Isn't it about time we had an argument about THE BOARD?!?!?!?!?!

magorific

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

That is all. www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics

How many has Giles Barnes got Dave out of interest?

:D

1 goal, 1 assist, in a worse team ;)

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

A worse team that he can't get a regular start in?

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

do you think he'd get in our side at RW ahead of Milner?

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

Well this is a fruitless conversation. You rate our midfielders above Barnes. I rate Barnes above our midfielders. We agreed?

The attractive thing is a load of bollocks. Players come for the money, and that's pretty much it.

Still doesn't change the fact that Keegan obviously couldn't get the level of upgrades he wanted, for whatever reason.

Sorry, but that's rubbish. Obviously money is a massive factor, but if a player sees a struggling club heading the wrong way in the division, they're more than likely going to turn the move down.

Players want to play in Europe, or get first team football. Our best bet is to find the players from the top clubs who can't get games. However; Spurs, Portsmouth, Villa, Man City and Everton are all better prospects than us at the moment, despite the wages we're able to offer. (having said that, the low bid for Barnes shows me that we're more likely to keep a closer check on the budget now, so we might not be offering big wages anymore either).

How did Boro attract Alves? Or any of their players for that matter.

Those clubs are in better shape than us because of Allardyce (and their respective managers), not the board IMO.

Did we even try for Alves?

My personal opinion (which I made clear the day we appointed Keegan) is that we've signed nobody because of the timing of his appointment. Whoever is to blame (this board, the old board, Keegan, Allardyce) I really think we've made a huge huge mistake by not signing some quality (especially to play in midfield). I know people laugh when relegation is mentioned, but it really looks a bit ominous on current form.

I've said similar before myself; I agree with you about the timing of the managerial change. And I agree it's a mistake not to improve the midfield, just not the degree of linking it to a relegation battle. Or in NE5's case, linking it to some overall lack of ambition by the board and as an excuse to slate them. The recovery mission was always going to be difficult for Keegan, but I think we'll be reasonably comfortable this season.

Ashley has to show me what he's all about in the summer.

Dave. I think lack of ambition is the biggest reason to slate a board possible. So I'm slagging a perceived lack of ambition. This is their role in the football club. And NUFC boards should back their managers like the boards at the likes of Liverpool, at least. What is difficult about this, and why do you think its wrong of me to "slate" them for it.

There's no differing standards here between the current board and the new board from me, although there quite clearly is with numerous other people, including yourself.

My view is pretty straightforward. They show ambition for the club,  or they get deserved criticism. We needed some ambitiion in this window. We aren't in a good position. The merits of improving our position now and making us more attractive in the summer has been laid out too. Its undeniable. Those who can't see it, simply don't want to as they have some reason for not criticising Ashley and Mort is how I see it, when they were quick to slate the old board.

There's only one agenda here mate.

There were plenty of reasons to slate the old board, namely numerous years experience of them. I'm personally willing to give the new lot a little slack for now, as they are clearly feeling their way into things.

HOWEVER, if they don't take steps to show greater ambition towards developing the first team in the summer they'll receive deserved criticism, including from me. I am confident this will happen though. It makes no sense not to.

Many fans on here are not happy now, so I don't know why you are ignoring them. I feel many events that have happened so far could have been handled better.

Most worringly is that nobody knows why Woodgate preferred Spurs, and the simple fact that we have signed nobody when we needed somebody.

It speaks volumes to be honest

Running the club "as a business" is not what people think ie the grass isn't always greener. Without meaning to patronise, some people like me speak from experience. Others correctly are worried by the signs.

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

I don't think I've ever seen him play out on the right so it's hard to say, we've seen in the past where you think someone could play well in a certain position yet when they do they look poor, if Barnes did come here I would have either him or Milner in our starting 11.

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

Well this is a fruitless conversation. You rate our midfielders above Barnes. I rate Barnes above our midfielders. We agreed?

Agreed.

NE5 - Would you prefer Keegan to sign players now that he doesn't really want for the sake of it or would you prefer him to wait until the Summer to get the players he wants when they will be available? 10 bonus points if you can answer it without mentioning Shepherd or the old boards.

Can you answer this please, NE5?

This is the 3rd time I've asked you.

NE5 - Would you prefer Keegan to sign players now that he doesn't really want for the sake of it or would you prefer him to wait until the Summer to get the players he wants when they will be available? 10 bonus points if you can answer it without mentioning Shepherd or the old boards.

Why are you assuming he'd sign players 'he didn't really want' strange assumption....And what's to say quality players he wants WILL be available in the summer. Don't you think we should have moved heaven and earth to give the mf a boost for the remainder of the season? There are still PLENTY of points to fight for...

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

I don't think I've ever seen him play out on the right so it's hard to say, we've seen in the past where you think someone could play well in a certain position yet when they do they look poor, if Barnes did come here I would have either him or Milner in our starting 11.

he's played on the right for Derby in the Championship, that was the position i saw him in first iirc.

Why are you assuming he'd sign players 'he didn't really want' strange assumption....And what's to say quality players he wants WILL be available in the summer. Don't you think we should have moved heaven and earth to give the mf a boost for the remainder of the season? There are still PLENTY of points to fight for...

In an ideal world, we should have signed a few good players. But Keegan was only recently appointed, and hes inherited a squad with some vastly overrated and overpaid players who dont perform despite their reputation, meaning its going to be difficult to shift them - and on top of this, this was the January window when plenty of clubs arent willing to sell.

The question was directed at NE5 so I still hope he answers it.

Me assuming they were players he didn't really want because both he and Terry Mac have said that it looked like they would have to wait until the Summer for the players he wants to become available, which means either Keegan is waiting until the Summer to go for those players or he's lying to cover the board, now considering he walked out on the club when he didn't get the backing he was promised last time it leads me to believe that he'd do it again, surely if there were other players he wanted then he'd have gone for them? Unless of course he's not being backed and is lying to cover them.

As for this season, Keegan being happy to wait until the Summer to get the players he wants (his words) suggests he's happy to write this season off if he thinks he can get what he wants then, similar to how he was happy to muddle along with Paul Kitson when we sold Cole so that he could get Ferdinand when he was available in the Summer.

In an ideal world, we should have signed a few good players. But Keegan was only recently appointed, and hes inherited a squad with some vastly overrated and overpaid players who dont perform despite their reputation, meaning its going to be difficult to shift them - and on top of this, this was the January window when plenty of clubs arent willing to sell.

I understand all of that. But tbf if I was a billionaire owner I would have conferred with one of the coaches/scouts/hangers-oners/agents/fatblokeinpub/Ventere/Jiminez/Terry Mac/agents/super-agents/bung merchants/fixers/night school truants/ nutters/ friends of nutters/ bloggers...If there was perhaps ONE player we could nick from somewhere with a bit of quality. No?  bluerazz.gif

Premier League assists:

N'Zogbia - 4

Emre - 3

Geremi - 2

Martins - 2

Smith - 2

Enrique - 1

Milner - 1

Owen - 1

Ramage - 1

Taylor - 1

Out of interest how many times have you seen Barnes play in the premiership?

What is Barnes position? im sure he was left of midfield against us at SJP

Guest RodrigoPalacio

I've seen Barnes countless times, and trust me, he wouldn't fit in here.  He's not that good and he loves to hide away in games.  He is the master at backing out of a challenge and he's also quite good at not tracking back anarl.

Are you suggesting we never had a single disappointing transfer window/summer under the old lot?

not suggesting anything Dave. I find the hypocrisy of standards - which boils down completely to personalities - quite amazing.

Simple fact is that I've seen this before. Unambitious board who aren't prepared to compete with the winning clubs but attempt to pacify fans with talk of "youth systems", "the future plans"....blah blah, other such bollocks.

Simple fact also is that you need players the top teams want if you want to challenge them, never mind beat them. Particularly incredible is the fact that Keegan showed everybody this the first time round. I don't think Mort has the slightest clue about football and how it works. They / he [interesting one this, will it be Ashleys fault as major shareholder or Morts as chairman if Keegan fucks off or fails] will have to catch on quickly or Keegan will put them under pressure or bugger off. Quite right too if he does under those circumstances.

I simply don't buy the people who are now supporting this deluded "kids policy" instead of spending money, when all we heard every other week under the old board was "splash the cash you greedy fat b******"

Amazing.

The sooner we are back in europe the better. And if Ashley and Mort don't realise this, for me they can both bugger off.

Right. I think it's now plainly obvious that your agenda is merely to attack the new board regardless. When you say things like "people are supporting the kids policy INSTEAD of buying big players" etc....

That's a load of bollocks LM and you know it. People are saying that it will do us no harm to try and uncover a few gems in the process, until we are able to attract the Berbatovs of this world!! No one is saying the board to should aim to produce an entire first team from youth talent!!! But if one or two turn out to be useful, then why not?

Amazing

Shame, but I think for a long time the agenda of numerous people was simply to attack the old board whatever they did regardless. And still is, in fact.

Buying up the best kids and ignoring the present is nothing other than taking a punt at gaining success on the cheap, and doesn't bode well I'm afraid.

I've tried to tell you it doesn't work, because it hasn't in the past at pretty much any other club plus common sense tells you it isn't so simple as this - so if you think differently, then of course thats your opinion. I look forward to seeing your u-turn.

Do you mean when we tried it with Bassedas, Cort, Bramble etc...?

You could look at Craig Bellamy and Laurent Robert if you like, but it wouldn't suit your "opinion" would it.

As you are unable to distinguish the difference between the board backing their managers, and where it becomes the managers responsibility to make good judgements rather than poor ones [bobby Robson too] there is really no point in attempting to explain this to you.

You've got me all wrong, and you are still seemingly reluctant to read my posts properly, and answer to "facts" you pointed out.

Bellamy and Robert are EXACTLY the type of signings we should be making. As we did with Ferdinand, Ginola and Batty. Quality players, in their prime, that would have walked into the top clubs at the time. I am in no way disputing that whatsoever.

What I'm saying is that for some reason, we haven't gone out and bought these players in the summer (for somewhat obvious reasons being the takeover and big sam's uncertainty over his own future and the assessment the new owners felt they needed to make). We couldn't sign this type of player in January due to the arrival of a new manager, and little time left in the window. Now...would it have been better not to have signed anyone at all? I'm in no way arguing that we shouldn't go after the top players. But what I'm saying is that if for whatever reason we didn't or couldn't, then there is no harm in bringing in some youth, and taking a chance that one or two might turn out better than average. They could either be integrated into the first team, or sold at a profit. WHAT'S THE HARM IN THAT? (question in caps so you don't miss it).

As for your argument, which you continue to avoid answering to.....i listed the players you said were youth players we bought the last time we went down the "kids policy" route. I responded by saying that those were NOT youth team signings, and that some were even above 20 at the time and established internationals/first team players.

Please read the post carefully so you don't misinterpret what I'm saying, and give a fair response, as I'm trying to have a debate. If you choose not to, then don't waste my time or yours. I'm hoping....but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, you conveniently ignore the FACT that we made a bid for Jonathan Woodgate this window. A big player in his prime.

I've answered your post. I would also point out that we didn't buy Woodgate, unlike last time, also in the January window.

Perhaps, as has been pointed out, Woodgate saw Spurs as a more progressive club than us ? How does that grab you, because they certainly weren't when we were run by the halls and Shepherd. And strangely too, they were more progressive than we were before the halls and Shepherd.

Work it out for yourself, but don't let personalities or the facts I've just told you, affect your "opinion"

We didn't get Woodgate because the fact is that we have gone backwards since he was here the first time. We started to go backwards because Shepherd made some abysmal decisions in appointing Souness and Roeder (still believe Big Sam was a good decision).

No one disputes the fact that the Halls/Shepherd/Keegan were the ones to thank for putting Newcastle back on the map, and turning us into perennial big hitters. But when things start to sour, and people with responsibility begin to make mistakes, then they need to go. Just as one needs to sell a player once he's past it regardless of how good they were in the past.

The new regime has been in for 5 minutes, and you're accusing them of lack of ambition. I think that is bullshit, and smacks of bitterness. Shepherd had been there for years, and people got on his back when they had seen enough. Believe you me, if the new board are here for a while, and begin to make mistakes year after year, and show signs of ineptitude year after year, I'll want them out too. So far they haven't had anywhere near enough time to do what they want to do, but imo they have signaled their intentions loud and clear. Obviously, action speaks louder than words, and we can only hope, wait and see.

As for you answering my question regarding the players you claim were youth signings....I still can't find the answer. How on earth were Bramble, Cort, Bassedas (:lol:), O'Brien, LuaLua comparable as youth signings to Tozer, Kadar, Baheng, Zamblera and Sodeberg???

Well done, you join the ranks of those who rather absurdly think that for some reason the major shareholdes ie the Halls, stood back and allowed someone with less shares to make the major decisions all on his own.

..........blah blah blah

If Mort et al were to spend big this summer would you eat your words, would that put you 100% behind them? If not why?

I just dont understad who else we could of signed? If there were loads of people available and suitable then why were Portsmouth, Villa et al  not after them after them?

I understand all of that. But tbf if I was a billionaire owner I would have conferred with one of the coaches/scouts/hangers-oners/agents/fatblokeinpub/Ventere/Jiminez/Terry Mac/agents/super-agents/bung merchants/fixers/night school truants/ nutters/ friends of nutters/ bloggers...If there was perhaps ONE player we could nick from somewhere with a bit of quality. No?  bluerazz.gif

But then that goes back to Baggio's point about signing someone just for the sake of it. If the recently appointed manager has only had a small amount of time in which to put forward a few names, and all of them turn out to be dead ends because clubs didnt want to sell (Pandev?) or players didnt want to come here (Woodgate), then theres not much that can be done other than to go out and sign someone who wasnt on the manager's radar.

We need to stop signing players that the manager doesnt truly want or need, otherwise we're going to end up with yet more Owen's, Duff's, Luque's, etc.

but isn't the fat bastard the only chairman in the game who appointed and fired people at the "wrong time" ? All on his own too without consulting his major shareholders

Terrible, this embarrassment eh. Fancy getting the timing all wrong again.

Precisely.

This strange defense of the current regime, when the old one would have been absolutely slaughtered is rather stange, even more so when you consider they had proved their ambition for the club many times over and over again

Are you suggesting we never had a single disappointing transfer window/summer under the old lot?

not suggesting anything Dave. I find the hypocrisy of standards - which boils down completely to personalities - quite amazing.

Simple fact is that I've seen this before. Unambitious board who aren't prepared to compete with the winning clubs but attempt to pacify fans with talk of "youth systems", "the future plans"....blah blah, other such bollocks.

Simple fact also is that you need players the top teams want if you want to challenge them, never mind beat them. Particularly incredible is the fact that Keegan showed everybody this the first time round. I don't think Mort has the slightest clue about football and how it works. They / he [interesting one this, will it be Ashleys fault as major shareholder or Morts as chairman if Keegan fucks off or fails] will have to catch on quickly or Keegan will put them under pressure or bugger off. Quite right too if he does under those circumstances.

I simply don't buy the people who are now supporting this deluded "kids policy" instead of spending money, when all we heard every other week under the old board was "splash the cash you greedy fat b******"

Amazing.

The sooner we are back in europe the better. And if Ashley and Mort don't realise this, for me they can both bugger off.

Right. I think it's now plainly obvious that your agenda is merely to attack the new board regardless. When you say things like "people are supporting the kids policy INSTEAD of buying big players" etc....

That's a load of bollocks LM and you know it. People are saying that it will do us no harm to try and uncover a few gems in the process, until we are able to attract the Berbatovs of this world!! No one is saying the board to should aim to produce an entire first team from youth talent!!! But if one or two turn out to be useful, then why not?

Amazing

Shame, but I think for a long time the agenda of numerous people was simply to attack the old board whatever they did regardless. And still is, in fact.

Buying up the best kids and ignoring the present is nothing other than taking a punt at gaining success on the cheap, and doesn't bode well I'm afraid.

I've tried to tell you it doesn't work, because it hasn't in the past at pretty much any other club plus common sense tells you it isn't so simple as this - so if you think differently, then of course thats your opinion. I look forward to seeing your u-turn.

Do you mean when we tried it with Bassedas, Cort, Bramble etc...?

You could look at Craig Bellamy and Laurent Robert if you like, but it wouldn't suit your "opinion" would it.

As you are unable to distinguish the difference between the board backing their managers, and where it becomes the managers responsibility to make good judgements rather than poor ones [bobby Robson too] there is really no point in attempting to explain this to you.

You've got me all wrong, and you are still seemingly reluctant to read my posts properly, and answer to "facts" you pointed out.

Bellamy and Robert are EXACTLY the type of signings we should be making. As we did with Ferdinand, Ginola and Batty. Quality players, in their prime, that would have walked into the top clubs at the time. I am in no way disputing that whatsoever.

What I'm saying is that for some reason, we haven't gone out and bought these players in the summer (for somewhat obvious reasons being the takeover and big sam's uncertainty over his own future and the assessment the new owners felt they needed to make). We couldn't sign this type of player in January due to the arrival of a new manager, and little time left in the window. Now...would it have been better not to have signed anyone at all? I'm in no way arguing that we shouldn't go after the top players. But what I'm saying is that if for whatever reason we didn't or couldn't, then there is no harm in bringing in some youth, and taking a chance that one or two might turn out better than average. They could either be integrated into the first team, or sold at a profit. WHAT'S THE HARM IN THAT? (question in caps so you don't miss it).

As for your argument, which you continue to avoid answering to.....i listed the players you said were youth players we bought the last time we went down the "kids policy" route. I responded by saying that those were NOT youth team signings, and that some were even above 20 at the time and established internationals/first team players.

Please read the post carefully so you don't misinterpret what I'm saying, and give a fair response, as I'm trying to have a debate. If you choose not to, then don't waste my time or yours. I'm hoping....but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, you conveniently ignore the FACT that we made a bid for Jonathan Woodgate this window. A big player in his prime.

I've answered your post. I would also point out that we didn't buy Woodgate, unlike last time, also in the January window.

Perhaps, as has been pointed out, Woodgate saw Spurs as a more progressive club than us ? How does that grab you, because they certainly weren't when we were run by the halls and Shepherd. And strangely too, they were more progressive than we were before the halls and Shepherd.

Work it out for yourself, but don't let personalities or the facts I've just told you, affect your "opinion"

We didn't get Woodgate because the fact is that we have gone backwards since he was here the first time. We started to go backwards because Shepherd made some abysmal decisions in appointing Souness and Roeder (still believe Big Sam was a good decision).

No one disputes the fact that the Halls/Shepherd/Keegan were the ones to thank for putting Newcastle back on the map, and turning us into perennial big hitters. But when things start to sour, and people with responsibility begin to make mistakes, then they need to go. Just as one needs to sell a player once he's past it regardless of how good they were in the past.

The new regime has been in for 5 minutes, and you're accusing them of lack of ambition. I think that is bullshit, and smacks of bitterness. Shepherd had been there for years, and people got on his back when they had seen enough. Believe you me, if the new board are here for a while, and begin to make mistakes year after year, and show signs of ineptitude year after year, I'll want them out too. So far they haven't had anywhere near enough time to do what they want to do, but imo they have signaled their intentions loud and clear. Obviously, action speaks louder than words, and we can only hope, wait and see.

As for you answering my question regarding the players you claim were youth signings....I still can't find the answer. How on earth were Bramble, Cort, Bassedas (:lol:), O'Brien, LuaLua comparable as youth signings to Tozer, Kadar, Baheng, Zamblera and Sodeberg???

Well done, you join the ranks of those who rather absurdly think that for some reason the major shareholdes ie the Halls, stood back and allowed someone with less shares to make the major decisions all on his own.

..........blah blah blah

If Mort et al were to spend big this summer would you eat your words, would that put you 100% behind them? If not why?

I just dont understad who else we could of signed? If there were loads of people available and suitable then why were Portsmouth, Villa et al  not after them after them?

I've no words to eat. If they do, better late than never, assuming Keegan hasn't pissed off of course.

Why the u-turn anyway ? You were absolutely adamant the club shouldn't be spending money a short while ago ?

but isn't the fat bastard the only chairman in the game who appointed and fired people at the "wrong time" ? All on his own too without consulting his major shareholders

Are you fucking mental? Loads of people were unhappy about the timing of Allardyce's sacking.

You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Precisely.

This strange defense of the current regime, when the old one would have been absolutely slaughtered is rather stange, even more so when you consider they had proved their ambition for the club many times over and over again

if ashley does well for the club, takes us forward into a brave new era, and then he starts taking us backwards and has to sell up to someone so they can have a go, i'm gonna end up like you aren't i?

Are you fucking mental? Loads of people were unhappy about the timing of Allardyce's sacking.

You're just embarrassing yourself now.

don't think you get the point Dave.

Loads of people insinuated that the fat bastard was the only person who got this "timing" business wrong.........

Clearly not. The don't "hate" the current regime for getting the "timing wrong" then >?