Are we a graveyard club?

Theregulars

I'm celebrating 100 posts by asking something I've been wondering a while. Is it just me, or do many great players come here to see their careers just flush down the toilet? What is it about NUFC which makes players not play well for us but go on to great things with other clubs before/after playing for us? A lot of the time it's bad luck with injuries, maybe it's crowd pressure, bad coaching set up, managers lacking any tactical nouse/motivational skills since the Robson era. But just look at some of the following:

Duff- sublime at Blackburn, one of Chelsea's better players until dropped for Joe Cole. Has largely not doe a great deal for us.

Owen- regular scorer at Liverpool/Real. Know he's been unlucky with injuries but look how Shearer came back.

Jenas- clearly one of Tottenham's best players, but after a great start became crap for us.

Parker- amazing at Charlton, untested at Chelsea, now looks good for West Ham - why did he not develop when he was with us?

Barton- difficult as he's a criminal and must be lacking concentration as a result, but for Man City, despite being in trouble, he still looked really good.

There's probably more examples but I'm at work so should cut it short. My guess is the general impatience of a lot of our fans who get on peoples' backs way too easily, and it's not a comfortable environment for them to play in/they fear cocking up. But there has to be more to it than that. So many talented/promising players and ones who performed well for other teams have just flopped here/not gone on to reach what they should have. Any thoughts?

Jenas one of Spurs best players?!

The majority of fans hated him until Ramos got there and Jenas started performing again, he's always done that though.

Came here under Robson - Good start but then went shite

Robson left and Souness came in - Jenas starts performing better again before going shite in the second half of the season

Goes to Spurs under Jol - Good start at his new club but turns shite before his first season is out

Jol leaves and Ramos comes in - Jenas starts playing well again

The point is Jenas is a player that raises his game when a new manager comes in but eventually drops back into the comfort zone.

As for the rest, Duff was on his way down before he came here and Owen's are down to a serious freak injury that could have happened to anyone, our problem has been having no stability at the club since Robson left which is something I hope we get under Keegan.

I'm celebrating 100 posts by asking something I've been wondering a while. Is it just me, or do many great players come here to see their careers just flush down the toilet? What is it about NUFC which makes players not play well for us but go on to great things with other clubs before/after playing for us? A lot of the time it's bad luck with injuries, maybe it's crowd pressure, bad coaching set up, managers lacking any tactical nouse/motivational skills since the Robson era. But just look at some of the following:

Duff- sublime at Blackburn, one of Chelsea's better players until dropped for Joe Cole. Has largely not doe a great deal for us.

Owen- regular scorer at Liverpool/Real. Know he's been unlucky with injuries but look how Shearer came back.

Jenas- clearly one of Tottenham's best players, but after a great start became crap for us.

Parker- amazing at Charlton, untested at Chelsea, now looks good for West Ham - why did he not develop when he was with us?

Barton- difficult as he's a criminal and must be lacking concentration as a result, but for Man City, despite being in trouble, he still looked really good.

There's probably more examples but I'm at work so should cut it short. My guess is the general impatience of a lot of our fans who get on peoples' backs way too easily, and it's not a comfortable environment for them to play in/they fear cocking up. But there has to be more to it than that. So many talented/promising players and ones who performed well for other teams have just flopped here/not gone on to reach what they should have. Any thoughts?

I like that you assume part of any criminal mindset is a lack of concentration, must make computer fraud and the likes a real bitch for those ADHD-laden delinquents...

I like that you assume part of any criminal mindset is a lack of concentration, must make computer fraud and the likes a real bitch for those ADHD-laden delinquents...

Sorry if that was unclear, I meant he must have a lot on his mind and thus might not have a clear head to concentrate fully on playing. I know when I've got something weighing me down I find it hard to concentrate on a task in hand.

Sorry if that was unclear, I meant he must have a lot on his mind and thus might not have a clear head to concentrate fully on playing. I know when I've got something weighing me down I find it hard to concentrate on a task in hand.

Didn't really need such a personal insight...

I was thinking the other day about who was the last player who joined NUFC and really became a better player? As the original poster says, players have a shocking tendancy to stagnate or go backwards here.

To be fair, the courts have yet to convict Barton of anything yet so its harsh to call him a criminal....yet.

I was thinking the other day about who was the last player who joined NUFC and really became a better player? As the original poster says, players have a shocking tendancy to stagnate or go backwards here.

Good point - Bellamy is the most recent one I can think of which is pretty depressing.

Good point - Bellamy is the most recent one I can think of which is pretty depressing.

N'Zogbia, Faye (hasn't stagnated), Given, Bellamy, Woodgate

N'Zogbia, Faye (hasn't stagnated), Given, Bellamy, Woodgate

Cant really count the Zog as we got him at the very dawn of his career. Not sure about Woodgate either, for me he performed at the same level that won him recognition at Leeds.

Bellamy is undoutable though, he definitely made his name at Newcastle.

Top player, but i think the year before the court case was when he was at his peak. People say players peak at 28 but i reckon it can be much younger in certain cases.

Guest POWNATS

Did we not buy a defender from Real Mallorca, very highly rated at the time

Asprillia  disappointed  after a bright start. never rated him though

Totally agree with theregulars, seems to be a hex on SJP

Guest RodrigoPalacio
Are we a graveyard club?

No, We're a football club.  We've just made some shite purchases in the past 10 years.

NEXT.

What about the previous Keegan era.  Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand, Rob Lee all improved with us. Could happen again

At best that was 12 and a half years ago!

The problem has mainly been over the last 10 years when short-termism has been the mantra - we have had some shocking buys, too many to mention.Dalglish was probably the last manager to bring in some players who improved ; Given, Solano, Hamman etc.

SBR brought in Bellamy and Robert, but it is questionable as to whether they improved at NUFC ; Viana was a waste as was Cort, Gullit brought in the King of Wasters, Marcelino(Crown Prince Maric..!!)

Hopefully we will now get in youngsters who will improve rather than people looking for a last good pay-off as has been the case.

A reputation such as the one we have in Holland is hard to get rid of, and will take years to remove.

I think it is more a case that we have made a policy of paying over the odds in both transfer fees and wages. As a result, players are inevitably a disappointment.

To compound this, unfortunately but unavoidably professional players are motivated by money, especially the types who will come to a club like ours simply because we offer higher wages. Once players are on already inflated wages there is not the motivation for them to play better and get an improved contract. Play good, play shite, they still get the same at the end of the year.

Also makes it very hard to get rid of players as none want to take a wage cut, as a result players end up hitting rock bottom here.

I have no idea what the solution to this problem is, bar the obvious Russian oil billionaire one.