Munich air disaster - a fine example of where the media's loyalty lies

Guest Phil K

Guest Knightrider

I think where your former players are better than todays players is in technique. Regardless though, I think your top players then would be top players now and vice versa with your top players today. I do think your not so top players back then however would be even better today or classed as better players than they were back then by fans, pundits and peers alike. I think there were more better players back then than there are today too, the talent was more evenly spread.

Guest toonlass

Just wondering, do all the clubs have to have a minutes silence over the weekend? If so, why? I can appreciate than Man U would want to, but I don't think we all need to cow-tow to something that happened 50 years ago. The whole country is becoming like the liverpudlians now, a minutes silence for a late fucking bus. Silences, applause and arm bands should be a clubs personal choice, like the one we had for Jordan Thompson earlier this season, as poinient as any tribute, but personal to our club.

As far as I'm aware, Manchester United has already held a remembrance service on the actual 50th anniversary of the fateful day. They opened the stands and paid their respects to the people who lost their lives. Anyone who wanted to be there to share the moment has had ample opportunity to pay their own personal respects.

.....but why on Earth do they need to hold another minute's silence? They've shown their respects and marked the anniversary earlier on in the week. Even the national team had a minute's 'silence' ffs. I'm not brushing it aside or disrespecting them but why do they feel the need to go through it all again?  :undecided:

Guest toonlass

I am not being disrespectful, but it means fuck all to me, as a 33 year old Newcastle fan. Yes, I am sure it is sad to the families of the people who died, but all the people at Old Trafford on the 6th, what the hell does it mean to them? I am sure that a lot of them were there for nowt more than media reasons.

I am not being disrespectful, but it means f*** all to me, as a 33 year old Newcastle fan. Yes, I am sure it is sad to the families of the people who died, but all the people at Old Trafford on the 6th, what the hell does it mean to them? I am sure that a lot of them were there for nowt more than media reasons.

You say you are 33?

Well, 33 is a bit old to STILL not realise that you can feel very strongly and really 'care' about something (lots of things) that happened on our planet before you happened to arrive on it.

I think I was about 9, when I first realised that "it didn't all start and end with me!"

Really fed up of hearing about this. I appreciate Man Utd want to pay their respects but why do we need to hear about every ten mins on Sky.  :rockyII:

Guest king harry

Me Dad has seen some great players at there peak, pele, maradona the lot. He says that on his day, henever see a player as good as Georgir Best, said he had everything in his game (and me dad is a liverpool fanatic). I asked him about Duncan Edwards, and he said he was a good promising youngster, but hardly anyone talked about him, till after he ahd died.

Guest KeithKettleborough

There is a lot of complaining about the commemoration of this event but I imagine a lot of it is because its Man U.

I think the reason it was such a major event in footballing history is that it had never happened before to an English club, the team were champions of England and progressing in an innovative competition that many didn't feel had a future and that some of the team were internationals or at least talked about as being one. They were headliners at that time even without a disaster. If it had been Newcastle United and the same could have been said about our team, then they would still be commemorating it. The only difference is that probably we would be wanting them to.

I can recall my parents, dad a Newcastle supporter of many years who went to games, passionately willing Man U on to win the European Cup. Not because it was Man U but because of the men who died and also those who had survived and were prominently still involved with the club, Charlton, Busby, etc.

We as a country and many others too, seem to need to remember loss of life in many ways, be it major accidents, war, terrorism or even natural causes. I imagine there will be a lot of fuss in 4 years time to commemorate the sinking of the Titanic. No one will be likely to be around who was on the ship but we as a country feel the need to remember. Maybe its a nostalgia thing or maybe a way of trying to ensure that mistakes, of whatever type, aren't made again, but whatever, its history and we remember. We do this and will continue to do so and Munich will be on the list sometime again in future years even if Man u ended up in the Conference. Until the powers that be, decide we won't commemorate events like this, then they will continue to happen and there are many who feel that they should. Its historical, though anti-sentimentalists will say its histerical.

Guest Thandi_45

Apparently both teams are going to wear sponsor-less kits to mark the special occasion. Just to rub it in City's face even more!

Apparently both teams are going to wear sponsor-less kits to mark the special occasion. Just to rub it in City's face even more!

Jesus Christ. Sometimes you just have to be the bigger man. It's not all about point-scoring, ffs.

There is a lot of complaining about the commemoration of this event but I imagine a lot of it is because its Man U.

I think the reason it was such a major event in footballing history is that it had never happened before to an English club, the team were champions of England and progressing in an innovative competition that many didn't feel had a future and that some of the team were internationals or at least talked about as being one. They were headliners at that time even without a disaster. If it had been Newcastle United and the same could have been said about our team, then they would still be commemorating it. The only difference is that probably we would be wanting them to.

I can recall my parents, dad a Newcastle supporter of many years who went to games, passionately willing Man U on to win the European Cup. Not because it was Man U but because of the men who died and also those who had survived and were prominently still involved with the club, Charlton, Busby, etc.

We as a country and many others too, seem to need to remember loss of life in many ways, be it major accidents, war, terrorism or even natural causes. I imagine there will be a lot of fuss in 4 years time to commemorate the sinking of the Titanic. No one will be likely to be around who was on the ship but we as a country feel the need to remember. Maybe its a nostalgia thing or maybe a way of trying to ensure that mistakes, of whatever type, aren't made again, but whatever, its history and we remember. We do this and will continue to do so and Munich will be on the list sometime again in future years even if Man u ended up in the Conference. Until the powers that be, decide we won't commemorate events like this, then they will continue to happen and there are many who feel that they should. Its historical, though anti-sentimentalists will say its histerical.

Cracking post.

I don't care what anyone else says, watching this now, I'm moved by it. I'm sure if it was our own club, we'd all be wanting the same sort of tributes and memories shared about our lost heroes.

Feel sorry for everybody effected, it truely was a disaster.

But, i too get a bit bored of hearing about it all the time evry year. Fair enough this is the 50th anniversary, but wouldnt suprise me if its the same next year too.