Keegan: New Signings "Unlikely"

Rich

Signs are not good on transfers: Kev

Alan Oliver

KEVIN KEEGAN has admitted the transfer deadline is likely to pass Newcastle United by.

It’s not exactly the news United supporters want to hear coming hard on last night’s 3-0 defeat by Arsenal at The Emirates – the same scoreline when the two teams met in the FA Cup on Saturday.

But Keegan quickly added that there will be exciting times ahead in the summer when he expects to bring in several top-class players.

The Chronicle revealed yesterday that United had slapped in a bid for Derby County’s exciting teenager Giles Barnes, but Rams boss Paul Jewell did not want to know.

Keegan does not think the Barnes deal can be resurrected or that there is time to sign anyone else who can strengthen his squad before midnight tomorrow.

And while you can never say never as far as United are concerned, Keegan told me: “I’ll be honest with you – I’ve sat down and looked, and there isn’t anyone out there who is going to strengthen us better than when the four players to come back from the African Nations Cup.”

If Keegan does not expect to be involved in any last-day buying, he is clearly not interested in letting any of his first-team squad go.

Several clubs have been eyeing United players such as strikers Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll.

But the United boss added: “I cannot let anybody go out. I’ve had inquiries for three players – one loan and two to sell – but I can’t do it. It would be madness.

“It would be impossible to sell as I haven’t got enough players.”

United are hoping to add one player to their staff in the next 48 hours but he is a young Italian who, if he does put pen to paper, is likely to be one for the future.

So after talking about bringing in three or four players a fortnight ago Keegan has had to have a reality check.

To make matters worse, not only did United lose last night but they have now picked up just a single point out of their last six games and have failed to score in their last four Premier League matches.

And N’Zogbia’s booking last night brings a one-match ban, meaning that he will sit out the game at Villa Park a week on Saturday.

But at least Joey Barton is back in the picture after coming off the bench last night to only mild taunts from the Arsenal supporters, while Emre completed his three-match ban and is available for Sunday’s derby match with Middlesbrough at St James’s Park.

This leaves Mark Viduka, but only the Aussie striker seems to knows whether he will be ready to face his former club.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/01/30/signs-are-not-good-on-transfers-kev-72703-20412227/

Most unblanced, toothless squad in the premiership for the rest of the season, well done NUFC, at least you got Wise in eh?  :clap:

It's ok putting the plans for the future in place, but what if we're in the championship next season?

Not saying we will but never say never in football

Most unblanced, toothless squad in the premiership for the rest of the season, well done NUFC, at least you got Wise in eh?  :clap:

come on nufc ...you know toons taylor just loves getting people in...no matter what quality.

I refuse to listen to any article written by Alan 'socks off' Oliver. He can give me all the Keegan quotes in the world, I aint buying it.

Could be a smokescreen for Kaka!  :laugh2:

Smokescreen... now there's a word you see without fail towards the end of every transfer window.

The squad isn't great, but it's more than good enough to finish mid-table with the right direction. I can't believe that this is anything other than simply not being able to get players in that are significant upgrades. Why bring a load of new faces in only to want them all replaced again in the summer?

Keegan had what, two weeks? Starting from cold, it's no surprise he's not found anyone worth taking a risk on.

My worry now shifts on to whether Keegan can provide the lift we desperately need on the pitch.

The squad isn't great, but it's more than good enough to finish mid-table with the right direction. I can't believe that this is anything other than simply not being able to get players in that are significant upgrades. Why bring a load of new faces in only to want them all replaced again in the summer?

Keegan had what, two weeks? Starting from cold, it's no surprise he's not found anyone worth taking a risk on.

My worry now shifts on to whether Keegan can provide the lift we desperately need on the pitch.

he did..woodgate and barnes (that we know of).

It's ok putting the plans for the future in place, but what if we're in the championship next season?

Without any signings thats an even greater possibility right now.

come on nufc ...you know toons taylor just loves getting people in...no matter what quality.

I like quality players and would of liek to see some at my club for once in a bluemoon, problem with that?

Its sane not to make panic buys.

We will get a hell of a summer.

Van Buyten

Riise

C.Poulsen

Van der Vaart

Maxi Rodriguez

Johan Elmander

:-)

I'm surprised more people don't mention this player when suggesting possible signings.. fantastic  talent.

he did..woodgate and barnes (that we know of).

They aren't really risks though are they? I meant more this procession of foreign players we've been supposedly linked with.

Without any signings thats an even greater possibility right now.

thats the difference...you say "any" i say "quality"

I thought the Barnes deal may have been done but it seems we are not willing to pay more than £1.5mill for him, yet if we think he will improve our squad why are we not willing to pay more ? I think Derby wanted around £3mill, is that to much for a player that will improve us?

Not even a loan deal for anyone being looked at? seems a little strange to have given up already with a day and a half left to go int he transfer window.

given

beye

faye

taylor

enrique

milner

barton/butt/emre

charles

duff

owen/oba

viduka/smith

more than good enough to stay up imo.

i can understand peoples disappointment at no-one coming in, but we changed manager just over 2 weeks ago and are going through huge change.

once again we are going to have to put this season down to transition, get behind the lads and get ready for the summer clearout and next season.

I thought the Barnes deal may have been done but it seems we are not willing to pay more than £1.5mill for him, yet if we think he will improve our squad why are we not willing to pay more ? I think Derby wanted around £3mill, is that to much for a player that will improve us?

Not even a loan deal for anyone being looked at? seems a little strange to have given up already with a day and a half left to go int he transfer window.

Are you just making these figures up man? Fucking hell, no wonder people are disappointed.

Are you just making these figures up man? f****** hell, no wonder people are disappointed.

Nope, those are the figures that were doing the rounds in the media.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3273318.ece