing new players.

Beye    Taylor Cacapa    Enrique

Faye

Emre

Milner                                Duff

Owen          Martins

That team should be enough to give any of the teams outside the top four a bloody good game.

I would like to see Faye tried in defensive midfield .  The back 4 have had little/no  protection from Nicky Butt/Smith etc so hopefully with Faye in there who seems to know how to do the job ........the back 4 may not be under as much pressure as well as not having to worry as much about waves of attacks ploughing through our non existent protection of recent games. If we still ship goals, stick him back in the defence!

Seems like people have been waiting for Emre to deliver since the day he arrived.

Anyone got stats on his Games Played, Goals and Assists since his arrival? He seems to be injured pretty often (another hamstring strain now isnt it?) and most of his goals and assists come from free kicks, I used to really like him, but dont see what he produces consistently week in week out, in open play.

Every manager of every team we play will tell his lads "give Emre a kick", he will eaither snap and lash out and get sent off or it just takes him out the game as he is to busy looking for revenge and winning at the ref about it.

Its shocking I know they he gets kicked so much, but if its going to have that kind of effect then they wil lall do it to him.