Ryan Donaldson

James

In a recent interview, Wenger said that he reckons the England U17's have finally reached the level he expects from an international youth team, and said that he'd be happy to bring the majority of the squad to Arsenal's academy if he could.

Newcastle's only representative in this squad, Ryan Donaldson, has scored 9 in 6. Looks very promising.

Quite a few people seem to be harping on about how much of a big prospect he is, and for once I dont mean us.

I've not seen him play but going on other people's opinions he does sound like he's going to be a good player, but hopefully too much pressure won't be put upon him like most other prospects.

As promising as Ryan Donaldson is, Newcastle should be pinning their future hopes on more than just player.  Personally, I'm happy that Wenger likes the look of the u17 squad.  Spurs have 3 at the Algarve tournament (Parrett, Townsend and Smith), Arsenal 2 (Bartley and Watt), Chelsea 2 (Mellis and Nouble), Villa had to pull out Delfouneso and Forrester.  They are doing well over there btw having won 3-0 and 2-0 with the final match tomorrow.  Reports on the first two games are:

http://www.thefa.com/England/U17s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/17sDENMARKreport.htm

http://www.thefa.com/England/U17s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/17sFrancereport.htm

Overall, the picture for Newcastle doesn't look so great. In the groups u16 - u20 inclusive, there are just 2 players named (Carroll is the other), Villa have 4, Spurs 5, Chelsea 8, Arsenal 9.  That shows the challenge that Dennis Wise has got, and, tbh, what the other clubs have got to do to keep up with Arsenal and Chelsea.

Godsmark & LuaLua seems to get a lot of praise, granted they are both 17 now, but only just.

Don't think anyone is pinning any hope on any of our youngsters, we just wish them well and love it when one breaks through.

When was the last time an English Arsenal, Manu, Liverpool or Chelsea Youngster broke through to the 1st team and stayed there?

I can't think of any massive examples off the top of my head, nothing is really standing out.

PS: I thought Ben Tozer had played for the U17's?

The hype for Portillo at Real Madrid was worse than Chopra's. I heard so many times "he has scored more goals than Raul at youth level". Where is he now? A perfect example of how pointless talking about academy players is.

I agree with what you said about Portillo. But for every Portillo there are many other Rooneys, Messis.

The hype for Portillo at Real Madrid was worse than Chopra's. I heard so many times "he has scored more goals than Raul at youth level". Where is he now? A perfect example of how pointless talking about academy players is.

I agree with what you said about Portillo. But for every Portillo there are many other Rooneys, Messis.

No, it's the other way around. Honestly. There's only one Rooney and one Messi, but there are a fuck load more of Portillos/Chopras in the footballing world. I'm stunned that you believe that there are more wonderkids who become world class players than youngsters with potential who fail to make the step-up.

Please point us towards these 'many others'?!

Surley Freddy Adu deserves a mention, when he was 14 people were saying he's the next Pele..look at him now.

Where is he by the way? I last heard he was off to benfica.

Still there, gets some game time everynow and then but hardley a regular.

All the attention on Adu allowed Altidore mature into a potentially great player. So, it's not all bad.

I just think its pointless talking about a player until he has made it into the first team squad. The academy lads and reserve teams should be supported, but stop trying to speculate what will happen - just enjoy it when it does rather than trying to make yourself look like a superfan by saying "i saw him play for the under 11s" or whatever